What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gecko error code starting up spa after winter  (Read 3177 times)

paul mav

Gecko error code starting up spa after winter
« on: April 04, 2021, 10:48:35 pm »
Hello, when I start up my LA SPA for the first time after winter, I hear a humming noise on one of the pumps.  Errors on the panel are r1 followed by LL7.  Any one have an Idea where I can get the meaning of these codes?  Thank you

Hot Tub Forum

Gecko error code starting up spa after winter
« on: April 04, 2021, 10:48:35 pm »

CanadianSpaTech

Re: Gecko error code starting up spa after winter
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 10:40:15 am »
R1 is the software revision code and LL7 is the lower level programming that tells the spa what components are in the spa and how they operate.

As for the humming noise... are the pumps moving water? you might have an air lock in the pumps wet end that is preventing flow. Google hot tub air lock.
If you are certain there is no air lock present you might have a bad start capacitor in the pump. To check this there is a small dust cover at the back of the motor in the middle/center of the motor. When you remove the dust cover you will see the shaft of the motor and it has a slot in it to accept a flat head screwdriver. When you hear the motor hummm give the motor shaft a spin with the screwdriver and assist the pump to start spinning. If the motor starts to run normal then you likely have a bad start capacitor and will need to be replaced.

paul mav

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 10:21:26 pm »
R1 is the software revision code and LL7 is the lower level programming that tells the spa what components are in the spa and how they operate.

As for the humming noise... are the pumps moving water? you might have an air lock in the pumps wet end that is preventing flow. Google hot tub air lock.
If you are certain there is no air lock present you might have a bad start capacitor in the pump. To check this there is a small dust cover at the back of the motor in the middle/center of the motor. When you remove the dust cover you will see the shaft of the motor and it has a slot in it to accept a flat head screwdriver. When you hear the motor hummm give the motor shaft a spin with the screwdriver and assist the pump to start spinning. If the motor starts to run normal then you likely have a bad start capacitor and will need to be replaced.

Thank you for the reply, first time in 10 years that I have seen this message.  Usually the pumps turn on and everything is good to go.  Will try the capacitor.  Thanks for the info

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 10:32:40 pm »
Does the topside get past the R1,LL7, and a 3rd set of numbers or does it keep "resetting" those codes over and over? If this is the problem and it is a Gecko IN.XE spa pack then it is the low voltage power supply inside the pack and can be repaired....if you can find the right electronics repair person in your area.

paul mav

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 04:29:35 pm »
no just r1, LL7 and then get time.  But pump 1, never turns on.  It Hums
Thanks
PAUL

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 04:32:07 pm »
Have to follow the instructions I gave earlier and try to give it a bit of help starting.

paul mav

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 09:43:37 pm »
Tried it and it started.  I tried just turning with a screwdriver and it seemed jammed, wasn't turning freely.  Powered on, helped it and off it went.  Only thing that I noticed now is that there is a leak.  Is it possible that the seal, and impeller jammed up and that was the cause?  Possible, now have to fix the leak.  Thanks

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 06:37:59 am »
You will need to rebuild the pump with a new front bearing, Impeller and shaft seal. What has happened is the centrifugal force of the shaft spinning has mushroomed the end of the motor shaft which in turn has caused the impeller shaft to spread/split and is locking it into the seal causing the leak. You will have to grind down the end of the motor shaft that has mushroomed. Careful not to damage the threads on the shaft

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 06:37:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42