What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine reading vastly different test to test. Not sure what to believe  (Read 1245 times)

ryguy76

Apologies for what will likely be a wordy post but I’m struggling with my tub despite doing everything by the book and being super diligent and attentive.  I’m not sure how to proceed as I can’t seem to find consistency when testing chlorine.  Hoping someone can read the details below and provide me with insight and guidance.

Currently using Beachcombers Care Free Dichlor system and hot tubbing is proving to be way less care free and stressful than I anticipated.

The computer water tester at the dealer shows 10ppm consistently on my FC, and 1+ppm on Chloramines despite weekly shocking.

I have 3 different brands of test strips where 2 show 0ppm FC and the third shows 10+ppm.  The brand that shows 10ppm is a no name brand from Amazon but it the most suspicious in the bunch as it registers 0ppm of CYA when I’ve being adding stabilized Dichlor to my tub for 4 weeks.

The Beachcomber brand test strips show well over 100ppm CYA but 0ppm of FC, so polar opposite to the no name strips in both categories.

The InstaTest 3 brand also shows 0ppm of FC as well as a cheap Canadian Tire OTO drop test kit.

Granted the dealer test was yesterday afternoon, I’m doubting that a 10ppm tub went to 0 in 24hrs when it sat unused. 

So not sure what test to believe and if I’m over chlorinating or under chlorinating.  Water looks clear and smells fine.

I don’t have a test to measure combined chlorine so am also baffled by the dealers printout showing 1+ppm of chloramines despite me weekly shocking my 300G tub with about 30g of Dichlor.

Is it possible their test equipment is off?  They even used the beachcomber AND InstaTest strips in store on my water sample and and agreed both test strip tests painted a different picture than what their electronic equipment was showing.

Thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

cranbiz

Re: Chlorine reading vastly different test to test. Not sure what to believe
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 09:04:22 am »
Dump the test strips. That are practically useless. Get a Taylor K-2005 test kit. Titration is far more accurate for testing. Test srtips are affected by lots of outside factors. Age, humidity, temperature and even sunlight.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Chlorine reading vastly different test to test. Not sure what to believe
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 09:04:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42