What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spring Salt Cartridge?  (Read 4366 times)

HotTubLife

Hot Spring Salt Cartridge?
« on: March 05, 2022, 12:52:40 pm »
Hot Spring Salt Cartridge?!

What year did they make this switch?! Does anyone know if they still include the wiring for the Ace cell? I want a salt water system, but this salt cartridge nonsense is making me leery. Previously had an Envoy with the Scepter salt cell and it was a maintenance free DREAM. Doesn't look like this new cartridge system affords that. Yikes!

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spring Salt Cartridge?
« on: March 05, 2022, 12:52:40 pm »

jonat

Re: Hot Spring Salt Cartridge?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 07:33:25 pm »
I saw no reference to the Ace system in the documentation for my new Jetsetter LX.

cranbiz

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 10:09:35 am »
Why not just get a drop in unit? The Saltron Mini has a good reputation and isn't really expensive and the cell lasts for a couple of years.

HotTubLife

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 12:45:50 pm »
I'm considering a drop-in unit (but would likely go with The Hot Tub Wizard). I have to decide what I think about the aesthetics of it. Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

Sammi

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 11:09:53 pm »
I have the newer salt cartridge system and have no issues and love it. I was suspect the first 4 months but after draining the initial spa fill the system has worked great.  Better than having to replace a salt cell every couple years. My cartridges have lasted about 5 months on average.

cranbiz

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 08:46:32 am »
I'm considering a drop-in unit (but would likely go with The Hot Tub Wizard). I have to decide what I think about the aesthetics of it. Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

Most drop in units come out when the tub is in use. I know the Saltron has a cradle that it drops into when out of the tub but several drop in users have figured out how to attach it to the cover so when you open the cover, the unit comes out and lays against the cover. That makes it pretty easy and you really can't see it.

Compared to buying a 3 pack of Watkins salt cartridges at $250 that will last 15 months (on a well functioning system) or a replacement salt cell for $150 every 2 years, I think the drop in unit is a no brainer. The up front cost is in the $250 ballpark for the Saltron, not sure what the upcharge is for the Freshwater Salt system is but I'll bet it's not $250. The Hot Tub Wizard is about double the price of the Saltron and the replacement cells are around $200. Don't know if it's worth the extra simply because I have not used it, It may be.

LRing1961

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 12:44:30 pm »
I have the 2019 Limelight Flash, 360 gallons. I've had it two years and keep records on every time I've replaced the cartridge. Mine lasts about 6 weeks. Is that normal? It feels like a lot.

jonat

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 01:23:20 pm »
I think life of the cartridge depends a lot on what level you have it set at. Smaller tubs (I have the 210-gallon Jetsetter LX) can run it at 4 or 5 (I use 4), larger tubs need a higher setting that will wear out the cartridge sooner. I've had the tub only three months, but the cartridge still reads OK.

On a related topic, I note that the cartridge is not something easy to buy online - at least I have not found a source. I can buy from my dealer, of course, but was wondering if there was a reliable source that might have a lower price.

jonat

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 10:57:08 am »
To add on to my question about buying the salt cartridges...  Watkins apparently prevents dealers from selling these directly. Instead, dealers sell "water maintenance programs" where they send you a cartridge every four months. Weirdly, the cheapest option is to pick the program that also includes a silver cartridge (goes in the filter) - this saves some $40 over the salt cartridge alone. Two completely separate dealers quoted me the identical price for their program, $116.50/shipment. One dealer I found online (had to request a quote) would send you a year's supply at once for a whopping $9 savings - my dealer doesn't do that.  Can you say price fixing? Sure you can!

castletonia

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 07:03:07 pm »
To add on to my question about buying the salt cartridges...  Watkins apparently prevents dealers from selling these directly. Instead, dealers sell "water maintenance programs" where they send you a cartridge every four months. Weirdly, the cheapest option is to pick the program that also includes a silver cartridge (goes in the filter) - this saves some $40 over the salt cartridge alone. Two completely separate dealers quoted me the identical price for their program, $116.50/shipment. One dealer I found online (had to request a quote) would send you a year's supply at once for a whopping $9 savings - my dealer doesn't do that.  Can you say price fixing? Sure you can!

Not sure where you are getting that information, but as a Hot Spring / Caldera dealer, I sell salt cartridges in my store to my customers, not part of any program. 

jonat

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 08:32:28 am »
I wasn't clear - this related to online or phone sales. My dealer is a fair distance away and I haven't checked to see what they get for the cartridges. My dealer DOES sell the cartridges separately when I call - at a much higher price than the "program" that also includes the silver cartridge.

Just try to find an online dealer that advertises the salt cartridge openly.

jonat

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2023, 05:02:50 pm »
Something obviously changed - my dealer is now selling the FreshWater salt cartridges openly on their web store without having to buy anything else. The price is better, too, with a three-pack selling for $299.99 (single is $119.99). They also are having a 20% off sale with coupon code WAREHOUSE2023, so I get three for $240.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 01:00:50 pm »
Something obviously changed - my dealer is now selling the FreshWater salt cartridges openly on their web store without having to buy anything else. The price is better, too, with a three-pack selling for $299.99 (single is $119.99). They also are having a 20% off sale with coupon code WAREHOUSE2023, so I get three for $240.

What changed is Watkins is now allowing dealers to sell online whereas before we were not allowed too.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 01:00:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42