What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Platform Build Questions  (Read 4937 times)

northwoods11

Hot Tub Platform Build Questions
« on: April 03, 2021, 01:18:58 pm »
I've read previous posts on this question but I don't believe anyone has addressed whether this platform build is considered adequate: wikihow.com/Build-a-Hot-Tub-Platform.  I live in extreme Northern Wisconsin (Lake Superior region) with a very deep frost line, so I'm not going to dig out / pour concrete for footings. I saw one post where someone did that and others advised against it, but they were already committed so kept going. We're also dealing with a sloped ground and a lot clay soil.

My questions are:

1. Does this design seem adequate? Is it overdone?
2. How much space would one want around the hot tub if any? Do we only need space for the steps and the rest of the platform is essentially right in line with the tub? Eventually we'll have a deck that comes right up to the tub, but that will come down the road.

Thanks for any guidance! The tub is being delivered on 4/12, so I've got to get working on it ASAP.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 04:16:25 pm by Forum Admin »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Platform Build Questions
« on: April 03, 2021, 01:18:58 pm »

CanadianSpaTech

Re: Hot Tub Platform Build Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 05:22:32 pm »
Consider leaving space for the cover lifter if you are using one. Most require 18" for clearance

"Eventually we'll have a deck that comes right up to the tub, but that will come down the road."
It always worries me when folks say this. Remember you might need access to the sides of the spa for repair if ever needed.
If you are thinking of building it up to the lip of the spa consider how you are going to get into the spa. A deck that is near the top lip of the spa you will then have to step down into the spa from a standing position or get down onto your hands and knees to get in and really awkward getting out. Ideally a deck the has removeable sections for accessing the sides of the spa and is only built about half way up the side of the spa so you can easily sit on the side of the spa and just swing your legs in.

northwoods11

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 09:44:22 am »
Thanks for this feedback. I should have been more clear: the deck will be as close to ground level as possible, so we won't have a build that creates a sunken hot tub effect, and I'll be sure to leave room for access and comfort getting in and out. My main issue is that I'd like the platform to be as low profile as possible because it's going to sit behind our house, where we currently have a great view and I don't want the hot tub to block that. The wiki instructions at the link in the original post would create a platform that's at least 24" off the ground. That's my main question about those instructions: do you need three beams and then three joists laid on top? My original design idea was to have the three beams be the joists, but I'm wondering if that's inadequate for distributing load for an 80" x 89" tub.

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 09:59:48 am »
Do you need to have a "deck" or can you do a 4x4 or 6x6 wood frame backfilled with limestone screenings. How much of a slope?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 10:01:33 am by CanadianSpaTech »

northwoods11

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 10:19:14 am »
There's about a 12" difference from the back end to the front end (maybe more), so definitely significant enough to have to be built for. Would this design with piling support underneath be enough? I had a builder friend come over to consult, and he suggested that solid concrete blocks on sand would be adequate. Then if I use 4x4s at the front of the platform (down hill) to level, will that distribute the load enough? I definitely prefer the more basic approach to keep it closer to the ground and to save on lumber which is so inflated right now.

Thanks for the reply!

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 03:54:52 pm »
Yeah that's a substantial slope. You want the load equally distributed across the entire frame work. Remember the foot well is the lowest point in the spa and will carry the most weight. I would add extra support in that area.

northwoods11

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 04:02:20 pm »
Thanks for that input! The builder friend came out again and I showed him your frame. We measured the slope and it actually only drops 8", so not nearly as significant as I thought, but still something to build around. We agreed that I should dig the high side (while maintaining a 1/4" - 1/2" slope for drainage), then build a frame similar to what you suggested, and use a significant amount of gravel to be the primary support. The need for extra support at the foot well explains why the frame in the photo has those center members. He thought the photo was a bit of an overbuild and that the gravel would do most of the work. What are your thoughts?

I really appreciate this input. As a first-time hot tub owner there is plenty to be worried about in this process!

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 07:40:34 pm »
I don't think it's an overbuild. What's a couple of extra 2x4's or 4x4's to ensure you don't have problems 6,8, 10, 20 years on. Think of standard deck construction using 2x8 on 16" center and the photo I provided is made of 2x4's and meant to sit on level ground but I defer to your "guy" as he is there and I'm just a guy on the interweb...lol. In the end a deck up to 2' off the ground should be able to support up to 100'/SF. Please post progress and completed project photos and perhaps help the next guy. Enjoy

northwoods11

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 09:32:07 pm »
My guy is a figure-it-out-as-you-go type and doesn't have any hot tub experience, so I think I'll take your advice!  ;)

Good idea on taking photos and posting. I'll be sure to do that! I've become a huge convert to forums with all the DIY projects the Covid year has allowed for. I've always lurked but never posted until this year; however, I appreciate the pay-it forward ethic that keeps these things running, so taking and posting photos seems like the least I could do for your thoughtful input.

northwoods11

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 11:13:46 am »
My build came out great using the suggested plan above. I'm happy to post photos and describe my process, but I can't figure out how to insert pictures. Would someone mind explaining the process?

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 12:24:27 pm »
Think you have to upload to a third party website like https://imgur.com/

northwoods11

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 09:33:18 pm »
Thanks to CanadianSpaTech for help with the planning on this build. You can see picture of what we decided to do and the final result here: https://imgur.com/a/wjdv46E.

Things I've learned in two months of owning a hot tub:

1. Maintaining chemicals is not nearly as complicated as it seems.
2. Weekly and monthly maintenance is a breeze.
3. We love and use the tub more than I had expected before we got it.

Thanks again CanadianSpaTech!

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 07:43:52 am »
Perfect you did a great job and thanks for posting to perhaps help the next person. The only other thing I would recommend would be to change out the lifter to get the cover down low to not block the view... unless you have nosey neighbours on that side or wind from that direction. See UltraLift/ Vision Lift Boomerang cover lifter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlYRErQ110

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 07:55:18 am »

PRO TIPS:

When installing a cover lifter the cross bar should be 3/4" - 1" below the fold and NOT right in/on the fold. This will prevent the fold from splitting apart over time. If it is right in/on the fold when you open the first half of the cover you will see the bar will separate the fold seem wider than designed. Also when you install the screws for the cross bar makes sure that the screws point down to the ground when the bar is in the upright position. If you install them any other way the screw heads will dig into the cover.
Enjoy

northwoods11

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 11:36:43 pm »
That is such a better lift system! We have deciduous trees on that side and a neighbor has a driveway that's only used occasionally. We've got evergreens growing up that should provide more privacy within a year or two at which point I'll definitely look into the lift that allows the cover to be out of sight.

And I'm going out to check where the current lift sits and any screws first thing tomorrow. Thank you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 11:36:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42