What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is it wise to add a shut off valve?  (Read 2664 times)

brownnugen

Is it wise to add a shut off valve?
« on: April 17, 2021, 04:21:06 pm »
I have a Tidalfit swim spa the I recently picked up off of Facebook marketplace.  When I opened up the cabinet to take a look at the variable speed pumps, I noticed there were no (visible) shut off valves going into the pumps.  I just drained the swim spa and was wondering if it would be advisable to take time and add shut off now.

My thinking is if any kind of repair to the pump were needed (crossing my fingers I will never need to), a shut off valve just before the pumps would prevent me from having to drain 2,000 gallons of water.

Has anyone ever done something like this? 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 04:25:47 pm by brownnugen »

Hot Tub Forum

Is it wise to add a shut off valve?
« on: April 17, 2021, 04:21:06 pm »

CanadianSpaTech

Re: Is it wise to add a shut off valve?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 07:16:52 pm »
2 sides to every pump so you will need to add 2 gate valves...one before and one after

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 09:22:24 pm »
2 sides to every pump so you will need to add 2 gate valves...one before and one after

Easy Peasy, good idea.
Retired

brownnugen

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 06:08:29 am »
I should clarify-  in my original post, the pumps I was referring to are the variable speed pumps for the swim jets.

After doing a little more exploring, I found a Gate Valve at the circulation pump.  Would closing that valve serve the same purpose of being able to not have to dump all my water if I had to remove a pump? 

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 07:36:54 am »
There has to be a gate valve on each side of each pump. You can't close just one gate valve. If there is one at the circulation pump I'm sure if you follow the plumbing line there will be another...likely on the other side of the heater so if you had to remove the circ or the heater/spa pack you would be able to isolate that area in between the 2 gate valves. It would not isolate the main pumps unless they have their own valves again one before the pump and one after so you can work in between and remove the pump.

brownnugen

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 01:42:27 pm »
Here are pictures of my Tidalfit configurations:
Circulation pump (with 1 Gate Valve):

The jet pump for the 2 upper jets:

I have a clear view between the area after the pump and where the swim jets and I can confirm there are no Gate valves after the pump.  In the picture (before the pump), I also don't see a Gate valve; would they have installed on closer toward the circulation pump?   

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 01:54:59 pm »
no pics

brownnugen

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 02:14:29 pm »
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:16:42 pm by brownnugen »

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 07:03:53 pm »
In the first photo the gap in between the pump unions and the elbows at the face of the pump and on the side of the pump is where there should be gate valves but looks like they cheeped out. In the second photo there should be a gate valve to the right of the blue Neo Spa pack.
To add a gate valve to the first photo you will need a 2" pump Union, S X SPG Gate Valve, 2" pipe coupler, 1' of 2" ridged pipe, glue. Pretty tight fit to get it all in there and connected together. Not going to be easy if you haven't done it before. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 07:03:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42