What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tackling a CalSpa Dually Conversion - What pump can I get?  (Read 2047 times)

NothernWoods

Tackling a CalSpa Dually Conversion - What pump can I get?
« on: October 04, 2021, 01:23:33 pm »
I have an older Cal Spa Avalon I inherited with my house and everything has been going good, but the pump started leaking at the seal last month. At first I thought it would be a fairly simple job swapping the pump, but apparently my hot tub uses what's called a "Dually" pump where it is one pump with a wet end on each side. So now I have to buy a new standard pump and replumb it to go off a single intake and output.

So where I'm stuck now is what pump I should get. The current dually pump is a 2-speed, 3HP 230v 12/2.2 amp with about 120 gallons/minute flow off each wet end.

I was originally looking at an Executive 5HP so I don't lose jet power, but I'm guessing that since it has amps of 16.4/4.8 I will overload the board which has a listed amps of 12. Can I only go up to the Executive 4HP which has amps of 12.0/4.4?

Also looking at conversion kits I'm leaning towards this one that has a symmetrical Y-split on the output
https://hottubpartsofamerica.com/parts-by-group/cal-spa-dually-pump-parts/

vs others that are like this:
https://www.myspapartsstore.com/parts/cal-spa-parts/cal-spa-pumps-motors/cal-spa-complete-pumps/cal-spa-dually-pump-retrofit-kit

that have the second output at a 90 degree bend. It seems like waterflow wouldn't be evenly distributed, am I wrong? The only advantage to the second one is that both intakes are hooked up whereas in the first one they cap off the one intake and just use the bleeder hose to get some water flow in there.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Hot Tub Forum

Tackling a CalSpa Dually Conversion - What pump can I get?
« on: October 04, 2021, 01:23:33 pm »

shodges7977

Re: Tackling a CalSpa Dually Conversion - What pump can I get?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 02:27:47 pm »
I'm in the exact same boat as you ... replacing a CalSpa dually pump.  Have you made any progress .. any advice?  Thanks.

shodges7977

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 04:12:25 pm »
thanks.  i have already received my replacement pump and am waiting on the retrofit plumbing kit to arrive.  i've heard that the flex pipe will not glue well in cold temps, is that true?  if so, maybe i can use my bullet heater to heat things up a bit before i tackle the repair.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 04:12:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42