What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thoughts on new swim spa cover- aluminum or Duracore??  (Read 4709 times)

brownnugen

Thoughts on new swim spa cover- aluminum or Duracore??
« on: March 23, 2021, 10:04:17 pm »
I need to purchase a cover for my swim spa (Tidalfit DTL-8) and want to spend wisely so that even if it cost more upfront, it will be a better value in the long run.  Since the DTL-8 is in an "L" configuration, I will need to purchase 2 covers (one for swim part and one for spa part) so this is going to be even more expensive.

I don't want to have to buy a cover every 5-7 years, so I want something that will hopefully last forever (15+ years??).

Doing some quick research on the aluminum ones, I see a few different websites (belitespacovers, aluminumspacovers, and uscovers) that sell them, but the information all looks very similar (if not the exact same), is that because they all made by the some manufacturer and just marketed to different segments?  It looks like their warranty is only for 3 years, but how long do they really last if maintained per manufacturer's guidelines?  Are they worth the price tag of about 3 times more than a traditional foam cover?

On the Duracore one made by modernspacovers, I spoke with a salesperson on the phone tonight and he said there is nothing within their product that can absorb water and their outer fabric similar to Kevlar, so it will last a very long time.  Their company is only 4 years old, but their goal is for it to last 15+ years.  He said their warranty is 5 year, not prorated and if there is something wrong with the product, they do not require customer send the product back, they will either walk you through simple repairs or they will send you a new piece.

I am very lost in this process, they all look pretty good and the prices are similar (about $5K for both pieces).  I am leaning toward the Duracore product simply because they don't ask you to send the cover back to them and they seem like they pretty customer focused.

Are there other brands or types I should be seriously considering?  I'd like to pull the trigger by the end of the week, especially since they all probably have a long backlog or orders.

Hot Tub Forum

Thoughts on new swim spa cover- aluminum or Duracore??
« on: March 23, 2021, 10:04:17 pm »

The Wizard of Spas

Re: Thoughts on new swim spa cover- aluminum or Duracore??
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 06:21:53 pm »
Not able to speak on aluminum covers, but I'd say that your average lifespan on a basic swim spa cover is more likely 3 years at best, as it will sag in the middle as all 4 sides are not supported by the spa lip like a normal hot tub.

The 3 most common aftermarket swim spa covers I have dealt with are Smartop by Leisure Concepts, Legend by Covana, and End2EndSwimSpaCover.  Personally I like the Smartop in terms of bang for your buck as it is easier to remove than the End2End but both really are fine products but I am not really going to push against anyone who prefers the latter.  The Legend is awesome but very pricy. 

Regardless - you're on the right track by upgrading the cover up-front in the process, as most will not let you know that swim spa covers tend to fail dramatically and an aftermarket product is really the best course of action.

brownnugen

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 10:45:11 pm »
Thanks, I am waiting for a quote from Be-Lite for an aluminum cover, but am leaning toward Modern Spa Cover's DuraCore Solar line.  If I can get the cover to help save me money on heating the water, that would be a good long term investment.

I will try and get a quote on the Smart Top tomorrow.

End 2 End wasn't a good fit because of the unconventional L-shape of the Tidalfit DTL-8 would not allow the cover to be snapped in on all 4 sides.

brownnugen

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 02:19:11 pm »
I spoke with a Smartop representative yesterday and they let me know their system requires the use of a Coverlift and it wouldn't work with the DTL-8 because they can't get a coverlift on the wide end (183").

I ended up ordering the Modern Swim Covers DuraCore Solar model last night.  It should take about 10-11 weeks to be delivered. 

clh42

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 11:50:33 am »
How do you like your Modern Covers solar cover?  Are you willing to share the cost?

I've had a hot tub for 15 years and just replaced it with a new one.  I hated having to buy a new cover every few years because it got water logged and too heavy to lift.  I happened to see this Modern Spa Covers that claims it can never get water logged.

I got a new cover with the new hot tub, but I'm thinking ahead to when this cover eventually needs replacing.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 11:24:10 am »
Swim Spa covers all suck in one way or another, except the Covana which cannot be used on an L Design...the roll off is probably the 2nd best option, just make sure you clean it regularly on the underside otherwise the mold will get out of control with all the crevasses it has due to the nature of it's design

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 11:24:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42