What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Questions  (Read 2247 times)

kcguy74

Hot Tub Questions
« on: June 10, 2021, 08:59:39 am »
We are moving into a new house in July and were originally thinking of installing an above ground swimming pool (we had one at our old house).  Due to the limited size of our lot, I am now thinking a hot tub might be a better option.  I know almost nothing about hot tubs so have a bunch of questions:

1. Can we use a larger hot tub as both a hot tub during cooler seasons and a mini pool during summer?   Has anyone done this? How did it work out?  Any special features I should look for if we do this?

2.  Can we install a hot tub on a stamped concrete patio?  Patio is 16'x16' with an overhead pergola above. 

3.  What are the best brands/models to look for?

4.  What are important features to look for when shopping?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Questions
« on: June 10, 2021, 08:59:39 am »

cranbiz

Re: Hot Tub Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 09:36:59 am »
You can do that. Just set the temp to what you want for the season. It's less than ideal simply due to space.

Not sure what your budget is but you can also look into a swim spa and have it do both. Swin Spa's are not cheap though. Artesian (Tidal Fit) makes a good swim spa. Something like the EP-12 might do exactly what you want in the space you have. The DTL would be ideal for you but it's too big for your space.

The single most important thing to look for is the dealer. Most mainstream manufacturers (Hot Springs, Caldera, Marquis, Artesian, Bullfrog) make a quality tub, it's the end support  that matters most to you as eventually all tubs need service. A good dealer is a blessing, a bad dealer is a nightmare. I have an Artesian tub and a great dealer. I looked at a lot of tubs and dealers before deciding to buy from a dealer 100 miles from me as they had the best reviews and my in showroom experience was far better than with the dealers within 25 miles of me. I had one small initial issue which the dealer promptly responded to me, a callback from a tech within 10 minutes who quickly guided me thru resolution of the issue (an air bound pump).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 09:38:48 am by cranbiz »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 11:17:28 am »
We are moving into a new house in July and were originally thinking of installing an above ground swimming pool (we had one at our old house).  Due to the limited size of our lot, I am now thinking a hot tub might be a better option.  I know almost nothing about hot tubs so have a bunch of questions:

1. Can we use a larger hot tub as both a hot tub during cooler seasons and a mini pool during summer?   Has anyone done this? How did it work out?  Any special features I should look for if we do this? You can try to lower the temp but at the peak summer season you'll run into temperature creep (the hotter your area the more problem this will be and the better insulated the spa is the more that temp will rise) and it may not be so doable when its really hot and you want it cool. There are some after-market systems out there that will draw that heat out and specifically are designed to make it a cool spa for summer but they can be costly though effective (people in super hot places like Phoenix, Vegas... almost have to have this to use the spa in summertime).  Since you were considering a pool in the first place you might want to consider a bit of both and look into a swim spa, most dealers carry them and there are multiple good brands though obviously they are pricier.

2.  Can we install a hot tub on a stamped concrete patio?  Patio is 16'x16' with an overhead pergola above.  Sure, assuming its poured properly and doesn't have too much of a slope, it should be fine.

3.  What are the best brands/models to look for? There are many good brands and everyone will have a different list but I'd suggest you look at the "dealer locator" on the following brand websites to see what might be local to you: Artesian, Bullfrog, Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance.

4.  What are important features to look for when shopping? Get a well respected brand and I'd suggest you get one definitely big enough for the number of people generally going in
 and understand if the brochure states its a 5 person spa its really a 4 person and a 6 person spa is really a 5 person (or a 4 person if they're big people) plus realize lounges don't work great for everyone and take up a lot of space so if you get a lounge seat assume most others will need to use the other seats (unless you wet test and can verify it works well for you). Be honest with yourself and understand you get what you pay for so get a good brand but also don't get too caught up in specs or jet count (they can be very deceiving). Maybe most importantly make sure its a dealer that you feel good about as they can make a HUGE difference after the sale when they've already made their profit and now you need their help (the more local the better but sometimes you need to go a little further out if the closer dealers don't seem right for you)!! In the end don't kid yourself and go with your gut!!

Thanks!

220, 221, whatever it takes!

AnderSuitt

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 11:51:40 am »
I’m no expert by ANY stretch of the imagination, but we live in Louisiana and have younger kids so we wondered the same as your first question. We went with a Caldera in part because they offer the Cool Zone system which is essentially a mini-split AC that can cool the tub. Hot Spring is made by the same manufacturer so they also offer it. We are trying without it this year to decide if we need it. Dealer said it would be $2400 and it does require an HVAC person to hook it up. But it’s an option!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 11:51:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42