What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Freshwater Salt Cartridge Lifespan Experiences  (Read 14795 times)

LRing1961

Re: Freshwater Salt Cartridge Lifespan Experiences
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2022, 06:55:03 pm »
Just talked to my dealer. He checked my phosphate level and it's zero. He says I should be getting 4 months from each cartridge, but I'm getting 6 weeks.

He said that the granular shock (orange top bottle) that I regularly use contains a stabilizer and my levels of stabilizer were off the charts. There's a name for it, some kind of acid, I think it begins with an "a". Anyway, he sold me some liquid chlorine and told me to drain the tub and start over with fresh water, and to get rid of that shock I've been using. We'll see how that goes.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2022, 06:55:03 pm »

Sam

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2022, 01:23:34 pm »
Cyanuric Acid.  It stabilizes chlorine but builds up and causes problems.

LRing1961

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2022, 01:32:01 pm »
Yes! Thank you! Anyway, he switched me to a much cheaper liquid product. We'll see what happens.

Should I look up what problems Cyanuric acid causes? Do I even want to know?

Sammi

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2022, 09:55:05 pm »
Its a chlorine stabilizer user in granular chlorine. It accumulates. I've been using Spa Guard Chlorine Enhanced Shock (orange cap) and haven't had any issues. I add 2-3 tablespoons about every 4th use and haven't had trouble with CYA climbing. If you are vaing trouble then the liquid is definitely worth the try.

cranbiz

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2022, 10:03:55 am »
You don't want CYA above 30PPM. Less is better in most cases.

As said above, it stabilizes chlorine and helps keep levels of chlorine in the sun (UV). In a hot tub that usually isn't exposed to sunlight, it doesn't break down.

gwmac

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2024, 07:56:52 am »
I have had very good luck. I don't add any chemicals at all other than the ones my dealer gave me for things like adjusting calcium or Ph levels. My last 2 salt cartridges each gave me over 6 months. They will start gibing you warning to replace them at 4 months but I just chose to ignore those messages and the cartridges were still fine. When they finally go bad it will give you a message that you need to replace them

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2024, 07:56:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42