What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Replace Snorkel stove for propane stove, or get a different tub?  (Read 2884 times)

fishnaked

I've had my 5x3 Snorkel cedar tub for ~8 years now. Loved the thing and used it a ton the first 2-3 winters. I found it gratifying to soak in water I heated myself...for free with scrap wood. But, between my home and yurt in the mountains, I accumulated 7 different wood burning apparatuses. I process a lot of wood and start and tend a lot of fires. My enthusiasm waned....and I found that the times I felt I could use a good hot soak the most (when muscles are sore, or need to relax), is the time I've felt like messing with a fire (time, effort) the least.

Use of my tub faded. Didn't use it all last winter and only once this winter. I have no desire to mess with it any more.

I'd like to be able to just take the lid off this cedar tub any time and hop in without messing with a fire....or at least be able to flip a switch and walk away for an hr while some non-wood burning heater heated it. I like the look, feel, and warmth of the wood. I have a lean budget though...so am trying to figure out how I could get the most bang for my buck, whether I replace the wood stove with a propane or electric heater....or just sell the whole setup and replace it with a conventional, though small hot tub that I can just plug in and have soak-ready water any time I want.

Other notes: Electrical rates are some of the cheapest in the country here thanks to hydro power. But......besides dealing with the unsightly tank, I haven't a problem going with a propane heater for my cedar tub....if the overall cost savings would justify it.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Replace Snorkel stove for propane stove, or get a different tub?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 07:09:30 am »
I've had my 5x3 Snorkel cedar tub for ~8 years now. Loved the thing and used it a ton the first 2-3 winters. I found it gratifying to soak in water I heated myself...for free with scrap wood. But, between my home and yurt in the mountains, I accumulated 7 different wood burning apparatuses. I process a lot of wood and start and tend a lot of fires. My enthusiasm waned....and I found that the times I felt I could use a good hot soak the most (when muscles are sore, or need to relax), is the time I've felt like messing with a fire (time, effort) the least.

Use of my tub faded. Didn't use it all last winter and only once this winter. I have no desire to mess with it any more.

I'd like to be able to just take the lid off this cedar tub any time and hop in without messing with a fire....or at least be able to flip a switch and walk away for an hr while some non-wood burning heater heated it. I like the look, feel, and warmth of the wood. I have a lean budget though...so am trying to figure out how I could get the most bang for my buck, whether I replace the wood stove with a propane or electric heater....or just sell the whole setup and replace it with a conventional, though small hot tub that I can just plug in and have soak-ready water any time I want.

Other notes: Electrical rates are some of the cheapest in the country here thanks to hydro power. But......besides dealing with the unsightly tank, I haven't a problem going with a propane heater for my cedar tub....if the overall cost savings would justify it.

Thoughts, suggestions?

With 7 different wood burning apparatuses you would think the tub would be the easiest?
Retired

fishnaked

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 10:44:48 am »

Thoughts, suggestions?

With 7 different wood burning apparatuses you would think the tub would be the easiest?

Not sure what you mean. All 7 wood stoves require work. The point I was trying to make is that I'm burned out on messing around with so much firewood. And in the case of this hot tub, when I want the soak the most, I don't feel like starting then tending the fire for 1-2 hours. When I'm stressed, tired, and sore...I'd like to just slide into some nice hot water without all the effort.

cranbiz

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 12:52:25 pm »
I would go with electric myself. Plug it in and you are done. Water is always to temp and you are not depending on a propane delivery, not to mention that propane is getting expensive.

fishnaked

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 03:25:49 pm »
I would go with electric myself. Plug it in and you are done. Water is always to temp and you are not depending on a propane delivery, not to mention that propane is getting expensive.

Thanks. That's what I'm leaning towards too. I suspect my electric bill would take a big jump though given this tub is not insulated...beyond what small insulative value is in the wood itself. I guess that leaves me with only one other option: Replacing this tub with a standard tub. Hate to give up the esthetics and feel of the cedar....

cranbiz

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 04:38:44 pm »
Insulation is extremely important. I love the look of a cedar tub but there is not a lot of therapeutic treatment available and eventually the wood can be difficult to sanitize.

A well insulated tub with good jets is probably your best bet.

Or, you could insulate the exterior of your cedar tub. Might not look great from the outside but would certainly help with the electric bills.

fishnaked

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 09:52:37 am »

Or, you could insulate the exterior of your cedar tub. Might not look great from the outside but would certainly help with the electric bills.

I believe insulation would trap moisture on the outside of the tub, wrecking havoc on the wood. Rock wool insulation may work. And I could wrap that in thin ceder. Would be a lot of work though.... :-\

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 06:54:06 am »

Thoughts, suggestions?

Not sure what you mean. All 7 wood stoves require work. The point I was trying to make is that I'm burned out on messing around with so much firewood. And in the case of this hot tub, when I want the soak the most, I don't feel like starting then tending the fire for 1-2 hours. When I'm stressed, tired, and sore...I'd like to just slide into some nice hot water without all the effort.

What I'm saying is maybe it's easier to replace the wood stove in the garage with a gas forced air hanging heater.
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 03:34:42 pm »
I would go electric for convenience sake, depending on what type of heat up time you are looking for and what type of power you have access to you could go 1 or 1.5 kw @ 110v OR if you wanted much quicker heat up time and have access to 220v you could look at a 4kw or 6kw heater, the pricing isn't really that far apart, I used to install a lot of Coates brand electric heaters on indoor spas and swimming pools, they make basic units that come with the pressure switch/temperature control knob/union collars/etc basically ready to be plumbed in right out of the box.

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2022, 08:28:30 am »
Buy a traditional spa with cedar siding like an Arctic Spa if you want the look...and hassle of sanding and sealing every year. You will get the look, It will be available whenever you need it and you will use it more often. Round wood fired cedar spas are seasonal in most climates.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2022, 08:28:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42