What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub buying process in NY - PLEASE HELP MAKE DECISION  (Read 7621 times)

nytub36

Hot tub buying process in NY - PLEASE HELP MAKE DECISION
« on: March 18, 2021, 01:25:54 pm »
Great forum! Truly invaluable information to guide my new tub buying decision. Thank you all!

To preface this post - I'm in the NY Long Island area. Looking for my first tub (although have enjoyed hot tubs for years). No more than a 5 seater (4-5 is fine) with a lounger (no issues with floating). Will be used by 1-2 people 80% of time. The number of jets isn't important, but hydrotherapy/relaxation and good "guts" (insulation, electronics and sub-frame) are. Based on what I saw in person, anything over 350-400 gallons would probably be too much. I don't need a tub "tomorrow", but I am ready to buy today. Although not opposed to waiting for a good tub with a "good deal" (if one can be found in this market). Sept/Oct or even later delivery would be fine. Most below were dry-tested and fit fine. Wet-testing is not encouraged in my area (because COVID still) and I wouldn't push for it until I land on a manufacturer and model that I'm ready to buy.

Originally was focused on these (all local dealers in my area):
Jacuzzi J-415 - quoted 16k with Sept availability
The first dealer I visited. Ruled them out almost immediately because I feel there's a steep premium for the name recognition and there are comparable quality tubs from competitors. Also didn't have the best dealer visit. They didn't seem overly interested in my business and appeared lacking in technical knowledge. Even the simple information like the type/level of insulation and the kind of electronics were a mystery. Didn’t want to open the tub to show me the insides. Overall just didn't seem too interested in answering my questions. Top brand or not, at least make the customer feel welcome. I left that place feeling like I wasted 30 mins for nothing.

Sundance Bristol - quoted 10,300 with Aug availability
I liked the dealer and they have generally good reviews. Though the tub seemed overpriced for what it was. I asked about the Cameo and they told me "limited availability" with not much information as to what that meant in terms of timing. Felt like they were only pushing the tubs they had on the floor and not interested in what I wanted.

Hot Springs Envoy - quoted 14,500 with Sept/Oct availability
Great tub! Liked it very much. The price seemed high for a 4 seater. Would forgo the salt system and stick to the tried-and-true chlorine and water chemistry method. Dealer seemed okay, but was really pushing the salt system.

Artesian Island Elite Grand Bahama - quoted 14,700 with Nov availability
I've read a lot of good things about Artesian and was excited to see their tubs. Specifically, I wanted to see the Elite series Quail-Ridge. Called ahead and the dealer said they had one on the floor. Showed up and they said the guy on the phone made a mistake - they really didn't have that model. Red flag #1.
Asked about buying that model as a new order and initially the dealer said those are no longer offered. I knew that to be a lie, because I called a place in North Carolina about a week prior and they said it IS offered for sale. Red flag #2.
When I said I'd be willing to wait for the exact model I wanted and how a new order would work, the dealer said Artesian is now 22+ months out on new orders. Again, that info didn't match what I heard from the North Caroline dealer – they said 12-14 months for new order. Red flag #3.
This dealer was only interested in pushing the tubs he had on the floor and/or what he had on order. At this point, 20 mins in with multiple red flags, I was ready to walk out. He offered to price out the Grand Bahama. Not my first choice, but I figured since I'd already spent some time there, might as well walk away with a baseline for a somewhat comparable tub. I thought the 14,700 quote is waaay too high for that tub.
Also, really can't wrap my brain around their jet control system. Seems like a fantastic idea to have separate controls for each seat, but the logic also tell me that adding more motors and controls introduces complexity and potential failure points. If this system is so great, why aren't any of the other manufacturers doing it? Am I overthinking this?
I really wanted to like Artesian based on all the good I've heard and read about the company, but my local dealer (he's the only Artesian dealer in my area) really put me off. Wouldn't go back or buy from him even if he offered a great deal.

Master Spas TS7.2 - quoted 11k with mid-late Oct availability
This was a late addition to my buy list and I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the interwebs about the manufacturer. Still wanted to visit the local dealer and see the tub in person to make my own judgment. First, this dealer was head and shoulders above all others I visited prior, in terms of general disposition and knowledge. Offered helpful information without being prodded for it, was not at all pushy and overall very accommodating in a non-salesperson kind of way. Gave me a good feeling. The 7.2 tub I looked at also looked good and fit me well (dry test). Large, well-spaced jets. Just enough extras (waterfall and lights) to make a difference without being uselessly flashy. Although the 11k quote is probably more than what it should be. I thought their LSX series was in the 12k+ range. So maybe this Twilight 7.2 should be sub 10k?

NOTE - all above prices do NOT include NY sales tax.
Any thoughts, notes and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 07:06:53 pm by nytub36 »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub buying process in NY - PLEASE HELP MAKE DECISION
« on: March 18, 2021, 01:25:54 pm »

Red MC

Re: Hot tub buying process in NY - PLEASE HELP MAKE DECISION
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 09:33:14 am »
Strange experience with that Artesian dealer.  Even without the red flags, $14700 is way too much for that model.  But all your prices seem high.  Must be the area.

If it were me, and I couldn't wet test, I'd get the Envoy.  I think it's worth the price premium over the Master.  But that's just me.

To answer the question about the individual seat pumps and variable flow controls, they are awesome.  We had them on our last tub and miss them.  Our new tub has dual-speed motors.  With that, and opening or closing jets, or adjusting diverters, my wife and I can usually find a way to get the amount of flow we both want.  But it seems like we're always faffing around every time we shift seats.  It was really nice to be able to do your own thing without having to negotiate it with someone else.

nytub36

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 10:40:12 am »
Thanks Red MC. Just out of curiosity - approximately what would be a fair price in your region for either the Master 7.2 or HS Envoy?
That's why I wanted to post here and get some opinions, because the quotes I'm getting are really out there.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 10:53:14 am »
Thanks Red MC. Just out of curiosity - approximately what would be a fair price in your region for either the Master 7.2 or HS Envoy?
That's why I wanted to post here and get some opinions, because the quotes I'm getting are really out there.

That is not an apples to apples comparison. More like a Kia versus a BMW.
Retired

nytub36

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 11:47:12 am »
I've owned a Kia and loved it. And have driven my brother's BMW and also loved it.
Master Spas may not be in the same league as Hot Springs, in terms of brand recognition and perceived quality. I happen to like tubs from both manufacturers. Using your Kia/BMW example - I just don't want to buy a Kia for the price of a BMW.

What IS a fair market price for each? So I have a baseline to go on.

Thanks!

cranbiz

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 12:32:08 pm »
The price on a Master TS7.2 ($11K) is about what they go for from what I'm seeing, depending on what's in it. Reports are that Master is due for another increase soon due to parts shortages/increases and shipping increases. Master dealer was quoting 8-10 month delivery on a new spa.

Don't know about the Envoy. When I was shopping earlier in the year, I couldn't get the HS dealer here in NC to give me the time of day, they set an appointment and then when I showed up, said that I didn't have an appointment and told me they couldn't talk to me.

I ended up with an Artesian as that dealer had their act together for good customer service, decent pricing and the tub was on order already, unsold and due in late this month. It also happened to be the color choices I wanted.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:40:08 pm by cranbiz »

Sammi

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 03:16:07 pm »

I paid your quoted price for an Envoy 6 months ago before tax. It included ozone, salt system, sound system, cover, cover cradle 2, steps, electrical box,, and start up package. I would think prices have increased in the past 6 months.

cranbiz

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 03:55:25 pm »
I just talked to my dealer in Raleigh as I wanted to check on a couple of things. I also asked him about a lead time for a new factory order and he said that Artesian was now out to 20-22 months. This is up from the 12-14 months they were quoting back in January.

He also said that my tub was expected to be in before the end of the month. :-)

nytub36

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 04:24:58 pm »
I paid your quoted price for an Envoy 6 months ago before tax. It included ozone, salt system, sound system, cover, cover cradle 2, steps, electrical box,, and start up package. I would think prices have increased in the past 6 months.

I didn't have the sound system spec'd in mine. That's probably a $1k add-on at least. All others seem on par with your deal.
Good to know. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 04:30:34 pm by nytub36 »

nytub36

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 04:28:30 pm »
I just talked to my dealer in Raleigh as I wanted to check on a couple of things. I also asked him about a lead time for a new factory order and he said that Artesian was now out to 20-22 months. This is up from the 12-14 months they were quoting back in January.

The Artesian dealer I spoke with about a Quail-Ridge and who gave me 12-14 mos was Oasis Outdoor in Pineville, NC. If they're really out to 22 mos, that's unacceptable. Entire new houses are built in less time. What's happening with either their supply chain or scheduling/production to warrant almost a 2yr lead time? Wish I could get in sooner, but will have to move on to other manufacturers.
Enjoy your new tub!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 04:34:15 pm by nytub36 »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 04:58:24 pm »

The Artesian dealer I spoke with about a Quail-Ridge and who gave me 12-14 mos was Oasis Outdoor in Pineville, NC. If they're really out to 22 mos, that's unacceptable. Entire new houses are built in less time. What's happening with either their supply chain or scheduling/production to warrant almost a 2yr lead time? Wish I could get in sooner, but will have to move on to other manufacturers.
Enjoy your new tub!

If they are out 22 months it means they are busy. They aren’t the only ones with lead times like they. Tells me they aren’t sacrificing quality for quantity.

Red MC

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 07:44:22 pm »

Last July we were quoted under $15k for the Grandee.  I didn't get a quote on the Envoy, but my recollection was that it would come in around a a grand less.  I think that's probably the least inflated price quote you got, but Hot Spring is already on the expensive side.  You pay for the reputation.

The Master Spas dealer wanted around $13k for the LSX 850.  I forget what we were quoted on the TS8.25, but I'm positive it was under $11k, and I would have expected the TS7.2 under $10k.

The Artesian and Jacuzzi prices you were quoted are the ones that seemed most inflated.  We were quoted only $200 more for the Pelican Bay as you were quoted for the Grand Bahama, and the Piper Glen was right around $14k even.  We didn't even consider Jacuzzi, because as you discovered, that company and its dealers are smoking crack.

Sammi

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 08:04:33 pm »

I didn't have the sound system spec'd in mine. That's probably a $1k add-on at least. All others seem on par with your deal.
Good to know. Thanks!

Just shy of a grand and worth every penny - but we are music lovers. I liked that we could still listen even at minus 15 below F

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 08:49:51 pm »
I've owned a Kia and loved it. And have driven my brother's BMW and also loved it.
Master Spas may not be in the same league as Hot Springs, in terms of brand recognition and perceived quality. I happen to like tubs from both manufacturers. Using your Kia/BMW example - I just don't want to buy a Kia for the price of a BMW.

What IS a fair market price for each? So I have a baseline to go on.

Thanks!

Master gets plenty of brand recognition here, thats why most pros suggest an alternative!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

nytub36

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 10:04:08 pm »

Last July we were quoted under $15k for the Grandee.  I didn't get a quote on the Envoy, but my recollection was that it would come in around a a grand less.  I think that's probably the least inflated price quote you got, but Hot Spring is already on the expensive side.  You pay for the reputation.

The Master Spas dealer wanted around $13k for the LSX 850.  I forget what we were quoted on the TS8.25, but I'm positive it was under $11k, and I would have expected the TS7.2 under $10k.

The Artesian and Jacuzzi prices you were quoted are the ones that seemed most inflated.  We were quoted only $200 more for the Pelican Bay as you were quoted for the Grand Bahama, and the Piper Glen was right around $14k even.  We didn't even consider Jacuzzi, because as you discovered, that company and its dealers are smoking crack.

11,499 is the best I’ve received for TS7.2 with ABS pan, Mast3rPur, QuietFlo Circ pump and WiFi. October timeframe. LSX700 was quoted 2k higher. I can’t justify that expense for an additional  pump and a few extra jets.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 10:04:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42