What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Please help me decide between Jacuzzi J-475 and Hot Spring Envoy  (Read 3018 times)

Kindly_Association12

Jacuzzi J-475 and Hot Springs Envoy are the 2 models we are considering. We are in Texas and we visited both Jacuzzi and Hot Springs dealers. They are both reputable dealers with seemingly happy customers.

I'm 6' tall and my wife is about 5'4", 2 kids under 10 and occasional guests. This will be our first hot tub and our primary use case is relaxation and message therapy. We considered the smaller models like HS Aria and the smaller Jacuzzi - even though they felt cozier, we are afraid they might feel cramped for with a 6ft person in the lounger.

We will probably use the hot tub a couple of times a week. We haven't wet tested any models because of the pandemic. Delivery times are far out for both models but that is not the main driving factor. Both quotes are in the 15-16k range without financing.

If we go the Hot Springs route, we plan to *not* get the salt system and stick with the freshwater ozone system instead so we do the enzymes and such to control the chrorine levels to our tastes.

Hot Springs Pros:
- No-bypass filtration and ceramic filters. This sounds like a better system but I also hear the argument that it's a marketing hype and not really necessary.
- Motomassage - I hear really good things about the moving jets and it is very attractive to us.

Jacuzzi Pros:
- We thought the J-475 has slightly better aesthetics, especially the waterfall.
- The dealer said the 2021 Jacuzzis come with both UV light (ClearRay) and Ozone system (ClearZone) working together. Best of both worlds or unnecessary?

Jacuzzi seems to have better foot massage with the foot dome.

Hot Springs Cons:
- No UV light filtration?
- Looks like they focus mostly on the salt water systems, should we stay clear of them if we're not doing the salt water system?

Jacuzzi Cons:
- No motomassage. This is not a big deal if the other jets are really good but we don't have a way to compare the Jets.

Hot Tub Forum

A.O.

Re: Please help me decide between Jacuzzi J-475 and Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 09:32:18 am »
I'm not a fan of either of those brands but that's me, you like what you like and I like what I like, Those guys seem like market overhype and priced accordingly. Another thing I do not like is the loungers, you lay down and put the jets on and you float away.
I've been doing hot tubs for 30+ years and have my opinions but they are just that... my opinions. I had lightning cook my last hot tub end of August and finally got my new one 2 days ago.. A Cal Spas Cancun EC-867B... long wait but worth it.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 08:14:29 pm »

- No UV light filtration?

That's nothing special, just marketed as special.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 10:53:16 pm »
Both are quality brands.  My personal opinion is pick the hot tub you like more and worry less about the water treatment at the moment.  Whether you use ozone or uv or a combination of both, you still need chlorine.  Saltwater is technically still chlorine.  Regardless which hot tub you buy, you can always change your water care routine but you cannot change your hot tub.

I sell Hot Spring so I have my preference.  The filtration in my opinion is absolutely not a gimmick.  You filter 100% of the water 100% of the time.  With any other system you will filter 100% of the water eventually.  Doesn't mean the Jacuzzi or any other system will be inadequate, just means that it may take longer to filter impurities out of the water.

A.O.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 09:14:08 am »
Both are quality brands.  My personal opinion is pick the hot tub you like more and worry less about the water treatment at the moment.  Whether you use ozone or uv or a combination of both, you still need chlorine.  Saltwater is technically still chlorine.  Regardless which hot tub you buy, you can always change your water care routine but you cannot change your hot tub.

I sell Hot Spring so I have my preference.  The filtration in my opinion is absolutely not a gimmick.  You filter 100% of the water 100% of the time.  With any other system you will filter 100% of the water eventually.  Doesn't mean the Jacuzzi or any other system will be inadequate, just means that it may take longer to filter impurities out of the water.

Explain this please..

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 03:33:17 pm »

Explain this please..

Those big square or round plastic grates at the bottom of most spas are bypasses so water is drawn from there during high speed operation and therefore bypasses the filter(s) and in a Hot Spring (Highlife Collection Only) the water runs through the filter(s) all the time even during high speed operation.  There's pluses and minuses to both systems,  but keep in mind on premium level spas you'll achieve adequate filtration with either system as long as you have enough filtration time, take care of your water, and clean/replace your filter(s) regularly so it shouldn't really be factored into a buying decision in my opinion.

A.O.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 09:19:57 pm »
Interesting, thanks for the explanation..

Sammi

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 11:18:44 pm »
I have a brand new Envoy, I'm 6'1", 215, and I live in my lounger. I've never been blown out from it even with every jet shut down to put full power at it, and frankly, I can't imagine having a spa without it. I also use a HS Vanguard without a lounger at my vacation place about 30 days/year and I will never own a spa full time without a lounger. To each their own though. My wife does get blown out. She prefer the captains chair in the Envoy which I love as well.

A.O.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 08:54:01 am »
I have a brand new Envoy, I'm 6'1", 215, and I live in my lounger. I've never been blown out from it even with every jet shut down to put full power at it, and frankly, I can't imagine having a spa without it. I also use a HS Vanguard without a lounger at my vacation place about 30 days/year and I will never own a spa full time without a lounger. To each their own though. My wife does get blown out. She prefer the captains chair in the Envoy which I love as well.

Yep, to each their own and that's why they make different styles. I have had both, lounger style and no lounger and I'll never own one again with a lounger.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 10:18:53 am »

Castletonia I disagree, you can't say this without knowing how the other tub is set to filter. A jet pump moving 125 gallons per minute will filter more water in 8 hours than a circulation pump that moves 12 GPM in 24 hours, about 5 times more, and the bypasses on almost all tubs does not open on low speed (filtration speed)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:27:03 am by Tman122 »
Retired

castletonia

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 12:48:09 pm »
Tman122, that is true.  I should have clarified that when jet pumps are on high speed that a Highlife Hot Spring will filter 100% of the water while a hot tub with bypass filtration will only filter eventually. 

chardy52

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 11:06:51 pm »
Good luck with your search. My two bits.....I have owned a Hot Springs Grandee for 25 years. The only work done was the replacement of the heater due to a factory recall. The heater replacement was done around year two. Since the its been trouble and leak free. A big plus is the no bypass filtration. There is no setting of a timer to turn on pumps to filter the water. It has a small fish aquarium size pump that filters the water 24/7 thru a single filter. Thus crystal clear water all the time and no need to program filter cycles. Another big plus is when jets are in use the water temp does not drop. Water is pulled thru the heater while in use maintaining the temp you set. Huge advantage! Good luck let me know if you would like more info.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 09:28:59 am »

I'm 6' tall and my wife is about 5'4",

Hello, welcome to the forum.   I've been here about 15 years or so and I am very impressed with the detail of  your post.  Normally I would say let the wet test decide, but we all know the pandemic is still out there! I'm sure glad I've had our hottub during this time. We normally get about 300 days a year in our tub 17 years after our first purchase.  In 2020 that was probably 350.   We haven't missed a day this year.

Without the ability to wettest, let your wife pic.  A shorter person with too deep of seats will use a tub less than a taller person with seats not deep enough. If you want her out there with you, let her pick.  We have always had the opportunity to wet test and found a compromise.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 09:28:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42