What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying a new hot tub, need a bit of wisdom  (Read 3855 times)

thecomputerguy

Buying a new hot tub, need a bit of wisdom
« on: April 30, 2021, 10:08:09 am »
So I know what I want, but I just want to make sure I am not missing something that ya'll would know about.

I have been doing some reading looking for the perfect hot tub for me and my fam, and I already have my criteria:

• Durable Acrylic Shell, Self-supporting
  • Powerful Jets that are somehow controllable (I like the jets very intense, and my partner likes 'em mellow)
  • Seats at least 4 comfortably
  • Full-cavity open celled foam insulation
  • Below $9k
  • All plumbing connections clamped

In a previous career I was a builder and am currently an engineer, so I am confident in my ability to handle any non-shell related repairs myself so I am not so set on having a dealer that does their own repairs.
I wet-tested a few tubs already, and the jets on the Sundance Optima were much too weak for me. Same for the Jacuzzi J-345. I didn't mind the jets on a bullfrog model, but I am not in the market for a roto-mold tub.

I wanted to wet-test a MasterSpas, but the nearest dealer is 1.5hrs drive away from the house.
The other two brands that seem to have what I'm looking for are Marquis and Hot Springs. The silk stuff from Marquis and the salt systems from Hot Springs seem like tomfoolery to me, but I am willing to overlook some of the marketing hooha if it gets me into my dream tub.

Do you know of any specific tubs by the manufacturers I looked at that would fit my criteria, and any manufacturers that have a tub that fits that I have overlooked? I am looking to get into one tub for the long haul and any help would be really appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

Buying a new hot tub, need a bit of wisdom
« on: April 30, 2021, 10:08:09 am »

cranbiz

Re: Buying a new hot tub, need a bit of wisdom
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 01:08:01 pm »
In today's market, you can't get what you want for the price specified.

Giving your list, Marquis is probably your best bet for quality and price. Hot Springs makes a good tub but you won't be able to touch one for $9K and your seating 4 comfortable.

Even though Artesian recently changed from glue and clamp to glued Sure Grip plumbing, I wouldn't rule them out. They make a fine tub also and could meet your price point in something like an Antigua.

Sure Grip is used by several top manufacturers, including Marquis. It's a torsion system. The pipe has an inner liner that mates to the fitting. The more tension on it, the tighter it grips, like a Chinese Finger.

Sam

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 01:33:56 pm »
Just an fyi, Bullfrog does not make a rotomold hot tub.  Not sure what you are talking about there. 

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 02:00:08 pm »
The silk stuff from Marquis and the salt systems from Hot Springs seem like tomfoolery to me, but I am willing to overlook some of the marketing hooha if it gets me into my dream tub.

Both the silk stuff and salt are options and you don't need to buy them if you don't want them on your Marquis or Hot Spring.  FYI, both are awesome.  I wish there was a spa that both had the salt system and microsilk... I own a Hot Spring Sovereign with the Salt system right now though.

It's funny how plumbing is being made a big deal now.  Keep in mind, the only plumbing you can really clamp is Clear Vinyl tubing.  Everything else, a clamp doesn't work...

I'm absolutely positive that every major brand out there clamps all their clear vinyl.  Big-box stores don't, but I haven't seen anything that shows otherwise.

thecomputerguy

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 02:21:28 pm »
Just an fyi, Bullfrog does not make a rotomold hot tub.  Not sure what you are talking about there.

Good to know. I was in one, and got in and underneath the cabinet of one recently, so I made some assumptions and was mistaken. Thanks a ton for the info!

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 02:55:45 pm »
The silk stuff from Marquis and the salt systems from Hot Springs seem like tomfoolery to me, but I am willing to overlook some of the marketing hooha if it gets me into my dream tub.

Both the silk stuff and salt are options and you don't need to buy them if you don't want them on your Marquis or Hot Spring.  FYI, both are awesome.  I wish there was a spa that both had the salt system and microsilk... I own a Hot Spring Sovereign with the Salt system right now though.

It's funny how plumbing is being made a big deal now.  Keep in mind, the only plumbing you can really clamp is Clear Vinyl tubing.  Everything else, a clamp doesn't work...

I'm absolutely positive that every major brand out there clamps all their clear vinyl.  Big-box stores don't, but I haven't seen anything that shows otherwise.

Agree that Salt is the only way to go imo...we're at about a 75% purchase rate at this point, less chems, less water changes, better feeling water, less consumer frustration....it's a win/win.  As far as OP's question I can't think of anything that falls within that budget, people may not realize this but there is very FEW spas on the market that are actually full foam, and most of them are easily 10k +

thecomputerguy

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 10:18:19 am »
In today's market, you can't get what you want for the price specified.

Giving your list, Marquis is probably your best bet for quality and price.

Well, I took the leap and picked up a Marquis Elite Monaco. Did have to go a bit beyond my budget, but I'm getting it delivered next week. :) Thanks a million for the advice.

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 08:12:48 am »
We’ll have to have pics before you can be declared the true owner.    ;)   Congrats!  Wishing you many years of great soaks. 
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 07:01:55 pm »
Like a wise man used to say on here "soak long and prosper"
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 07:01:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42