What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Salt vs OZone  (Read 4136 times)

wcmorris

Salt vs OZone
« on: March 07, 2021, 01:36:17 pm »
I just reserved my Envoy and I need to decided if I want the salt or ozone system. Can any owners of either system comment on their experiences? I was leaning toward salt because the potential benefits sound nice but it also seems like it can be a finnicky system that rarely works. I like the thought of having a tried and true system like ozone plus it's cheaper to operate. Not sure if salt is worth the potential hassle. 

Hot Tub Forum

Salt vs OZone
« on: March 07, 2021, 01:36:17 pm »

A Rai

Re: Salt vs OZone
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 01:40:50 pm »
Do they have UZ and Ozone combined as one? It would be better then both of those methods listed.

Sammi

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 05:19:07 pm »
I just reserved my Envoy and I need to decided if I want the salt or ozone system. Can any owners of either system comment on their experiences? I was leaning toward salt because the potential benefits sound nice but it also seems like it can be a finnicky system that rarely works. I like the thought of having a tried and true system like ozone plus it's cheaper to operate. Not sure if salt is worth the potential hassle.

My Envoy has both. I had a lot of issues with my water and with the salt sticks lasting the first 4 months of ownership. Ny water went so out of whack I completely drained my tub and started over 2 months ago. Since then my water care has been a breeze and the titanium stick I put in 2 months still seems to be going strong as it should be.

The book says to run ozone or salt but not both. My dealer says they have the best of luck running both. I think another dealer on here, might be a Caldera dealer, but same Watkins spas, also runs both with success.

wcmorris

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 08:49:11 am »

My Envoy has both. I had a lot of issues with my water and with the salt sticks lasting the first 4 months of ownership. Ny water went so out of whack I completely drained my tub and started over 2 months ago. Since then my water care has been a breeze and the titanium stick I put in 2 months still seems to be going strong as it should be.

The book says to run ozone or salt but not both. My dealer says they have the best of luck running both. I think another dealer on here, might be a Caldera dealer, but same Watkins spas, also runs both with success.

My dealer didn't say anything about running both. Said I need to pick one. Not sure if I would want to run both because then you are increasing your costs to run them.
I have well water so I know that it is hard water (high calcium) and has some metal issues. I have heard that the salt system can cause issues with water that has high calcium content. I would probably need to be very diligent about balancing the water by using vanishing act and maybe the metal reducer product. I'll need top do this regardless of what system I go with but seems like salt would be more expensive to run on top of the additional cost I'll have to balance my water. Plus I'm a little worried about running salt with hard well water.   

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 11:07:02 am »

My dealer didn't say anything about running both. Said I need to pick one. Not sure if I would want to run both because then you are increasing your costs to run them.
I have well water so I know that it is hard water (high calcium) and has some metal issues. I have heard that the salt system can cause issues with water that has high calcium content. I would probably need to be very diligent about balancing the water by using vanishing act and maybe the metal reducer product. I'll need top do this regardless of what system I go with but seems like salt would be more expensive to run on top of the additional cost I'll have to balance my water. Plus I'm a little worried about running salt with hard well water.

I would look into a portable water softener.  Your dealer can offer you the On-The-Go-Portable Water Softener for $250-$300.  Its worth the investment vs using Vanishing Act on each drain/refill.  Not all dealers will run salt and ozone together.  Ozone will allow you to operate the salt system at a lower setting (extending cartridge life) while still maintaining quality water. 

Sammi

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 11:44:38 am »
I apologize as I should have provided a bit more detail in my response.

I struggled with my salt system at first, but since changing my water it has worked as advertised. My assumption for my struggles is that the top had residual water that sat in the pump housings for who knows how long until I put the tub into use. I was constantly adding chlorine and shock - basically daily and could never seem to get clear water. I had read comments that after the first water change water care seems to be much easier. For me this has definitely been 100% true.

My water has since been clean and clear for over 2 months by simply keeping my alkalinity and ph in check (which I was constantly battling previously along with chlorine issues) and I add shock about once a week. I haven't once had to add chlorine granules. I added 3 oz of phosphate remover when I changed my water (per dealer instruction) and I've had zero phosphates in subsequent tests. My water is a bit in the hard side but haven't had to use the Vanishing Act pillow yet.

Pros of the salt system now that it is working as I anticipated are the ease of maintenance and not having to add chlorine. I've read people with non-salt systems putting in 5 tablespoons of chlorine after each use. That seems outrageously high to me.

With ozone you'll still have to add chlorine after each use or use a floater.

My other HS spa is older and the ozone system went out. I didn't bother replacing it. I use phosphate remover on start up, I use Spa Marvel, and a bromine floater. All I have to do is adjust ph and alkalinity about once a week. Its so easy I almost thought of changing my salt system over to that until I got things dialed with the salt system.

I'd recommend bringing your water in to your dealer for testing if you haven't already done so. They'd be able to tell you if your water is ultimately going to cause issues with the salt system. If it is going to be a struggle then you'll know your answer. The titanium sticks run about $300 after tax for a 3 pack. A 3 pack "should" last a year. If the dealer thinks the your water is too harsh and will burn through them quicker that will help guide your decision as well.

I will say I much enjoy the lack of smell and the feeling of the water in my salt tub compared to my friends non-salt tubs. After I got it dialed in it seems to work as advertised.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 01:34:01 pm by Sammi »

wcmorris

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 07:35:51 pm »
Sounds like salt is nice if it's working. I'll have it on a brand new hot tub that will be first water fill so maybe it would be okay. Again, by biggest concern is using it with high calcium water. Seems like a bit of a chore to balance high calcium water down to acceptable range for use with the salt system. I'm thinking a combination of using a portable water softener and the vanishing act pillows might be enough.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 07:35:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42