What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Please help a rookie! Artesian v. Caldera v. HS Limelight  (Read 2924 times)

HoW2001

Please help a rookie! Artesian v. Caldera v. HS Limelight
« on: January 22, 2021, 10:25:05 am »
Yes, yet another . . .

First time buyer (for R&R, not thearaputic purposes) and finding the often mindlocking process of hot tub shopping even more difficult during a pandemic when floor models to view are scarce, forget the availability of wet tests. Trying to decide (mostly sight unseen) between three models:

a. Artesian Island Grand Cayman51 ($10,199) - Seems to have all the bells and whistles. From what I've read sounds like a solid tub with good bang for buck.

Dealer seems nice enough but its a small backyards place where hot tubs are just part of the business. They do service inhouse but its just a single guy ("the same one who brings it out to do the install does servicing!"). There's another dealer in the area that is a dedicated spa retailer but his quote was suspiciously low ($9,000), delivery/install seemed dicey ("$250 for two guys, add you and a neighbor and that should get the job done"), and the owner gave off a huge used car salesman vibe. Yuk.

I'd probably pick this tub but for the concerns on dealer options (small time operator or "Larry from Threes Company" used car salesman).

b. Caldera Salina ("$11k to $12k") - Not sure that you're getting much more for the extra grand or so from this tub vs the Artesian (in fact it seems to have a few less bells/whistles), and not sure about the looks of the thing (which I'd like to say doesn't matter, but this huge monolith is getting dropped into my not huge backyard for the next 10-15 years, so it kind of does). Th "ecotech" cabinet, just eyeballing it on the internet, looks a bit like the interior materials used on a mid-80s Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

This dealer gave off more of a new car salesman vibe, which is an upgrade over the alternate Artesian dealer, but still not particularly appealing (and the used car artesian salesman actually specifically name dropped this Caldera dealer with a dig - "How long is he telling you delivery is? Because I hear he's running nearly a year behind on deliveries. He said early spring for some models? Ha." - but I have no confidence that is worth putting any stock in).

Really I'd be pushed to this tub over dealer concerns vs. Artesian and bang-for-buck vs Hot Springs (and yes, I know Caldera and Hot Springs are both Watkins, just not sure if the Caldera and the Limelight would be comparable under the hood).

c. Hot Springs Limelight Pulse (didn't price it out but presume its in the ballpark of the above two) - Seems like you're paying a premium for the Hot Springs name without getting the Hot Springs special sauce (from what I've read "if you're not getting Highlife and/or do not like motomassager, Hot Springs probably isn't worth the premium"). We actually liked this dealer. Smallish but dedicated Hot Springs dealer. Seemed well reviewed on the webs and didn't give off the ick vibe.
We initially were in this shop discussing the Grandee because it has the soonest delivery date (which does factor in a bit), but that was priced at $16,500, which just feels like way too much to spend for something site unseen whose differentiating factor is a "you love it or hate it" motomassager feature that we can't try out in advance.

There is also a Jaccuzzi dealer nearby, who seemed friendly enough without the "sales pitch" vibe, and it was a decent sized operation, so from a dealer perspective I'd be ok, but from what I've read going Jaccuzzi means paying a premium just for the name Jaccuzzi, something I just can't stomach! (Nevermind that I have not done any homework on model options, pricing, delivery dates, etc, and I want to avoid paralysis by analysis).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Really want to pull the trigger on one of these!

Hot Tub Forum

Please help a rookie! Artesian v. Caldera v. HS Limelight
« on: January 22, 2021, 10:25:05 am »

Sam

Re: Please help a rookie! Artesian v. Caldera v. HS Limelight
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 02:31:42 pm »
Those are very good prices on the Grand Cayman.  What options does it have?  I like Caldera and Hot Spring as well but am not sure of current pricing. 

Having a good dealer is really important...if you end up needing them for service or help.  Some people order hot tubs online with practically no service and are fine if they don't have any problems.  I will say though, when the time comes that you have an issue a good dealer can make a huge difference.  You just don't appreciate it until you need it.

castletonia

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 04:22:53 pm »
All are good brands.  In this instance with all quality brands I would advise to place as much emphasis on the dealer as you are the brand in this instance. 

Mechanically, the Pulse and the Salina are identical in terms of insulation, electronics, heater, pumps, etc.  The ergonomics and aesthetics will differ between the two along with the Pulse having a lot more lights and two filters vs one.  Your price on the Salina is a good price and depending on what is all included, could be a very good price.  I would expect a Pulse to run about $500-$750 more than a Salina, at least that is my price difference.

charbrew

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 02:17:22 pm »
Did you end up getting an official price on the HS Pulse? I got quoted $12,300 on a Pulse that included install, steps, electrical box, cover/lifter. Just curious if you got an actual number and how mine compates.

Backcountryluv

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 02:22:41 pm »
Artesian, Hot Springs, Caldera, and Jacuzzi are all good tubs.  I’ve researched all of these lines to death!  I narrowed it down to a Hot Springs Grandee for $14,300 (pre-tax) and an Artesian Pelican Bay for $15,400 (all upgrades except music).  They are both larger and more expensive than originally anticipated, but both have every feature (and then some) we’d want and we can fit our family of four plus guests without feeling crowded.  They also are more visually appealing (to me) than many others.  Looks do matter to many of us, especially to us because our tub is the finishing touch on our newly designed and installed landscaping. Besides, who wants to spend over $10k and not like the looks of their tub?  Some can look very dated. 

In the end, we went with the Artesian, because we liked the features and aesthetics best—plus Artesian is manufactured in our home state.

Dealers are very important, but a one-man show (the Artesian guy you first referenced) isn’t necessarily a bad thing if they have a good history and reputation, and you get a good impression from them. 

In your shoes, I’d definitely rule out dealers that you don’t particularly care to do business with.  I’d give extra thought to the Grandee if the earlier delivery is significant and you can get it with the shell and cabinet you like best.  That’s worth a lot these days when many are waiting over 12 months to get what they want.  If you like the Artesian best, then dig into the first Artesian dealer a little more. He might be great to work with. 

HoW2001

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 02:11:58 pm »
Did you end up getting an official price on the HS Pulse? I got quoted $12,300 on a Pulse that included install, steps, electrical box, cover/lifter. Just curious if you got an actual number and how mine compates.

$12,800 for install, steps, cover, lifter. 

HoW2001

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 02:13:59 pm »
Those are very good prices on the Grand Cayman.  What options does it have?   

Its the 51 jet, with dual footblasters.  Includes cover, but install (299), lifter (199) and steps (199) are all extra.  Seems to me may be better off going to a discounty type place for those last two items, but I'm a newbie so I'm not really sure if thats a terrible idea.

shadowmite

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 10:06:31 am »
As a point of reference I just got my Artesian Grand Cayman 61 with dual footblasters for $13100 all considered, tax, steps, cover, lifter, 8 months chems, install etc. Quite happy with it so far. :) Granted we ordered in September and it took until the end of Jan to get it...

HoW2001

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 11:33:34 am »
As a point of reference I just got my Artesian Grand Cayman 61 with dual footblasters for $13100 all considered, tax, steps, cover, lifter, 8 months chems, install etc. Quite happy with it so far. :) Granted we ordered in September and it took until the end of Jan to get it...

yeah, that price definitely beats mine, but that tends to be life in the Northeast (unless you live in the northeast, in which case I'd love to know where you got that!)

shadowmite

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 12:15:26 pm »
Denver. It's a really nice spa so far. Just used it for the first time yesterday. Found this forum looking around with some questions I had and your post caught my attention quickly. :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 12:15:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42