What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone using the Arctic Spa 'Spa Boy' salt system?  (Read 2069 times)

Gibson00

Anyone using the Arctic Spa 'Spa Boy' salt system?
« on: December 05, 2021, 10:15:01 am »
Now that I'm back to having a spa, and find myself trying to find comfortable levels of chlorine vs chemical smell, ph, etc etc..  I'm wondering if I should have gone with the salt system.

Do they work as well as the dealers claim?  Are they really care free other than having to adjust ph when the app tells you to?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone using the Arctic Spa 'Spa Boy' salt system?
« on: December 05, 2021, 10:15:01 am »

bud16415

Re: Anyone using the Arctic Spa 'Spa Boy' salt system?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 07:56:56 pm »
I do not have one but have thought about adding one for several years.

I do add salt to my water so it would just be a matter of buying the unit.

My friend has an aftermarket salt unit he installed himself and he loves it. His is a Saltron-Mini. It doesn’t tie into the tub at all and is easy to clean and replace the anode and not that expensive. All you need is a 120v GFCI outlet near the tub. once a month he drops the anode into a cup full of vinegar. Keeps his tub perfect and as you mentioned he just adjusts PH when needed.   

Sammi

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 09:28:54 pm »
I've had a Hot Springs salt system for over a year now. My routine is to balance the alkalinity and ph as needed, and put 2-3 tbls of chlorine enhanced shock in the tub once every 5-7 days depending on use.

They aren't as foolproof as advertised, but I never have to add chemical after use, and there is no chlorine smell.

Ph will increase with aeration, so I find myself adding ph down about the same time I put the shock in each week.

Overall it is nice to not have to add anything after each use, especially in the cold climate I reside in. Hop out, shut the cover, and go indoors until next time.

Gibson00

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 03:31:19 pm »
Thanks for replies.
I was quoted almost $3k (Canadian) to convert my arctic spa, to their spa boy salt system.
I wonder if I am just as well off using something like a Saltron Mini unit for a lot less $$?  I guess I would just lose out on some of the automatic monitoring?

bud16415

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 10:49:55 am »
Not owning one I can’t comment first hand, but my friend I mentioned above speaks very highly of his saltron-mini. His is one of the earlier versions and they have improved the timer functions he has told me.

He tested a little in the beginning and found about how much time he needed for his normal tub usage. There is a button I believe that is a boast for when you want some extra run time. He says if it is just his wife and him they don’t do anything but is they have others in then he hits the button when they get out.

The units that are built in require a service call to replace the anode and they are pricey and can’t be cleaned. With the saltron once a month he fills a cup with vinegar and soaks it over night and said he has had really long life to the anode doing that. He has a spare ready to go and it is just pulling a plug and plugging the new one in.

I may just have Santa add one to my tub as a Christmas gift.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 10:49:55 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42