What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Freshwater Salt System Advice  (Read 1923 times)

wcmorris

Freshwater Salt System Advice
« on: September 15, 2021, 09:45:59 am »
I've had my new Envoy for a little over a month and have been struggling with the salt system. I've been adding non-chlorine shock twice weekly, boosting, and have the output set to 7-10. Although the system is showing 'Okay' status and the arrow hovers in the left yellow, it seems to struggle to maintain chlorine levels. Two people use the tub about 30 minutes per day. It doesn't seem like I should need the output set so high or need to boost it as much as I do. I did struggle initially to balance the water but now everything seems to be in balance in terms of alkalinity, pH, and calcium. I also did have high phosphates and when I reduced those, it did help bring everything in balance and chlorine generation was better but I still seems to struggle to maintain it. Now yesterday, I got the flashing green light and the salt system status went red. I believe this indicates the salt cartridge needs to be replaced. After just 1 month!

My question is, are there any suggestions for things I can look out for or do differently to help the system work better? I have the original fill water in it and I've seen suggestions that doing a refill could help due to contaminants from the factory. So my plan at this point is to basically start over. I'm thinking of using ahhsome, draining, refilling, and doing the salt system startup from scratch with a new vanishing act and salt cartridge. Does this sound reasonable or should just replace the salt cartridge, or maybe clean the filters and do the cartridge? I'm a little hesitant to do a full refill due to the cost of salt cartridge and vanishing act but it would we worth the cost if it straightened things out. or I'm also considering giving up on the salt system and going with the @ease. thoughts?   

Hot Tub Forum

Freshwater Salt System Advice
« on: September 15, 2021, 09:45:59 am »

wcmorris

Re: Freshwater Salt System Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 12:45:12 pm »
So I was planning to drain and start over with a new salt cartridge but I just priced a three pack at my dealer and it's $250. I'm hesitant to spend that much not knowing if I'll be able to get the system working properly. I'm now wondering if I should just cut bait with the salt system and switch to something like the Frog @ease system. I'm sure each system has it's own issues, but at least the Frog system is way cheaper.

Anyone have experience with the Frog? What do you think of it. Better than FreshWater salt system? Cheaper/easier?

cranbiz

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 03:28:34 pm »
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Freshwater salt system but I do know about the Frog@ease system. It sounds like the costs of both systems are equal IF the salt cartridge is working correctly, the Frog@ease system is cheaper if you are blowing thru salt cartridges every month. The advantage of the salt system is the water usually feels much softer on the skin.

It's pretty idiot proof IF you keep up on testing. First thing you need to know is it is not cheap compared to other methods. a 3 pk of smartchlor cartridges and 1 mineral cartridge runs about $75. I'm getting 4-5 weeks out of a smartchlor cartridge and 4 months out of a mineral cartridge. If you use the Frog strips, expect to change a cartridge every 2 weeks and that is wrong. I use a Taylor test kit which I have found to be more accurate and keeps me from prematurely changing a cartridge. If you don't change the smartchlor cartridge once you get below .5 PPM, you will get cloudy water which will take 3-5 days to clear up after a new smartchlor cartridge.

If you keep these in mind, it's really easy. If you are not diligent, it will be even more expensive and will get out of balance quickly.

The least expensive method but more labor intensive is a regimen of Dichlor and liquid bleach. With this method, you need to religiously test after use and shock after use to keep the free chlorine right. While it doesn't really take all that much effort, it does take effort and time.

wcmorris

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 03:41:47 pm »
I do like the feeling of the water when the salt system is working. Very soft and comfortable. Since it sounds like the @ease system would be comparable in price if I can get the salt system working properly, it probably makes sense to give it another go since I'm already invested. Seems like many people have trouble initially and then have more success after a drain and refill. I may try this and start over now that I have some experience with it.

The traditional method sounds nice for the lower cost, but sounds like it could get annoying checking constantly and need to add chemicals before/after each use. When I get out of the spa in the middle of winter I want to run straight in the house. Not have to stand out there and balance chemicals.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Freshwater salt system but I do know about the Frog@ease system. It sounds like the costs of both systems are equal IF the salt cartridge is working correctly, the Frog@ease system is cheaper if you are blowing thru salt cartridges every month. The advantage of the salt system is the water usually feels much softer on the skin.

It's pretty idiot proof IF you keep up on testing. First thing you need to know is it is not cheap compared to other methods. a 3 pk of smartchlor cartridges and 1 mineral cartridge runs about $75. I'm getting 4-5 weeks out of a smartchlor cartridge and 4 months out of a mineral cartridge. If you use the Frog strips, expect to change a cartridge every 2 weeks and that is wrong. I use a Taylor test kit which I have found to be more accurate and keeps me from prematurely changing a cartridge. If you don't change the smartchlor cartridge once you get below .5 PPM, you will get cloudy water which will take 3-5 days to clear up after a new smartchlor cartridge.

If you keep these in mind, it's really easy. If you are not diligent, it will be even more expensive and will get out of balance quickly.

The least expensive method but more labor intensive is a regimen of Dichlor and liquid bleach. With this method, you need to religiously test after use and shock after use to keep the free chlorine right. While it doesn't really take all that much effort, it does take effort and time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 03:41:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42