What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Please tell me your chlorine (and/or MPS) schedule  (Read 2179 times)

Gibson00

Please tell me your chlorine (and/or MPS) schedule
« on: December 01, 2021, 07:15:10 am »
What chlorine level are you generally trying to maintain day to day?  3-4ppm?  Do you just get used to knowing how much dichlor (or bleach) to add after each use to get it back to 3-4ppm?

Further, do you in fact usually add a little dichlor after -every- use?  Or do you wait 2-3 days?  (going with the assumption that you use the tub daily for maybe 30 mins, 2-3 people).

And then, how often do you shock?  Once per week?  What level do you aim for when shocking, 10ppm?

Lastly, when and how do you use MPS?  Just as part of your shock?  Or do most people not bother with it at all and just stick to chlorine?

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 07:18:00 am by Gibson00 »

Hot Tub Forum

Please tell me your chlorine (and/or MPS) schedule
« on: December 01, 2021, 07:15:10 am »

A.O.

Re: Please tell me your chlorine (and/or MPS) schedule
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 08:28:05 am »
I use the Dichlor till my CYA was about 30 then switched to liquid chlorine 12 1/2% . 450 gal Cal Spas tub. I keep my FC in that 2-4 range, we normally use the tub twice a day, after getting out I add 2 1/2-3 oz of the chlorine which keeps me right where I want to be with it.
I do not shock, have not in 10 months since I got this tub, and I NEVER use MPS.. no need for either if you keep things clean and sanitized.

Have a look here...  https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool.9670/

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 05:22:48 pm »
Mine is much like A.O.

I do both dichlor and household bleach or pool bleach. After a fill I start with dichlor for a few weeks watching my stabilizer when it hits 50ppm I switch to liquid and keep using liquid until it drops below 30ppm. I find about 1 tablespoon is correct for a normal days use and I equate 1/3 cup of bleach = 1 tablespoon of dichlor. I used to try and keep my level super low so it was at zero by the next time I used it and it was too finicky. I now measure about 5ppm after treating and it drops down to 3ppm by the next day. If more people use it I have learned to hit it harder. I use non chlorine shock whenever the water just doesn’t seem right. Maybe a strange little smell or just not super clear. That always takes care of it.

99% of our usage is without swimsuits and right after we shower. If you use swimwear don’t run it thru the laundry just rinse and dry and don’t use it in lakes and such. The time for body lotions and stuff is when you get out of the tub. all those products and sun blocks and makeup mess a tub up faster than anything IMO.   

Gibson00

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 12:23:59 pm »
Mine is much like A.O.

I do both dichlor and household bleach or pool bleach. After a fill I start with dichlor for a few weeks watching my stabilizer when it hits 50ppm I switch to liquid and keep using liquid until it drops below 30ppm. I find about 1 tablespoon is correct for a normal days use and I equate 1/3 cup of bleach = 1 tablespoon of dichlor. I used to try and keep my level super low so it was at zero by the next time I used it and it was too finicky. I now measure about 5ppm after treating and it drops down to 3ppm by the next day. If more people use it I have learned to hit it harder. I use non chlorine shock whenever the water just doesn’t seem right. Maybe a strange little smell or just not super clear. That always takes care of it.

99% of our usage is without swimsuits and right after we shower. If you use swimwear don’t run it thru the laundry just rinse and dry and don’t use it in lakes and such. The time for body lotions and stuff is when you get out of the tub. all those products and sun blocks and makeup mess a tub up faster than anything IMO.   

Thanks everyone.

Question - what are you using to test your CYA levels?  I have a taylor kit which came with test chemicals for it, but only enough to do a couple tests.  A large bottle of that stuff is pretty pricey off amazon (Canada).  Can test strips measure it accurately?

bud16415

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 09:16:22 am »
I use a 6 in 1 test strip and find it good enough.

A.O.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 08:43:59 am »
And it takes so much of that stuff to test it!

A test strip will get you close enough I think.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 08:43:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42