What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Temporary hot tub location  (Read 1816 times)

SquireTrelane

Temporary hot tub location
« on: May 19, 2021, 06:04:16 pm »
Hi All,

So here's my problem, maybe. My Nevis is due to arrive in August (but who knows?) and our patio may not be completed by then. Instead of letting the dealer hold it until we're ready, I'd like to place it on the level ground where our recently removed pool sat. My questions are the following:

1. How difficult will it be to move it from the temporary area to the new patio? It's about 50-60 feet away. Would the dealer do this for me (waiting to hear back from them)?

2. There's just level dirt where I would place it temporarily. What other preparations would I need to make to prepare and place the tub there? Pavers? I'm thinking of putting a tarp over the dirt and buying one of the hot tub pad/platforms I've heard about. Would this work?

3. Electrical circuit - the permanent circuit will be on patio, 60 feet away. Is there any issue running an extension cord that distance? Are there special cords for this purpose?

Thanks everyone!

Hot Tub Forum

Temporary hot tub location
« on: May 19, 2021, 06:04:16 pm »

CanadianSpaTech

Re: Temporary hot tub location
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 08:40:40 pm »
Just place it on a skid and use it on the skid until you are ready. A skid will be flat and support it well enough. Level is up to you but flat is better than level.

SquireTrelane

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 10:18:23 pm »
Thanks. I really appreciate it.

cranbiz

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 08:58:21 am »
Hi All,

So here's my problem, maybe. My Nevis is due to arrive in August (but who knows?) and our patio may not be completed by then. Instead of letting the dealer hold it until we're ready, I'd like to place it on the level ground where our recently removed pool sat. My questions are the following:

1. How difficult will it be to move it from the temporary area to the new patio? It's about 50-60 feet away. Would the dealer do this for me (waiting to hear back from them)?

2. There's just level dirt where I would place it temporarily. What other preparations would I need to make to prepare and place the tub there? Pavers? I'm thinking of putting a tarp over the dirt and buying one of the hot tub pad/platforms I've heard about. Would this work?

3. Electrical circuit - the permanent circuit will be on patio, 60 feet away. Is there any issue running an extension cord that distance? Are there special cords for this purpose?

Thanks everyone!

My Nevis will be here tomorrow (Friday). To give you an approximate time frame, it was originally due into the dealer late February to early March and arrived at the dealer last Wednesday. So at this time in mid May, it was delayed approximately 8-10 weeks.

Dry weight on a Nevis is 769 lbs. it's possible to move it but it's certainly not an easy task. I'm sure the dealer would move it into the permanent location for a fee, for free, I doubt it. Alternately, yo could find a Spa moving company and pay them to move it 50-60'. They may not charge a lot to simply relocate it at the same address.

I would keep it on the shipping skid for now.

For electric, bite the bullet and buy some additional 6-3 and wire it into the disconnect. If you buy 6-3 UF, it meets code for direct burial and would be safe.  Nassau Electric (on the internet) has 6-3 UF-B for $3.50 a foot which is $2.00 cheaper a foot than Lowes. Nassau ships quick too. Probably cost you about $250 with shipping but it's to code.

You would need to buy a 100' extension cord, which is going to cost more than just buying the 6-3 UF-B. Unless you mount a 50A plug on the tub and at the disconnect, you can't use an extension cord. (Well you can if you chop the ends off but if you are going to go that, buy the 6-3 UF)

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 07:42:46 am »
50 - 60’?  And I was dreading moving my Envoy 8’.  :D  I did move it by myself, though.  Well, me and my Jeep winch. 

I believe like the others, your impatience is definitely going to cost you some extra $$$ in moving, and in electrical supplies.  Plus, just because these things are listed as portable, doesn’t mean they don’t take on some wear and tear when we move them around.  I’m as impatient as the next guy, so I can certainly understand you wanting it set up as soon as possible.  The dealer has plenty of room for it, and I’m sure it would remain packed and protected until you’re ready for it.  Wishing you the best, whichever way you go with it.  Remember..... we love pictures. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 07:44:50 am by Spoiledrotten »
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 07:42:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42