What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help! I messed up installation of Balboa WiFi module now my Bullfrog spa is dead  (Read 1922 times)

DAR

Ok first thing I want to say is that this is a purely self-inflicted injury.

My spa is a Bullfrog R7L with BFBP20 control box and R600 Classic Control Pad.
I purchased a Balboa BP Wifi Module 50350 to retrofit.
The wifi module is compatible with my control box, and my control box has the 4-pin wired connector block coming out oof the control box as described in the wifi module installation instructions. And I verified that the other end of the 4-pin connector wire is connected to the appropiate pins on the circuit board.

Due to my carelessmess and hurrying, in the process of connecting the wifi module to the 4-pin connector, I did 2 things that the instructions explicitly warn against doing:
1. I connected the wifi module without turning off the power first.
2. I fumbled and made several attempts to make the connection is an incorrect orientation. The square shape plastic connector blocks are symmetrical so can be connected in any orientation. The only guide to correct orientation is the location of the very small and hard-to-see locking tabs on the two plastc blocks.

When making the connection in one of the incorrect orientations, my spa "died". Pumps stopped woking. Console display dead and unresponsive. Cycling hte power at my GFCI box does nothing.

I did the following checks:
My non-contact voltage tester is indicatimg I do have power at the incoming power terminal block.
Moving the voltage tester around to various location on the circuit board, the tester is indicating power.
I turned off power at GFCI switch, removed and tested all the fuses on the circuit board, and they all test as good (have contnuity).

I am bracing myself for an expensive fix. The price of my carelessness.
However I would appreciate some guidance from people who are knowledgeable about this regarding what is the most likely thing I broke?

i am thinking the most likely components that I broke are the control pad or the circuit board.
The control pad costs around $250.
The circuit board costs around $650.
The approach I was going to take is start with the lower cost option, whihc is to replace the control pad. If that does not fix the problem, then the next step would be to replace the circuit board.

I guess my question is this: how likely is it that I broke the control pad vs how likely is it that I broke the circuit board?
If consensus opinion of expers is very certain that I broke the circuit board, then I will start by replacing the circuit board and hopefully the control pad is not damaged and it comes back to life with the new circuit board.

FYI the wifi module interacts with the control pad. A set of installation instructions I came across
stated that the circuit board connector fo the control pad and the circuit board connector for the wifi module are interchangeable (either component can be connected to either circuit board connector and it will all still work, according to these instructions).

Really hoping someone with experience can give me guidance.  Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

A Rai

You most likely fried your Spa Pack and will new to order a new one.

DAR

Replaced the circuit board, connected the WiFi module correctly (power off and correct pins orientation)and everyuthing is working fine now.

waterpro

Congrats on getting it back up and running.  Curious, how do you like the wifi unit? 

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42