What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chinese Spas  (Read 4834 times)

CoffeeBlack25

Chinese Spas
« on: March 02, 2021, 01:02:45 pm »
Hello All,

New to the forum. I'm building a new house and cost of materials are really blowing my budget right now. I have a feeling that I know how this is going to go, but figured I'd ask anyway.

What is the opinion of Chinese built spas?

I found a company that says they use Balboa parts, USA made Acrylic, and put out about 5,000 spas/year. Obviously, that's all a little hard to verify. Here is their website. https://www.chinaroyalspa.com/

I live in Utah and have gone to the US factory store, but these people are offering more for the money. Should I trust them. I won't need the spa for quite a while, so I'm not worried about the shipping time.

Here is a link to that specific model https://www.chinaroyalspa.com/medusa-spa-model/  About $3,300 for this particular model.

Hot Tub Forum

Chinese Spas
« on: March 02, 2021, 01:02:45 pm »

A.O.

Re: Chinese Spas
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 05:38:48 pm »
Great price, but would scare me to death!!

I've been doinked too many times lately ordering stuff from china!

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 05:55:35 pm »
Hello All,

New to the forum. I'm building a new house and cost of materials are really blowing my budget right now. I have a feeling that I know how this is going to go, but figured I'd ask anyway.

I found a company that says they use Balboa parts, USA made Acrylic, and put out about 5,000 spas/year. Obviously, that's all a little hard to verify. Here is their website. https://www.chinaroyalspa.com/

I live in Utah and have gone to the US factory store, but these people are offering more for the money. Should I trust them. I won't need the spa for quite a while, so I'm not worried about the shipping time.

Here is a link to that specific model https://www.chinaroyalspa.com/medusa-spa-model/  About $3,300 for this particular model.

Ask them about how they apply the fiberglass to the back of the tub and what type they use. If done wrong or the wrong fiberglass is used the acrylic will blister quick. I have been contacted by a number of foreign (mostly China) manufacturers and none have been able to answer that question for me. They just sell on price alone. Another factor is warranty. Who fixes it when it needs to be fixed. Are they proprietary Balboa parts being used or off the shelf parts.

CoffeeBlack25

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 06:10:21 pm »
Thanks for the insight. I've sent them an email asking them about this. I also reached out to Balboa to see if they know if they are using genuine Balboa parts. Not sure if Balboa will respond or not.

They do have a Youtube channel that I found that shows their fabrication a little bit. It shows them working on fiberglass, not sure if it's enough info to go off of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYwsDaGSxJQ

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 06:47:12 pm »
Hello All,

I remember in the late 80s when my BIL bought a Hyundai based on bang for his buck. They'd only been in the US a couple years. That car could claim it did everything every other car did and they sold a lot based on price and hope yet in the end that car was a total POS (to put it mildly) and Hyundai barely survived in the US. Over time they did make a good car and that's behind them but many suffered that bought based on a spec sheet and a lower up front cost. Some day China may turn out a good hot tub but who is ready to believe they've mastered the manufacturing process, its not like they've been in the game for long.

The US/Canadian spa makers have decades of experience and results. Anyone buying a China made spa IMO is either kidding themselves or knowingly taking a huge chance and they're being swayed by a spec sheet and a lower up front cost. Add in the amount of fraud coming out of China on knockoffs and I'm not believing any claims made on quality or parts origin (whether made in person, over the phone or in an email coming from someone who wants to sell you). I won't even bring up my confidence level for the warranty which may seem ok on paper but words and actions are two different things.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 07:53:36 pm »
The few I have seen come with minimal insulation so it is something I would look into if you are in a clod weather climate. Metric pump and seals that you might have a hard time finding although it is getting better with more and more MFG using the shitty LX pumps. Servicing the warranty long term would also be a concern.

MarKee

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 01:23:58 am »
Freight costs from China have doubled or tripled over the last year. I would estimate that it would cost them $1000-1500 just to get that from China to a western port. Once it arrives in LA/SF/Portland/Seattle it is easily $500-1000 to get it to Utah. Something doesn’t add up, there is a reason the Chinese spas have never really made it in North America.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 07:04:44 am »
Are they UL listed?
Retired

cranbiz

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 09:04:27 am »
Honestly, this would scare the crap out of me.

Yes, it's a great price and appears to have a lot of features but how do they define jet count? The specs appear to show only a 3 KW heater. Seeing as the newer spas are using a 5.5 KW Balboa heater, your time to heat the water is only about twice as fast as a 110V 1.5 KW heater but almost twice as long as the 5.5 KW heater. Which means more expensive to run.

Who will service it? Can they readily get parts? What's the warranty and more importantly, how easy will it be to get warranty service?

The other questions that you have already asked are good ones and hopefully you will get answers.

Can you afford to throw this money away if this turns out to be a total piece of junk? This is a tough question as this tub may turn out to be a fantastic value and go for as long as a quality US tub but if it turns out to be like most Chinese stuff, can you afford to replace it?

Buy once, cry once definitely applies to spas.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 10:47:32 am »

Can you afford to throw this money away if this turns out to be a total piece of junk? This is a tough question as this tub may turn out to be a fantastic value and go for as long as a quality US tub but if it turns out to be like most Chinese stuff, can you afford to replace it?

Buy once, cry once definitely applies to spas.

"Buy once cry once, think twice take advice" or "buy cheap, buy twice" or ...!

I haven't seen anyone here question China made spas and all the questions that cone with them then follow it with a passing mention of other brands let alone try to represent a specific alternate option, that should speak loudly.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 01:49:18 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

CoffeeBlack25

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 03:50:52 pm »
Balboa got back to me and said that they do indeed supply genuine balboa parts to them. That itself is pretty surprising to me.

He did end up getting back to me though, and after freight and everything, I could get a US made spa. It wouldn't be the same size or have the same features, but it would be made here. Text below is unedited and included options that I specifically asked about.

Dear Trevor Jensen,

Thank you very much for your email again.

Regarding to your need, the quotation as follow:

Titans: USD3567
Electra : USD3627

Shell : H-06(6427) Silver White Marble
Skirt : PS-02 Grey

Option.1) Nordic Durable Insulation Warm Cover (100*60mm) : USD175
Option.2) Free-standing cover lifter : USD108
Option.5) Insulation foam for the tub (25mm) : USD125
Option.6) Insulation foam and reflective aluminum foil for skirt(15mm) : USD98
Option.7) F.R.P Sealed Bottom Panel (5mm) : USD125
Option.8) Insulation on bottom base (5mm) : USD85
Option.15) Movable bar table : USD50
Option.16) Fountain with LED Light : USD70
Option.17) Water-proof LED Corner Lights on 4 corners of cabinet : USD90
Option .18) Luxury 7color LED and bigwaterfall : USD75
Option.21) Subwoofer : USD78
Option.22) UV disinfection system : USD180
Option.23) USA Balboa Control System with 3KW heater : USD450
Option.26) USA Balboa Bluetooth Audio : USD255
Option.27) USA Balboa WIFI receiver : USD185
Option.31) Additional 25mm insulation foam between spa frame : USD255

Delivery to Port of Long Beach : USD985

We will be more than happy to help you in any way we can.

ejj

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 08:19:48 pm »
You have a few things that I would skip anyway. Get a tub with full foam construction and ditch the WiFi and Bluetooth radio.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 09:25:09 pm »
Balboa got back to me and said that they do indeed supply genuine balboa parts to them. That itself is pretty surprising to me.

He did end up getting back to me though, and after freight and everything, I could get a US made spa. It wouldn't be the same size or have the same features, but it would be made here. Text below is unedited and included options that I specifically asked about.

Dear Trevor Jensen,

So you are about 7k before shipping from Long Beach to Utah. So probably another 7-800. Not worth it by a long shot in my opinion. Wonder why only a 3kw heater?  Even with all those insulation packages it’s still not a lot of insulation IMO. I would do a hard pass

CoffeeBlack25

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 01:39:22 pm »

Dear Trevor Jensen,

So you are about 7k before shipping from Long Beach to Utah. So probably another 7-800. Not worth it by a long shot in my opinion. Wonder why only a 3kw heater?  Even with all those insulation packages it’s still not a lot of insulation IMO. I would do a hard pass
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking at this point. I told them I'd want as much insulation as possible, and that's what they sent over.

I currently have a deposit in on a Bullfrog X6L. It's fine, but I want bigger and I'm having a hard time convincing the wife to spend more. Any ideas on a reputable brand that I may be able to get bigger with a similar price to the Bullfrog X series?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 01:46:27 pm »
I guess it would depend on pricing and what brands are available near you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 01:46:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42