What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need hot tub recommendations  (Read 4402 times)

nndesai2014

Need hot tub recommendations
« on: September 22, 2021, 07:01:39 am »
Hello,
I came across this forum and I am fortunate I did.
There are very few online reviews on hot tubs and looks like the pricing varies. Its very hard to get accurate unbiased customer reviews or YouTube videos on specific hot tub models.
I did go through few previous pages and got myself educated as well.

Me and my wife are looking for a hot tub. Looking at 7000-15000 dollar budget, 5-6 seater, good massage and lounger. we use occasionally and not catering the tub for entertainment purposes but for personal needs.

Because I am new to the hot tub field, I am very confused and overwhelmed by the models out there. I would truly appreciate if I can get some unbiased recommendations on which one to buy.

1. Need low maintainance ones. I have heard of auto clean tubs that require much less chemicals but this sales person was saying its a myth and selling gimmick. Is this true?

2. Want to buy one with 5 yr or even better parts and labor warranty. Which brand is trust worthy?

3. I was looking at Calispa Escape 740 L that going at 8500 dollars. Not sure if this is a good deal. The other option is viking legend 2 but more expensive. I am open to buy any models which ever is good quality and reliable. We live in phoenix by the way. What do you guys think of Jacuzzi as a brand and model?

4. I was also thinking of building a surround around the spa. Its costing me 4000 dollars but will give a great look for my backyard. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you again.
Roger

Hot Tub Forum

Need hot tub recommendations
« on: September 22, 2021, 07:01:39 am »

cranbiz

Re: Need hot tub recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 10:16:20 am »
Jacuzzi makes a fine tub, I don't have any issue with recommending one.

Look at the Artesian lines. The Island Antiqua fits the bill except for the warranty, it's only 3 years. The Nevis is also a fine tub if you want a 5 person and have a space issue. The Grand Bahama is another really nice tub. The Artesian Elites fit all your check boxes, including warranty but will be on the upper end of your price range while the Island series are mid range. Artesian is a top rated tub with hand rolled shells and Balboa controls (due to shortages, they are using Gecko controls in the lower end models like Garden Spa)

CalSpa can be hit or miss. Some of their tubs are good values, some are not and Customer Service and warranty issues can be troublesome.

Heard good things about Viking.

The best advice I can give is shop dealers. You want a dealer that is responsive and trustworthy as they are the ones you will deal with for support and warranty service. You want one that has good reviews and an in house service department. If you are not getting good feelings about the dealer, walk away and find another one. Also if possible, wet test the tub you want. If they don't have that model, wet test one with the features you like and definitely wet test a lounge model. Not everyone stays put in a lounger. My wife does, I do not without supplemental weight. (not a problem but you need to know this)

Sam

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 01:13:34 pm »
You can upgraded to a 5 year warranty on Island Spas.  We do all of ours with that upgrade.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 02:19:55 pm »
To a very specific question you asked - there is no such thing as a spa that is easier / less maintenance than another spa.  Water chemistry is universal.  Filters, ozone, etc. may vary but the biggest aspect of sanitization is water chemistry. 

This is not to say water chemistry is arduous or difficult.  I hate math and science (I picked my major in college b/c it had the least amount of math / science possible) and I take care of 15 spas in my showroom and have 22 of my 40 years on earth teaching water chemistry classes.  So when I say this stuff isn't hard, its coming from someone who is a world class doofus when it comes to math and science.

I am always skeptical of anything touted as "easier" or "low maintenance" b/c of the overall ratio of water chemistry vs filter / filtering / ozone, as I have not seen a filter system and ozone combo that clears green water up.  Only proper water chemistry will fix gross water.  Thus the gravity of water chemistry is way heavier than filtering / ozone. 

I hope this is not convoluted.  Just trying to give you some broader info to digest.  The main takeaway is - All spas require maintenance but not much, and water chemistry is easy.  So I would remove that as a factor in your decision-making process.

Hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

cranbiz

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 05:07:44 pm »
Like the wizard said There is no such thing as no maintenance. However, the frog@ease system is works well and does require minimal interaction. BUT, it's at a cost. It's expensive.

Dichlor/liquid chlorine is really inexpensive but does require more work.

Both methods work. @ease is minimal time and work but not cheap. Dichlor/liquid chlorine is cheap but not quite as easy and takes more effort/time.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 06:47:31 pm »
Like the wizard said There is no such thing as no maintenance. However, the frog@ease system is works well and does require minimal interaction. BUT, it's at a cost. It's expensive.

Both methods work. @ease is minimal time and work but not cheap. Dichlor/liquid chlorine is cheap but not quite as easy and takes more effort/time.

It's funny you say that as I was just having a funny conversation about the cost of @ease just the other day with a good customer of mine who was going to switch...I've been doing this a long time and notice at different times when customers come in to buy 1 single jug of 5lb chlorine all the comments I get "Geeez has this stuff gone up again" or my fav "Damn I'm in the wrong business, I need to be selling chemicals" or "Just for 1 bottle?" but when my @ease customers come in and PAY MORE for in theory 'less product' for the cartridges I've never heard 1 single complaint EVER, lol just goes to show how people are willing to pay for convenience.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 05:06:37 pm »

It's funny you say that as I was just having a funny conversation about the cost of @ease just the other day with a good customer of mine who was going to switch...I've been doing this a long time and notice at different times when customers come in to buy 1 single jug of 5lb chlorine all the comments I get "Geeez has this stuff gone up again" or my fav "Damn I'm in the wrong business, I need to be selling chemicals" or "Just for 1 bottle?" but when my @ease customers come in and PAY MORE for in theory 'less product' for the cartridges I've never heard 1 single complaint EVER, lol just goes to show how people are willing to pay for convenience.

Both of these posts are very familiar to me and I would wager they are to others as well.  Well said all around.

I have found that the closer to 300 gallons of water a spa is, the more sense @ease makes.  The closer to 500 gallons or more, the more I find some clients balking at the price and longevity of @ease.  However, I do also find others that just love how simple is and are of the "take my money and shut up" frame of mind, since they will gladly pay to make it easy. 

Also - when I teach new clients water chemistry, I have way less repeat chemical classes as they just seem to "get it" with @ease moreso than other products.   

A.O.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 02:41:58 pm »
Here's some of my thoughts, get your tub from a dealer you can trust especially if you are new to it, "good" help with your tub down the road if you need it will be invaluable. Go bigger vs smaller, easier to take care of and you wont be kicking everyone's feet all the time.
I tried the frogease once and wouldn't again! Liquid chlorine and Muriatic acid and some CYA to start are about all you will need to keep your tub in pristine condition. AND its easy peasy to do!! I use my tub 2x a day and when done I add 2 1/2 oz of 12% bleach after every soak, and maybe 1/4-1/2 oz MA once or twice a week to control PH.
This here explains it all ...  https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool.9670/

Good luck and dont over think things, its just not that difficult.

hope its ok to put that link in here.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 02:41:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42