What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can low or high total alkalinity cause damage by itself?  (Read 1709 times)

David Sedrak

Can low or high total alkalinity cause damage by itself?
« on: December 24, 2020, 02:13:39 pm »
Something I've been trying to figure out is whether having a high or low total alkalinity can cause damage to a hot tub on its own (with normal pH levels) or is changing total alkalinity only a means to get correct pH levels. I have TA levels that are normal to low but chronically high pH. Could I go lower than 80 on my TA readings to try to get my pH to normal or is there some danger to the hot tub from low TA but normal pH.

Another way of saying it is that I'm considering going with a lower than normal TA to try to keep my pH neutral. Could that potentially cause any problems?

If low TA levels alone (with normal pH) can cause wear and tear to a hot  tub, at what level does low TA cause problems.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 02:18:37 pm by David Sedrak »

Hot Tub Forum

Can low or high total alkalinity cause damage by itself?
« on: December 24, 2020, 02:13:39 pm »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: Can low or high total alkalinity cause damage by itself?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 11:40:07 am »
if your pH is always high that TA will need to come down, you can go below 80 ppm with no issues, I have some customers running their TA around 40-60 which is where they need to keep it to stabilize the pH...Good Luck!

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Can low or high total alkalinity cause damage by itself?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 11:40:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42