What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Frustrating chemical smell from steam...  (Read 1965 times)

Gibson00

Frustrating chemical smell from steam...
« on: January 16, 2022, 06:50:20 pm »
Really not sure what is causing this...

Water 1 month old with Spa Marvel added.  Last maybe 10 days I notice the water looks fine, chemical levels good, but the steam off the water has a chemical smell to it.

So I shocked it to 12ppm with dichlor yesterday.  Fast forward to tonight, levels (taylor test kit) are:

chlorine - 3.5ppm
TA - 90
ph - 7.6

Steam still has chemical smell.  What am I missing??  I never really use MPS, just dichlor.  Should I try a shock with MPS, would that clear up something that chlorine doesnt, that could be causing the smell?

Hot Tub Forum

Frustrating chemical smell from steam...
« on: January 16, 2022, 06:50:20 pm »

A.O.

Re: Frustrating chemical smell from steam...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 07:09:27 pm »
What is your CYA level and the CC level? Using dichlor to get your FC that high would raise that CYA way high which will counter act the FC to a degree. The smell I'm thinking is a high CC level.

Gibson00

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 07:19:58 pm »
OK just took three readings with my taylor kit...

free chlorine - 2.5ppm

combined chlorine - 1ppm

CYA - 65

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 09:18:07 am »
When do you add your dichlor or bleach?
Retired

Gibson00

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 09:20:29 am »
I typically add dichlor after bathing.  Usually with the goal to raise it up to roughly 4-5ppm, which would then be back down to 1-3ppm when we get in the next day.
And shock to about 12ppm maybe every 10 days.

A.O.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 11:47:31 am »
So your Combined chlorine is a bit high at 1 and the CYA is high at 65, I keep mine closer to 30. If you switch to straight liquid chlorine instead of the dichlor you wont keep raising your CYA. I haven't shocked my tub in 10 months, no need.

Here is a good read if you are interested,  https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool.9670/

Gibson00

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 12:25:56 pm »
I'm confused as to why you would never need to shock your tub?  Even using bleach, wouldn't you still be getting a buildup of chloramines that need to be shocked out every so often??

I've read the info in that link, and as far as I can tell I'm pretty much doing what it says:

"Never let FC drop to Zero for any length of time. Keep it between 3-6 ppm normally, min of 1 ppm, and shock to 12 ppm once a week."

A.O.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 04:33:36 pm »
I have an ozone system that eats a lot of it, and sunny days I'll leave the cover off it and the UV will eat them too.

And if you are still using the dichlor you are missing a bit, once your CYA gets up to 30 or so you need to switch to straight liquid chlorine so your CYA doesn't keep rising.

Once I get it to that level the only things I use in the tub are liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, and the occasional Total alkalinity increaser in case I knocked it down to far with the MA.

And I dont shock my tub because it doesn't need it, CC's never get above .6 or .8 and like I said if it does I take the top off for a few hours which takes care of it. Dont shock it due to a schedule someone wrote down (that's what the chemical sellers want you to do) , only shock it if it needs it. At least that's the way I do it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:38:26 pm by A.O. »

Gibson00

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 02:20:25 pm »
OK, thanks.
I had been trying the dichlor to bleach method, but like some others have experienced, the bleach (plain clorox) would always push my ph way up, so I was constantly having to add ph down.  I just ended up going back to dichlor...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 02:20:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42