Original > Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Platform Build Questions

(1/4) > >>

northwoods11:
I've read previous posts on this question but I don't believe anyone has addressed whether this platform build is considered adequate: wikihow.com/Build-a-Hot-Tub-Platform.  I live in extreme Northern Wisconsin (Lake Superior region) with a very deep frost line, so I'm not going to dig out / pour concrete for footings. I saw one post where someone did that and others advised against it, but they were already committed so kept going. We're also dealing with a sloped ground and a lot clay soil.

My questions are:

1. Does this design seem adequate? Is it overdone?
2. How much space would one want around the hot tub if any? Do we only need space for the steps and the rest of the platform is essentially right in line with the tub? Eventually we'll have a deck that comes right up to the tub, but that will come down the road.

Thanks for any guidance! The tub is being delivered on 4/12, so I've got to get working on it ASAP.

CanadianSpaTech:
Consider leaving space for the cover lifter if you are using one. Most require 18" for clearance

"Eventually we'll have a deck that comes right up to the tub, but that will come down the road."
It always worries me when folks say this. Remember you might need access to the sides of the spa for repair if ever needed.
If you are thinking of building it up to the lip of the spa consider how you are going to get into the spa. A deck that is near the top lip of the spa you will then have to step down into the spa from a standing position or get down onto your hands and knees to get in and really awkward getting out. Ideally a deck the has removeable sections for accessing the sides of the spa and is only built about half way up the side of the spa so you can easily sit on the side of the spa and just swing your legs in.

northwoods11:
Thanks for this feedback. I should have been more clear: the deck will be as close to ground level as possible, so we won't have a build that creates a sunken hot tub effect, and I'll be sure to leave room for access and comfort getting in and out. My main issue is that I'd like the platform to be as low profile as possible because it's going to sit behind our house, where we currently have a great view and I don't want the hot tub to block that. The wiki instructions at the link in the original post would create a platform that's at least 24" off the ground. That's my main question about those instructions: do you need three beams and then three joists laid on top? My original design idea was to have the three beams be the joists, but I'm wondering if that's inadequate for distributing load for an 80" x 89" tub.

CanadianSpaTech:
Do you need to have a "deck" or can you do a 4x4 or 6x6 wood frame backfilled with limestone screenings. How much of a slope?

northwoods11:
There's about a 12" difference from the back end to the front end (maybe more), so definitely significant enough to have to be built for. Would this design with piling support underneath be enough? I had a builder friend come over to consult, and he suggested that solid concrete blocks on sand would be adequate. Then if I use 4x4s at the front of the platform (down hill) to level, will that distribute the load enough? I definitely prefer the more basic approach to keep it closer to the ground and to save on lumber which is so inflated right now.

Thanks for the reply!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version