What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What do you think about my weekly routine for my hot tub chemicals?  (Read 2349 times)

Everytuesday

So I have been learning to take care of my hot tub I got with the house I bought last year. My brother in-law gave me weekly routine based on what he does, but I thought I would ask the Internets and see if there is a "best practice" or maybe a different method I should be using...

Currently after I fill it up with new water, I balance the PH first then do the chlorine.
For PH up and down I use Clorox brand.

For chlorine I use LEISURE TIME E5 Spa 56 Chlorinating Granules and follow the directions based on my 500 ga capacity.

That all seems to work just fine. It's the next few steps that I've been experiencing issues with my hot tub.

Once a week I put in 2oz of Leisure Time A Bright and Clear Cleanser. ( This usually makes all the white soapy bubbles and small white particles appear. I did just do a deep clean of the hot tub using Ahh-some Hot Tub cleaner, hoping that helps the next time I add this stuff.)

Next I put in Leisure Time 30210A Defender, 2oz. Wait about 10 min

Lastly I put in 2oz of Leisure Time Enzyme.

And then after each use, usually it's just me, I put in two tablets of LEISURE TIME REVU5 Renew Simple Spa Care Non-Chlorine Shock Treatment.

Am I missing anything or should I be using different products? Would love to hear another opinion on the matter.

Thanks,
Spencer

Hot Tub Forum

A.O.

Re: What do you think about my weekly routine for my hot tub chemicals?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 10:07:59 pm »
After a refill I balance the PH get my TA to right about 50 And add the dichlor 1' tabs, use them till I get the CYA up to about 30, then I switch to liquid chlorine. Try to keep my FC between 2-4. I/we use our tub normally 2x a day, I add about 2 1/2 oz chlorine after each use which keeps my FC at that level. The only other thing I add is 1/4-1/2 oz of MA maybe once or twice a week to control PH.. No need to add anything else unless you just want to support the pool store.

Look at this for a more thorough rundown on it..  https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool.9670/

Everytuesday

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 10:56:25 pm »
Look at this for a more thorough rundown on it..  https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool.9670/

Thank you so much, I will give that a look over before I ask any more questions first.

A.O.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 08:48:12 am »
I use to add all that stuff all the time like you were talking, well maybe not all that stuff, I switched to this method about 9 months ago when I got my new tub (lightning killed the last one) and it has worked SO well!

Everytuesday

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 01:12:00 pm »
I use to add all that stuff all the time like you were talking, well maybe not all that stuff, I switched to this method about 9 months ago when I got my new tub (lightning killed the last one) and it has worked SO well!

Thank you for the extra encouragement - I have one question so far - what are you shocking your hot tub with?

Cheers,
Spencer

A.O.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 08:56:03 am »

Thank you for the extra encouragement - I have one question so far - what are you shocking your hot tub with?

Cheers,
Spencer

I have not shocked my tub since I got it set up this way... properly maintained it does not need it.

People over think so much, and the store will egg you on because they need the sales!

TomDedrick

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 01:46:08 pm »
Tell me about the white particles....Are they there all the time? Do they look like tiny bits of white plastic? what year was your hot tub built?

Everytuesday

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 05:05:56 pm »
I have not shocked my tub since I got it set up this way... properly maintained it does not need it.
People over think so much, and the store will egg you on because they need the sales!

Ok I thought I was missing something lol. So just so I understand this, once I have the CYA to ~30, I'm just checking for FC. I usually check my hot tub daily anyways so in addition to checking for FC, do I always need to monitor TA and PH too? I'm assuming I do but this is all new for me so hopefully its not too redundant of a question.

Thanks so much @AO!

A.O.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 07:24:55 pm »
So daily or maybe every other day I check for FC and PH, dont want them to get very far out of whack.. And maybe weekly or something I do a full check, Which for me is the FC, PH, TA, sometimes CYA (it takes so much reagents to do) . I dont normally check hardness because mine is so low its kind of off the scale, My well water is very soft to begin with and a lot of times I'll empty my dehumidifier in the tub to top it off.. I've had NO detrimental effects with the soft water.
At first I was chasing the PH quite a bit it was getting pretty high every day, but eventually (I dont remember for sure maybe a week or two) it balanced out And has been a breeze ever since!!

We are normally in the tub twice a day so we use it a lot. Get a good test kit and learn how to use it, it helps.  AND HAVE FUN WITH IT...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 07:24:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42