What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking for testimonials about the Arctic Spa Fox or similarly small models  (Read 6786 times)

nyanpasu

Hello everyone

I am a prospective hot tub owner. I've been saving for the last 2 years to buy a tub, ever since I got the bug at a company Christmas party. I'm a solo guy that doesn't really entertain, and my yard is on the small side to boot, so I've been looking at smaller tubs. I fell on the Arctic Spa Fox and I thought it would suit my needs well. I tested it and I am more than satisfied with the comfort level. However, there are really two things that keep me from pulling the trigger.

First thing is the price. I was quoted $12k Canadian for the Signature Fox with cover lifter, Siemens spa buddy, installation and one year's worth of chemicals. This seems expensive. I did attempt to haggle but the dealer shut me down immediately, citing high demand. I don't even have steps.

When I expressed interest in SpaBoy + Onzen system I was quoted $3k for the add-on which I thought was wack, as I doubt those are gonna save me $3k in "labour" and chems over the lifetime of the spa. I realize that I am unlucky to finally amass enough money for a tub at this time and I don't know how long the economics of massive stimuli and WFH savings for many professionals will last. For all I know this is a new normal. This is not a specific diss at the Arctic dealer either, others were every bit as unwilling to deal.

The other is the size. When I asked about the next model up, the Cub, it was not that much more expensive. It fit in my budget. But since I'll be alone 99% of the time, I wonder how much of it is fear of missing out and how much is a real want. So that's why I'm looking for testimonials basically, to know whether people who choose small tubs are ultimately satisfied with the size and perhaps others with a similar hesitation who stuck with it laugh at how silly they were. The Fox is basically a foot lengthwise shorter than the Cub, the other 2 dimensions are basically equal. Doesn't sounds like a lot but sometimes a foot makes all the difference.

Thanks for any feedback

Hot Tub Forum

CanadianSpaTech

Where in Canada are you located?

nyanpasu

Where in Canada are you located?

I'm in the Quebec City area.

Big Mack

new user in Canada also looking for a small tub.  Located in Calgary.  Interested in the Arctic Spa Fox or others as well.

cranbiz

Define small. 2 person? Need certain less then dimensions to fit a space? Looking for a certain shape?

In my case, I had a size limitation to fit thru an opening, but wanted to fit as many as possible. That ended up being a 5 person (4 more or less comfortably) tub.

Yes, a foot can make a huge difference. I bought an Artesian Nevis, which is the same as the Artesian Antigua except it's about 6" or so narrower. Where you really see this is in the footwell. Seating isn't cramped but the foot space is. It's a trade off I had to accept due to the opening in the wall the tub has to fit thru.

nyanpasu

My backyard isn't that large to begin with. It's 40' by 40'. The electrical service connection to my mast is overhead and hydro rules are cables must be 5m from the edge of the tub, which translates to ~3m away on the ground. I have a 12' by 12' deck which eats a bunch of space. Town bylaws also keep me from putting it too close to the property lines or too close to the home. So that leaves a bit of space around the middle of the yard. I could fit in a bigger tub there but I wouldn't have much leeway to position it.

I'm a solo guy and I don't have company over as a general rule. The tub is 99% of the time for me. A tub like the Fox is billed as 4 people (which we all know means 2) and it's 6'x7'. Logically that should be enough, but I can't shake the feeling that for $12k I should be getting more tub and wondering if I'm making a mistake by buying for my needs now. Out of the major brands it seems to be either Jacuzzi, Arctic or Bullfrog in the area and the Arctic dealer does have a great reputation, plus I am moving to the boonies and they are willing to deliver and service for no extra fee.

cranbiz

Dealer is very important and it sounds like the Artic dealer has their act together.

$12K is a lot for a small tub but in the frozen north, insulation is very important and the Artic is decently insulated. Can you at least sit in them dry? That way you can get a feeling for seating, etc.

A tub is a 10-15 year investment so down the road thinking is valid but if you can get a solid 5 years out of this one, you could always upgrade later if needed and recoup some of your investment on the used market.

nyanpasu

I don't think these prices are forever so were I to resell it I would probably get back less as a percentage of the original price than I otherwise would.

I got lucky and managed to visit dealerships at a time where non essential businesses were open. I did dry test a few models. The Arctic ones were more to my taste because they are so contoured. I'm not a fan of open seats.

I know they're controversial. But my boss has owned a few and swears by them and especially the local dealer.

MarKee

Shortages in the hot tub industry will likely be a 2-3 year struggle. When the factories finally catch up, prices will not go down. Everything costs more now, materials are 2-3x more, labor is way more expensive, freight is expensive. In my experience, prices don’t go down, the same tub could be $4K more 2-3 years from now.

BullFrogSpasMN

Shortages in the hot tub industry will likely be a 2-3 year struggle. When the factories finally catch up, prices will not go down. Everything costs more now, materials are 2-3x more, labor is way more expensive, freight is expensive. In my experience, prices don’t go down, the same tub could be $4K more 2-3 years from now.

This..it will be at least 2 years before anything is caught up and ya, hell will freeze over before a manufacturer 'lowers' prices, EVERYTHING is going up due to increased costs and inflation  ;D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member

This..it will be at least 2 years before anything is caught up and ya, hell will freeze over before a manufacturer 'lowers' prices, EVERYTHING is going up due to increased costs and inflation  ;D

Some assume spa prices are up mainly due to a serious spike in demand which is definitely outpacing supply (for various reasons) and therefore dealers can afford to raise prices and still sell them as quick as they can get them. Price increases won't simply stop once demand and supply match up again (which really is a couple 2 years away). In order for prices to stabilize not only would supply need to catch up with demand (and the backlog) but transportation spikes would need to stop, shortages on key chemicals, plastics, metals, ... and many other items that pop up daily would have to stop. Those who think waiting 6 months or 1 year will change anything will find out otherwise IMO. Will it be different in 2 years, 3 years, 4...? Certainly things will plateau at some point (not sure if prices will actually drop) but time will tell when that is but not short term.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 03:35:03 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Gibson00

IF you decide you can fit a larger tub, measuring about 85 x 85 inches I think, you might want to check out the Arctic Spas Totem.  It is one of their classic series, still super nice, and I believe the price is about the same as you were quoted for yours.  You'd be getting a much larger tub for your money.

https://www.arcticspas.ca/en/hot-tubs/totem/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=9398895297&utm_content=121697971916&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjws-OEBhCkARIsAPhOkIYrgCcLvl-dU9xZtweMswoyY5z9i3cHp33sB8ptzXyE7jz66haIa54aAo2kEALw_wcB

Big Mack

jacuzzi J425 will cost more but is a step or two above the Fox.  Nice small size.  Excellent hydro therapeutics that the fox isn't even close to competing with.  I wet tested both in Alberta.  I also don't buy in to the Arctic insulation approach.  and the exteriors were all high maintenance cedar.  Not sure if they had other synthetic cabinet materials.  Def wet test a few so you get a feel for the different brands and their jets in the lines in your price range and if getting a lounger make sure you don't float.  Good luck.

nyanpasu

jacuzzi J425 will cost more but is a step or two above the Fox.  Nice small size.  Excellent hydro therapeutics that the fox isn't even close to competing with.  I wet tested both in Alberta.  I also don't buy in to the Arctic insulation approach.  and the exteriors were all high maintenance cedar.  Not sure if they had other synthetic cabinet materials.  Def wet test a few so you get a feel for the different brands and their jets in the lines in your price range and if getting a lounger make sure you don't float.  Good luck.

I got in touch with the local Jacuzzi dealer and this runs 30% more than the Fox. Ouch. Out of my budget unfortunately.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member

I got in touch with the local Jacuzzi dealer and this runs 30% more than the Fox. Ouch. Out of my budget unfortunately.

Every major spa maker will have something around the size of the Fox or J-425 and while the latter was outside you're budget its always good to check out your options and if the Fox stays at the top of your want list then you've found your spa.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42