What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spring Grandee No Heat \ Circ Pump Failed  (Read 1810 times)

JRunner01

Hot Spring Grandee No Heat \ Circ Pump Failed
« on: February 16, 2022, 02:14:58 pm »
Posted the below on another forum but getting no love.  Hoping someone here might show some  :)

My circ pump went out a month or so ago. Leaked the tub down to about half full before I noticed and ran to shut the breakers off. I then drained the tub since a water change was needed anyways and I needed to order part. It's been cold here in the north east and never realized I might have needed to do more than just a drain since I was not going to refill right away. My friend said something about blowing out the lines etc to ensure it was fully drained and empty for freezing of the lines could crack. Well did none of that and now I went to change the part out on a warm February day in the low 50s here and after refilling and doing the priming of the Jets as indicated in the manual, all seemed fine. The circ pump was showing water movement in the center of tub and it sounded to be running fine after turning off the Jets. I then flipped on the breaker for the heater and I hear a click but it never gets hot to the touch nor does the tempature of the water go up... Staying at 50 degrees.

I saw a video about ensure there is no air lock or something in the heater and I tried removing the hose going into the body of the tub coming from the heater to ensure flow and it was flowing fine gushing out hard and fast. In pulling the hose off my hand broke the small hose nipple on the elbow of the circ pump and wind up having to drain the tub again... What a waste of 500 gal of water :( and what a bad design of that stupid elbow with nipple... Waiting to happen and it sure did.

So I know I can test the heater with a ohms meter for 8 to 20 or so ohms as still good heater but need to pick up a meter. But does it sound like my heater went because of the half drain tub on the bad circ pump?

Is there anything else to try once I replace the elbow nipple?

Filters are cleaned fyi and only a year or so old.

Also after stating to fill up the tub I saw some black residue in the water at the floor drain. I then quickly stopped filling, drained that little bit of water and then restarted the fill. I still saw more black residue on the next fill up but much less.

Thanks in advance!

J

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spring Grandee No Heat \ Circ Pump Failed
« on: February 16, 2022, 02:14:58 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot Spring Grandee No Heat \ Circ Pump Failed
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 06:38:36 pm »
Are the power and ready lights flashing?  Not a airlock because the circ pump wouldn’t be moving water if it was. Possibly the pressure switch in the heater. If so you would need to replace heater

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Hot Spring Grandee No Heat \ Circ Pump Failed
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 06:38:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42