What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Chemistry Help Needed - Green Water  (Read 1838 times)

HoW2001

Water Chemistry Help Needed - Green Water
« on: August 16, 2021, 04:31:31 pm »
Only a few weeks into being a hot tub owner and struggling hard with water chemistry issues!  Using a frogease bromine/mineral inline system and i'm definitely doing something wrong.  History:  Filled, ahhh-somed, emptied (including wet vaccing jets), wiped down with white vinegar solution, refilled and used the frog shock starter.  Out of the tap, TA, PH and hardness all appear low.  I get the TA and PH balanced.  After a week or so, I brought the hardness up.  Shortly after that water gets cloudy.  I shock with MPS.  Still cloudy.  Shock with dichlor.  Still cloudy.  Thoughout, foaminess is a recurring issue, that I've battled with occasional anti-foam (this is a beach house, so even if you keep detergented bathing suits out, you're not keeping sun screen out without becoming the worlds biggest nag). 

After use by guests with 3 tweens felt like a good time to drain and start over.  I drain (no vacuum this time), wipe down with white vinegar solution, refill, and shock with dichlor.  The next day I bring up TA, then PH, then hardness.  It gets only minimual use during the next few days, but day 4 its gone cloudy.  By day 6 its turned quite green.

No idea whats going on, but getting frustrated and not helping the worlds water shortage!   I've now added Natural Chemistry Spa Metal Free, and no idea how long thats supposed to take, but nothing has changed at this point (its only been a couple of hours, but i'm driving myself crazy here).  Any ideas whats going on and how it can get addressed?

Hot Tub Forum

Water Chemistry Help Needed - Green Water
« on: August 16, 2021, 04:31:31 pm »

cranbiz

Re: Water Chemistry Help Needed - Green Water
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 09:31:50 am »
What was your water source? Sounds like you have iron or other metals in the water.

Do you pre filter the water when filling?

HoW2001

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 01:00:50 pm »
What was your water source? Sounds like you have iron or other metals in the water.

Do you pre filter the water when filling?

Its municipal water.  I didn't pre filter, but I feel like I've read hose filters don't do anything for copper (if indeed the green is suggesting there is copper present) in any event. 

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 01:58:54 pm »
You are using Frog @ease.  When you use the test strip, does the Smartchlor indicator show a lighter or darker color?  Is the Frog @ease inline or a floating system?  To me it sounds like a lack of sanitizer.  If it was copper in the water it would likely turn green as soon as you add either chlorine or non-chlorine shock.

HoW2001

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 03:18:25 pm »
You are using Frog @ease.  When you use the test strip, does the Smartchlor indicator show a lighter or darker color?  Is the Frog @ease inline or a floating system?  To me it sounds like a lack of sanitizer.  If it was copper in the water it would likely turn green as soon as you add either chlorine or non-chlorine shock.

This may be the answer.  It's an inline system.  I tend to use the Taylor Test kit, so I manually check the cartridge periodically. When I checked it right when the issue popped a few days ago, I gave the cartridge a shack and got no sound for a half beat, then heard the sanitizer shaking around almost as if it had clumped for some reason.  When I checked again today, it was definitely empty.  I swapped in a new cartridge, shocked and thinks do already look better (less kermit green, more aqua), so I'm hoping thats the resolution.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 03:18:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42