What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filling a tub in FREEZING temp  (Read 2158 times)

A Rai

Filling a tub in FREEZING temp
« on: February 13, 2021, 09:50:05 am »
Hi there,

I am going to be filling my tub today and it is -35 degrees CELSIUS where I live.

I was advised that the pump can have a little bit of water freeze up in front of the impellar to prevent it from spinning. I was advised to put a space heater inside of the cabinet, but I feel this is a fire hazard??

Can someone please chime in on this.

Hot Tub Forum

Filling a tub in FREEZING temp
« on: February 13, 2021, 09:50:05 am »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: Filling a tub in FREEZING temp
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 01:28:15 pm »
if your dealer doesn't have weekend emergency services I highly advise against filling a spa on the weekend in those temps, but if you need too then yes a space heater can come in handy to thaw any potential small amounts of ice out of the pumps

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 07:52:29 am »
Use small (750/1500watt) thermostatically controlled space heaters inside the cabinet all the time and leave them inside for days even weeks if needed. I bring them on service calls and place them beside me when it gets really cold to warm my hands and work area.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 12:01:00 pm »
Hi there,

I am going to be filling my tub today and it is -35 degrees CELSIUS where I live.

I was advised that the pump can have a little bit of water freeze up in front of the impellar to prevent it from spinning. I was advised to put a space heater inside of the cabinet, but I feel this is a fire hazard??

Can someone please chime in on this.

The space heater is a great idea.  If you want to be sure the impellers are free, there is typically a spot on the back of the pump motor where you can stick a screwdriver or use a wrench to turn the impeller.  It should turn very easily.  If there is any resistance, it is probably still frozen.  If you have a circulation pump that spins freely, or a pump that runs the heater that spins freely, you can unplug the other pumps and only have the heater pump work.  That will at least heat the water and work on thawing the other pump(s).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 12:01:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42