Brand Specific Forums > Hot Spring Spas

Freshwater Salt Cartridge Lifespan Experiences

<< < (2/8) > >>

Galaxybrooks:
No replacement for what I purchased and still have 2 remaining from the box of three. My dealer is offering 50% off my next batch to make up for the shortened life span.  The original one lasted 6 weeks before the tub shut off the salt system.  10 is what is needed to maintain 3ppm without manually adding dichlor granules.  I would say the output is at 10 about 50% of the time.  When we leave for 3 days or longer I spike the chlorine up to 5ppm and reduce the output to 3 or 4 until we return like the manual suggests.  Usually return to a 2 or 3ppm unless the cartridge is almost dead.  When I lower the output to 6 or 7 the tub drops to .5 to 1 ppm chlorine with daily use.  After a couple days of staying below 3ppm I'll increase the output to 10 and add a little dichlor to assist with getting the levels back in line.  To summarize, I'm adding oxidizer shock once a week, manually adding chlorine once a week and keeping the output at 10 half the time along with a little ph up or down sometimes to keep things in target.  With the salt dial reading in the yellow as of today I'm assuming the cartridge I installed in Dec is on its last leg.

Hottubguy:
Seems like it’s a mixed bag by reading comments on different forums. I will say my customers for the most part aren’t experiencing these problems. We have a few here and there but overall the system has been doing what it’s supposed to be doing. Have they replaced the controller on yours at all?  Are you noticing a calcium or white buildup on the cartridge?

Galaxybrooks:
I'm thrilled to hear that.  Hoping to dial this in soon.  I was mistaken they've all been Grey clips. No replacement of any parts by the dealer. Yes there is a white haze covering both sides of the cartridge I replaced. Is it possible to clean the sides off and reinstall? 

My calcium levels have always been on the low side of target around 25.

By the way thanks for all your input.

Hottubguy:
I would try cleaning it with either a muriatic acid or vinegar solution. Get the white off and put it in and try it again. My own tub was one of the original Freshwater tubs that they made available for beta testing. It has come a long ways from when it first originated. I wonder if your dealer just got a bad batch of cells. The ones I had that were bad were all from one particular order of replacement cells. Has the dealer been having problems with other customers systems?

Galaxybrooks:
As expected the system went inactive today a couple hours after I turned the output down to 6.  Right at 6 weeks again just like the first cartridge.  Replaced and back to 12o'clock on the dial.  Will update when I get the phosphates tested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version