Original > Hot Tub Forum

Am I understanding this correctly?

(1/1)

ryguy76:
For the sake of simplicity, let’s assume I’m looking to maintain a 5ppm of residual FC in my tub at all times… If my FC is at 5ppm before I enter the tub, and I test immediately after using and it’s dropped to 2ppm, is it enough to just add 3ppm of FC back that was consumed or do I need to provide an additional buffer amount to allow for the remaining biowaste that may not have been already fully sanitized by the FC already in the tub?

The FC used up to process bather waste will be converted to CC (Chloramines) and need to be “burned off” weekly by a shock treatment of some sort.  Shocking would need to equate to raising FC to a level of 12ppm for a short duration to oxidize the CC’s.  Is this correct?

Is there ever a need to shock higher than 12ppm if a FC residual is continually/diligently maintained?

A.O.:
I pretty much use my tub(450 gal)twice a day, I add 2 1/2 oz 12% chlorine after each use, My ozone generator takes care of the CC's... I've not shocked it in 9 months.

ryguy76:

--- Quote from: A.O. on October 21, 2021, 03:46:25 pm ---I pretty much use my tub(450 gal)twice a day, I add 2 1/2 oz 12% chlorine after each use, My ozone generator takes care of the CC's... I've not shocked it in 9 months.

--- End quote ---

Liquid Chlorine?  How are you testing to know the ozone generator is fully removing the CC’s? 

I don’t have an ozone generator so need to shock.

A.O.:
Yes, liquid chlorine.. Taylor Drop test kit, forget the number of the kit... AND.. visual/nose test.. crystal clear water, no odor, no foam... all that good stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version