What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine Discrepancies  (Read 3006 times)

Sammi

Chlorine Discrepancies
« on: January 07, 2021, 12:39:16 pm »
I recently returned from a 10 day vacation and my HS salt tub water was a bit cloudy. I forgot to turn the output down from 6 to 3 before I left, so was anticipating clear water. I tested with my test strips and the result was no chlorine residual. So I put in a out a quarter cup of chlorine granuales and tested the next day. Still no free chlorine reading.

I went to my dealer last night with a sample and they asked me if I had recently added chlorine. I told them a quarter cup on Monday night. Their reading showed I was at 15 for both free and total chlorine, and alkalinity was really high at about 230. I purchased brand new test strips and went home. Once again my tesr strips show no chlorine. My spa also doesn't smell like chlorine and my water is foaming and leaving a yellow residual. If my chlorine level is really that high shouldn't I have some color on my test strips? I currently have two different brands that are showing the same result.

When I called the dealer I got the same person who did my watwr test last night and he said I won't have a chlorine reading because it is a salt water tub. I don't buy that response at all because I've always had a chlorine reading on my test strips whether it be faint or strong. With a water test showing 15 my strip would definitely show dark color.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 02:16:38 pm by Sammi »

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine Discrepancies
« on: January 07, 2021, 12:39:16 pm »

TemptingDestiny

Re: Chlorine Discrepancies
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 02:20:16 pm »
Have your water tested for phosphates.

Sammi

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 03:14:52 pm »
Have your water tested for phosphates.

It was - about 300 was the result which the dealer said is low. Most of their customers are in the 1500-2000 range.

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 03:43:29 pm »
Chlorine is chlorine.  Doesn't matter if it is created by a salt system or if you are adding chlorine (dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo or sodium hypochlorite). 

Someone's test is off, either the dealers or yours.  If there is chlorine in your water, regardless of how it got there, your test strips will pick it up.  Phosphates will interfere with chlorine production which could result in your salt system not producing enough chlorine quick enough.  Can I assume that if your alkalinity is 230 then your pH is high as well?  If so, the high pH will make any chlorine in the water much less effective.

In regards to the cloudy water and the salt system.  How old is the water?  Do you have ozone installed?  Are you also using a silver ion cartridge?  Which Hot Spring?  Lots of variables here.  If you have cloudy water that means that not enough chlorine is being produced quick enough.  Whether this is a result of the salt system being set too low, the salt level not being ideal, bather load being too much or water chemistry throttling the system.

Sammi

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 04:25:25 pm »
Chlorine is chlorine.  Doesn't matter if it is created by a salt system or if you are adding chlorine (dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo or sodium hypochlorite). 

Someone's test is off, either the dealers or yours.  If there is chlorine in your water, regardless of how it got there, your test strips will pick it up.  Phosphates will interfere with chlorine production which could result in your salt system not producing enough chlorine quick enough.  Can I assume that if your alkalinity is 230 then your pH is high as well?  If so, the high pH will make any chlorine in the water much less effective.

In regards to the cloudy water and the salt system.  How old is the water?  Do you have ozone installed?  Are you also using a silver ion cartridge?  Which Hot Spring?  Lots of variables here.  If you have cloudy water that means that not enough chlorine is being produced quick enough.  Whether this is a result of the salt system being set too low, the salt level not being ideal, bather load being too much or water chemistry throttling the system.

Yes ph is high at 8.4. Instructions are to add 2 tablespoons of ph decreaser twice a day for 4 days to bring the alkalinity down. Tub is 4 months old. Water is 4 months old. Ive topped it off 5 times since delivery. Envoy, salt system, and ozone system.

I'm with you castle - I think the dealers test is way off. With 2 different brands of test strips they should show chlorine color especially if thr dealers results were in the 15 range. I've always got a bit of color even when I'm between 0.5 - 3.0 range. You basically affirmed my main question - my strips should be showing chlorine color if th dealers test is accurate.

My dealer was out of the  HS Freshwater branded test srrips  for a while. I had good luck using them because the colors were easy to read. Last time I left in vacation I balanced the water and turned the output down to 3, came back to crystal clear water after 10 days. The other brand test strips (which were more expensive) are hard to read, colors bleed, etc. I balance my water daily and did so before this last trip I took. Only difference was I forgot to put my output down so all things being equal my water should have been clear again upon my return. Obviously something was out of whack when I left to come home to somewhat cloudy water which is also foamy and the foam is leaving yellow/brown stains.

Roger

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 07:20:44 am »
Are you sure no one used your tub when you were away?

castletonia

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 12:02:22 pm »
Ok.  The output of 6 with ozone is about right for an Envoy so that is good.  Ozone will deplete any extra, or residual chlorine so it wouldn't be unusual to have low or no chlorine reading.  I would be curious if the hot tub got used without your consent because otherwise there wouldn't be an explanation for the poor water quality.  As for the test strips, I'm 99% certain the FreshWater test strips are made by Lamotte.  Generally speaking, I consider Lamotte and AquaChek to be on equal ground as far as quality goes. 

Does you dealer by any chance use a Spin Lab, either with Lamotte software or Bioguard software?  If so, have them retest your water.  It's possible to get a bad disk and when that happens typically 1-2 of the tests will be way off.  I probably had 20-30 bad discs out of 1000+ last year.

Sammi

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 11:27:22 am »
Ok.  The output of 6 with ozone is about right for an Envoy so that is good.  Ozone will deplete any extra, or residual chlorine so it wouldn't be unusual to have low or no chlorine reading.  I would be curious if the hot tub got used without your consent because otherwise there wouldn't be an explanation for the poor water quality.  As for the test strips, I'm 99% certain the FreshWater test strips are made by Lamotte.  Generally speaking, I consider Lamotte and AquaChek to be on equal ground as far as quality goes. 

Does you dealer by any chance use a Spin Lab, either with Lamotte software or Bioguard software?  If so, have them retest your water.  It's possible to get a bad disk and when that happens typically 1-2 of the tests will be way off.  I probably had 20-30 bad discs out of 1000+ last year.

Bioguard is the software. It is listed in the printouts I receive. I think my dealer had a bad test. That's not to say my water wasn't way out of whack. I put the recommended dose of ph decreaser in the past 2 days (dealer recommended 8 days) and my numbers are all  in line and my water looks good. Stopped addind the deceaser and going to have the water rechecked today or tomorrow. On a side note my titanium salt cartridge is going out. They seem to only last two months. I had this one set at 6 for the majority of the two months with a 10 day stint at 3. Never used the boost function.

Sammi

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 11:47:45 pm »
The test last week by my dealer was obviously way off. Had it tested over the weekend and no chlorine reading from their test or my test trips and their tesr strips. Salt level keeps increasing and is on the high end. It was recommended to drain the tub 1/2 to 3/4 and refill.

Given that I'll probably just drain it completely and start fresh. Haven't done a complete refresh since it was new in September. I've read on here that the water is much more stable after the first refill so hoping that is the case.

Any issues with draining a tub in the winter? It's supposed to be in the mid-30's when I drain it (northern Minnesota). I can only drain to my yard which will flow to the neighbors yard. Any issues with grass kill come spring?

A.O.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 08:38:50 am »
Draining into the yard should have no effect on the grass whatso ever, I drain mine into the yard every time no problems. No problem draining it in the winter as long as you fill it again right away (make sure your hose isn't froze) get it filled and running and you should be fine.

On another note, not sure how much I'd trust your dealer if he says you wont get a chlorine reading because its a salt tub!! All the salt does is turns into chlorine!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 08:38:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42