What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question regarding hardness  (Read 2643 times)

A Rai

Question regarding hardness
« on: January 16, 2021, 09:54:11 am »
I have a question regarding calcium hardness

We use a Water Softener to fill up the hot tub (I know it is not to be done), but what I'm wondering is, if I was to add calcium to my hot tub, it would increase the hardness level, Which in return should null the effect of a water softener? Correct or am I missing something here with that?

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Question regarding hardness
« on: January 16, 2021, 09:54:11 am »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: Question regarding hardness
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 11:29:49 am »
correct, you can add for a very cheap cost liquid calcium to the spa, just don't go overboard, I find 75-150ppm for calcium hardness is a good level where it's not too hard and not too soft.  Good Luck!

A.O.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 08:05:33 am »
I have a question regarding calcium hardness

We use a Water Softener to fill up the hot tub (I know it is not to be done), but what I'm wondering is, if I was to add calcium to my hot tub, it would increase the hardness level, Which in return should null the effect of a water softener? Correct or am I missing something here with that?

Thanks.

I'm thinking you should have a water line at your house that bypasses the softener.. for watering outside plants etc. Most houses have a provision for this.

shadowmite

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 02:15:34 pm »
My home uses a water softener and the outside hoses come off that same softener. The only thing not using that is the irrigation system which uses ground water (unfiltered and nasty grey water). So I need to get some Calcium up also. Just wondering per this thread, how important is this? Immediate action? Couple weeks ok?

A.O.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 07:07:19 am »
My home uses a water softener and the outside hoses come off that same softener. The only thing not using that is the irrigation system which uses ground water (unfiltered and nasty grey water). So I need to get some Calcium up also. Just wondering per this thread, how important is this? Immediate action? Couple weeks ok?

I personally have naturally soft well water and have used it for years with no ill effects...

CV3720

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 07:42:03 am »
correct, you can add for a very cheap cost liquid calcium to the spa, just don't go overboard, I find 75-150ppm for calcium hardness is a good level where it's not too hard and not too soft.  Good Luck!

Two different test strips show me down/around "zero" as far as hardness goes.

I picked up some calcium chloride on Amazon (less expensive "food grade" than "spa grade"). Would you say this page properly takes care of the math?  https://www.horizonpoolsupply.com/resources/calculators/raise-calcium-hardness

A Rai

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 03:23:54 pm »

Two different test strips show me down/around "zero" as far as hardness goes.

I picked up some calcium chloride on Amazon (less expensive "food grade" than "spa grade"). Would you say this page properly takes care of the math?  https://www.horizonpoolsupply.com/resources/calculators/raise-calcium-hardness

It would work to about 100 grams of the Calcium so that sounds about right. I had to put that amount in as per recommendation from my water testing company that sells the supplies for our tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 03:23:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42