What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First use chemicals - bromine shock?  (Read 2522 times)

bjohnson69

First use chemicals - bromine shock?
« on: March 21, 2022, 03:59:26 am »
Hi - first time user of a hot tub hoping for some help with chemical use.
We have recently bought a house with a hot tub in place. Previous owner has drained it and tub was serviced a week ago. Supply of ph+/- and bromine granules have been left behind with test strips. I am a bit confused by the things I've read and the tutorials I've watched online given the different chemical options.

The AquaSparkle chemicals manual they left behind states we should refill the tub then apply a high level of bromine to 50mg/l (depending on tub volume) to provide an initial shock to the water before turning on the electrics and running the jets for at least an hour.
Is this correct and if so what do we do next? Presumably the bromine levels will be high after the shock, so do we have to leave it for a set time for the bromine to dissipate then test ph (looking for 7.2-7.6) and bromine (looking for 3-5ppm) again before using the tub?

Thanks for any pointers/ insight.

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

First use chemicals - bromine shock?
« on: March 21, 2022, 03:59:26 am »

A.O.

Re: First use chemicals - bromine shock?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 09:17:27 am »
Try this  https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool.9670/

Very simple and doesn't require all the chemicals the chemical people want you to buy.

Jentiferr

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 02:32:56 am »
1. Refilling the Tub and Initial Shock: As per the AquaSparkle manual you mentioned, it's recommended to add high concentration bromine to reach 50 milligrams per liter after refilling the tub, followed by running the jets for an hour. This is a common practice to ensure the appropriate chemical levels in the water before starting to use the hot tub.
2. Variation in Bromine Levels: You mentioned that bromine levels might be high after agitation. If you're concerned about elevated bromine levels, you can indeed wait for a while to let the bromine dissipate. Then, retest the pH and bromine levels in the water to ensure they are within the proper range.
3. Testing and Adjusting: Regularly testing the pH and bromine levels is crucial to ensure the safety and comfort of the water. Typically, a pH range of 7.2 to 7.6 is ideal, and bromine levels between 3 to 5 ppm (parts per million) are considered safe.
4. Maintenance Routine: Once your hot tub is in the correct chemical state, make sure to regularly test and adjust the chemical levels to maintain water quality stability. If you're wondering how long you need to wait after adding chlorine or bromine, you can check out this article for more information.
https://poolclever.com/blogs/product-blog/how-long-to-wait-after-adding-chlorine-granules-to-hot-tub

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 02:32:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42