What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Salt without salt water system  (Read 3984 times)

Mtbob

Salt without salt water system
« on: October 27, 2021, 03:23:59 pm »
Could you add salt to the hot tub without a salt water system and just add chlorine as needed.What would be to pros and cons when doing this.

Hot Tub Forum

Salt without salt water system
« on: October 27, 2021, 03:23:59 pm »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: Salt without salt water system
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 01:36:02 pm »
Salt without a salt system is basically filling your spa with soft water which you can do, just make sure if it's 0 grains to add back in a little liquid calcium otherwise the water can get 'sudsy'

Mtbob

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 09:32:21 pm »
Thank you for your response.Any suggestions of how much salt to add to get a similar solution as a salt system.Also would adding salt raise the PH ?
My hot tub is 272 gal.

A.O.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 12:47:33 pm »
I fill my tub from my pool (long story) and my pool is a salt pool. I just do the chlorine thing in my tub with the salty water, no problems.

Mtbob

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 02:45:01 pm »
Thanks all for your responses.
After balancing my water I took the plunge😂 and added salt to my water.I found the kind of salt and the amount on the manufacturer’s website.Mixed the right amount with warm water in a 5 gallon bucket and then added it to the water.Used salt water test strip to check the recommended ppm and was real close.
Up till now it did not effect the Ph,alkalinity or hardness.Still check chlorine levels daily and add as needed.
The water definitely has a softer more pleasant feel to it.So far I am pleased not having spent the extra money for a fresh water salt system.

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 12:11:17 pm »
I have been doing it for a couple years. My tub is 350 gallons and I add 7 lbs of salt. I like the feel of the water much better also.

I started a thread about it at the time with some searching you should be able to find it and others comments.

I start off with salt and use dichlor until my cya gets up around 50ppm and then I switch to household bleach when it drops to 30ppm I switch back. I will add the water seems more stable after I switched to the salt.

I haven’t seen any adverse effects to the tub with the salt, but shortly after I started it I had a pump leak. I did a wet end pump replacement. I don’t think it had anything to do with the salt and the other pumps and heater are doing fine

Mtbob

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 12:52:12 pm »
I didn,t know you could use liquid bleach in the hottub.I add 1 teaspoon dichlor every day and allthough the chlorine levels are fairly low after a couple of hours the water stays clear and has little smell.I also ad half a cap of MPS every other day.One thing I have noticed is that the Cyanuric acid levels are slowly going up.I understand that is because it is an ingredient in the dichlor.If I would switch to liquid bleach would that level actually go down or would it stay at the current level? Also does a teaspoon of dichlor have the same effect as a teaspoon of liquid bleach?And finally is there a dichlor on the market that does not contain Cyanuric acid?

Sam

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 06:31:54 pm »
That's the exact reason for switching to bleach is to prevent cya build-up which causes chlorine lock (reduces effectiveness).  CYA will come down over time necessitating a switch back to dichlor.  You need more than a tsp of bleach though.  I thought I read that it's a quarter of a cup but I forget the exact amount.  When I did this program I never actually measured it out.  I would just pur a "glug" in after each use and it worked out.  Occasionally I would pour a larger amount of bleach in.

bud16415

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 09:13:35 am »
That's the exact reason for switching to bleach is to prevent cya build-up which causes chlorine lock (reduces effectiveness).  CYA will come down over time necessitating a switch back to dichlor.  You need more than a tsp of bleach though.  I thought I read that it's a quarter of a cup but I forget the exact amount.  When I did this program I never actually measured it out.  I would just pur a "glug" in after each use and it worked out.  Occasionally I would pour a larger amount of bleach in.

I have a good size 6 person tub and have found about a tablespoon of dichlor when the two of us use the tub after showering is about right and when the stabilizer reaches 50ppm I switch to bleach. About 1/3 cup of household bleach = 1 tablespoon of  dichlor. Be careful with the bleach you buy. Pool bleach is good as is non scented and not the thickened easy pour bleach. Both of them will cause foaming. Good old Clorox works good but you pay a little more for the name.

When the stabilizer drops to 30ppm switch back to dichlor.

The number drops slowly and if you add water it will drop.

We live where it gets very cold mid winter and if I’m ready for a water change and to lazy to drain and clean the tub I will just drain it half way and refill and it gets me a couple months to warmer weather. When I do that I have to start back in with the dichlor for a while.       

A.O.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 11:18:54 am »
I use my 450 gal tub twice a day almost every day and I add 2 1/2-3 oz of 12 1/2% pool chlorine after every use. Keeps my FC just where I want it. And I never add MPS to my tub, it is not needed.

Mtbob

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 02:18:57 pm »
Thanks for the info.
I did read that liquid bleach has a PH of 13 and that regular use could effect the PH of the water.Is that your understanding too?
And a completely different topic.I am interested in adding a mineral sanitizer like the Zodiac Nature 2 .
My manufacturer/dealer of the hot tub advises to use their product Best Defense weekly with removes metals and minerals to prevent build up on the heater and on the surface.The Zodiac Nature 2 would release silver ions to the water.
Would the Best  Defense counter act the benefit of the Zodiac Nature 2?
Anyone ever dealt with this or have any thoughts on this?

bud16415

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 05:35:48 pm »
Thanks for the info.
I did read that liquid bleach has a PH of 13 and that regular use could effect the PH of the water.Is that your understanding too?
And a completely different topic.I am interested in adding a mineral sanitizer like the Zodiac Nature 2 .
My manufacturer/dealer of the hot tub advises to use their product Best Defense weekly with removes metals and minerals to prevent build up on the heater and on the surface.The Zodiac Nature 2 would release silver ions to the water.
Would the Best  Defense counter act the benefit of the Zodiac Nature 2?
Anyone ever dealt with this or have any thoughts on this?

Others may not agree with me, but I feel the minerals and special salt with minerals are all 99% a gimmick.

My tub came with the frog inline system and it had bromine and mineral canisters. I got rid of the minerals first and noticed no difference. I'm sure my ozone is also long gone and I don't see any difference. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 05:35:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42