What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: About to buy a used hot tub - need some quick advice about damage  (Read 2751 times)

derekfisher707

I'm about to buy a used MasterSpa Twilight TS 8.2. It was bought new for 8k 2 years ago and I'm now buying it used for 4k.

The hot tub was in pretty much perfect condition, but the owners ended up moving and transported the tub about 3 hours north on a trailer. Since then, it's been strapped to the back of the trailer for about 4 months. The problem is that when they transported it, I think they might have strapped it down too hard or something, because the side panels seemed to have popped off - or maybe they popped off because they left it strapped down to the trailer for 4 months.

I would really appreciate it if you guys inspected these pictures I took of the tub and side panels and let me know what your thoughts are https://imgur.com/a/2FnfCB4

These are my questions:
1. How much work will it take to pop/screw these panels back in place?
2. If the side panels were popped off during transport, is there any other damage I should be concerned about?
3. Is there any possible damage that could be caused by having it strapped to this trailer for 4 months in the Utah winter weather (20-30 degrees F)? Note that the tub was originally drained during dry summer weather, so I think all the water in the pipes was long gone before winter rolled around).
4. Any important questions I need to ask the owner before buying this thing?

Hot Tub Forum

A.O.

Re: About to buy a used hot tub - need some quick advice about damage
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 01:33:44 pm »
My thought is if you think it was strapped down to tight, fill it with water and see if it leaks, something cracked maybe?

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 02:14:35 pm »
those panels are not very solid which is good news for you because you can usually 'muscle them' back into place and screw them down so they fit properly again, they can also be trimmed easily if need be.  Also, all used spas should be filled and tested before purchase imo so I would go that route just knowing it all is good you should easily be able to re-attach those panels and corner pieces

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 02:42:28 pm »
#1 RULE: DO NOT BUY A USED SPA YOU DON'T SEE RUNNING AND UP TO TEMP!
Do you live in a cold sub zero climate? If yes see rule #1

cranbiz

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 04:58:17 pm »
Danger Will Robinson!

If this was summer, I would be less hesitant. However, empty for 4 months and in freezing weather, Hard pass. There is no way they were able to get all the water out of it. I'll almost guarantee it has freeze damage. The sides can be reattached. Chasing freeze damage? You don't want to do that.

Like said above, Never buy a used spa you don't see running and all functions tested.

derekfisher707

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 06:13:45 pm »
Danger Will Robinson!

If this was summer, I would be less hesitant. However, empty for 4 months and in freezing weather, Hard pass. There is no way they were able to get all the water out of it. I'll almost guarantee it has freeze damage. The sides can be reattached. Chasing freeze damage? You don't want to do that.

Like said above, Never buy a used spa you don't see running and all functions tested.

It was emptied out in September - a very hot and dry month for Utah. My theory is that all the water must have evaporated from the pipes before winter rolled around - The temperature does not get freezing in Utah until late November or early December.

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 08:26:22 pm »
Danger Will Robinson!

It was emptied out in September - a very hot and dry month for Utah. My theory is that all the water must have evaporated from the pipes before winter rolled around - The temperature does not get freezing in Utah until late November or early December.

Even if it was in a warm climate worst thing you can do to a hot tub is take the water out for extended period of time. When the air gets at pump seals and o-rings they can decay anything metal like heater elements can rust. In the Spring I stock up on pump seals and heater elements for spas the were shut down for the Winter. Don't get me wrong lots of folks winterize their spas and don't have issues...but lots do and that is why there is rule #1. You might get lucky but they are hard to return and expensive to repair. Good Luck

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 07:04:31 am »
I'm about to buy a used MasterSpa Twilight TS 8.2. It was bought new for 8k 2 years ago and I'm now buying it used for 4k.

The hot tub was in pretty much perfect condition, but the owners ended up moving and transported the tub about 3 hours north on a trailer. Since then, it's been strapped to the back of the trailer for about 4 months. The problem is that when they transported it, I think they might have strapped it down too hard or something, because the side panels seemed to have popped off - or maybe they popped off because they left it strapped down to the trailer for 4 months.

I would really appreciate it if you guys inspected these pictures I took of the tub and side panels and let me know what your thoughts are https://imgur.com/a/2FnfCB4

These are my questions:
2. If the side panels were popped off during transport, is there any other damage I should be concerned about?
3. Is there any possible damage that could be caused by having it strapped to this trailer for 4 months in the Utah winter weather (20-30 degrees F)? Note that the tub was originally drained during dry summer weather, so I think all the water in the pipes was long gone before winter rolled around).

They bought it for 8 grand but it was only worth about 5 new. 2 years old not taken care of (you said it was strapped down to tight) likely worth very little.
Retired

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 07:16:55 am »

These are my questions:

They bought it for 8 grand but it was only worth about 5 new. 2 years old not taken care of (you said it was strapped down to tight) likely worth very little.

Or... it was an amateur removal not using a spa cart and was damaged when it was tipped onto it's side and or dropped during the removal. Just another possibility for leaks and why you don't break Rule #1. JMO

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 06:23:10 pm »
The panels would be the least of my worries for a used tub that sat 3 months that I never saw run. You can get the panels in place somehow and if they're warped and don't want to stay in place well I'd consider adding a few screws.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 06:23:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42