What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine test strips used for Bromine  (Read 1283 times)

johnlew

Chlorine test strips used for Bromine
« on: October 19, 2021, 09:51:37 am »
As a newcomer to Hot Tubs, we obtained ours some two weeks ago and I have been struggling with the water chemistry balancing. I am OK with Alkalinity and Ph but struggling with Total Bromine and Free Bromine levels and also total hardness.
I am using test strips which are 6 in 1, but they appear to measure Total Chlorine and free Chlorine/Bromine. I have done some research and there is a suggestion that for total chlorine test strips, if you are using bromine (as I am) you should multiply the result by 2.25. Is that true? Also, should I multiply the free chlorine/bromine by 2.25 also? From what I understand bromine is heavier than chlorine by a factor of 2.25, thus the multiplier.
Regarding water softness, we live in a very hard water area and I have been adding water softening agent (sodium bicarbonate) in quantities that would seem excessive. However, I cannot get a result on my test strips that indicates a level below 1000ppm? What am I doing that’s wrong? Is there a link between water hardness/ softness and any of the other chemicals used in the balancing process?

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine test strips used for Bromine
« on: October 19, 2021, 09:51:37 am »

A.O.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Chlorine test strips used for Bromine
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 10:32:01 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42