What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First time buyer, frustrated by pricing  (Read 4227 times)

MPSoaker

First time buyer, frustrated by pricing
« on: November 28, 2020, 03:41:31 am »
Hi all.  I've been on the fence about getting a hot tub for years. Here's the problem I basically have - whenever I go check out the spas at a fair, or even in a showroom (long time since then), I always come away with an icky "used car salesman" vibe, with the hard sell tactics and techniques. I even had one guy at the fair become verbally abusive when I said I'd have to think about it and I was definitely not signing "on the spot" for something that costs so much. Walked away with a VERY HARD pass.

But of course I would like a hot tub to call my own, so I'm looking around again.

I've narrowed it down to something like a Hot Spot Rhythm or a Jacuzzi J-245 (not a fan of loungers). I guess if the price was right I could go for something like the J-345 with the recirc pump, etc.

But already I'm getting anxious about the process.  Like, why is it such a big secret with prices? Why can't they just list their prices online? Even the shady used car salesmen do that - you know what they're asking for up front, even if you disagree, and you can always haggle.

With this, I have received some quotes, but it's useless without any way to compare if those are good prices or not. What's the equivalent of KBB for spas? :)  Is it all anecdotal?  I've researched the threads on this forum (which is how I found this site) but much of the info is pretty old for each model, and even worse, it seems like some dealers think it's okay to charge more based on where you live (state, even by city).

I'm tempted to give up again, but now that I know about this site, maybe some of you can share your experiences and maybe even help me know if the quotes I got are reasonable? Talk me down off the ledge, so to speak? LOL

I'm in the Seattle area (not sure why that would matter one whit, but...whatever).
Hot Spot Rhythm: $8200 (and delivery not until Feb/Mar of 2021)
Jacuzzi J-225 (I did ask him about the J-225 as well): $8995 but wait, there's a "deal" for $7685
J-235/J-245: $10K normally, but again, magic deal on a J-235 soon for $8488

Those prices seem high compared to what I've seen discussed before, but again, those were old threads, and probably not Pacific Northwest (again, not sure why that would matter - don't they all come from Mexico?)

And the old "well, it's normally $xx but if you buy now it's $yy" is something that I just don't appreciate in general. Make the price be the price, you know?

Am I being too critical?  It's possible... I'm generally untrusting of people. LOL I don't think I'm being too cautious when it comes to spending that much money (cash purchase, FYI).

Any advice from those of you who've gone through this?

Hot Tub Forum

First time buyer, frustrated by pricing
« on: November 28, 2020, 03:41:31 am »

bud16415

Re: First time buyer, frustrated by pricing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 10:46:59 am »
I agree. We went tub shopping and I was thinking $5k would get me a nice tub. Sure they were out there and in comparing them It was 5k might get me a starter tub that would be short lived and cost me a fortune to heat it.

The more I looked the more apparent it was that these are luxury items different than buying a daily driver car that we all have to have. When something is a luxury item it is not a must have and you generally pay more than it is worth if you want it. By the time I figured out it was going to cost me around $12k to get the quality I wanted and a tub I hope to keep going for 20 years. I ended up with a top model from Caldera.

I mainly got it because it is what she wanted and even until the first time I used it I thought I spent too much and got too much tub. Now every time I get in it I’m glad I did.   

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 12:28:32 pm »
There is no MAP pricing for spas.  Here is why you might have frustration:

-What is the cost of the freight pricing the dealer has to pay for the spa?  Your location as compared to the manufacturer's location will cause a variation in baked in pricing as compared to everyone else on the internet.

-What is included with the sale?  Delivery - what is the radius?  Is it curbside or do they place it in your backyard?  Is electric included?  Do they fill?  Do they give a spa tutorial?

-What is included in the spa price?  Steps?  What kind of steps?  Cover lift?  What kind of cover lift? 

-What parts are standard vs optional?  Ozone?  What kind of ozone?  Lighting?  What kind of lighting?  Etc. etc. etc.

-What is the Series / Product Line / quality of the spas that you are considering?  Are you comparing apples to apples? 

-What is the commission of the sales person?  Small businesses need to make money too, remember.

-What is the "going rate" in your city / town / community? 

-Then you get into the differences between the spas and manufactuer...

I am not trying to defend any dealer per se.  Just noting that this is a business, and like any business, there are cost variables that do not simply make something a static price.  That is why the dealer is 50% of the equation - if you can trust them and if they have solid reviews then that should hold more sway than other lessor aspects.

I hope this helps shed light on why pricing can shift dramatically.  Its not always X = X.

Good luck moving forward.

MPSoaker

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 05:35:54 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I did consider that maybe location, and even the time of year (supply and demand) would be factors.

With that said, did the quotes I got at least seem reasonable?

For the Hot Spot Rhythm, that price includes a cover lift and steps. The Jacuzzi rep didn't actually mention anything about what would be included. I'd assume that means nothing, but with a possibility they'd throw some things in during the negotiation?

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 05:40:13 pm »
If it helps, I just sold a Relay for $7799 with a basic step (not from Hot Spring) and a Lift N Glide lifter.  I gave them a $500 rebate for cash, delivery in January since that is when it's projected to come in (I told them to be flexible though... more threats of shut downs could totally screw that up.)  Otherwise, it would be right around $8300

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 08:51:19 am »
I don’t know how it is around the country, but here the main places people shop for tubs at are large buildings with a good selection of tubs filled and running maybe an above ground pool and also patio furniture and a big room full of supplies. My point is lots of overhead and inventory sitting. Then there is normally two or more people working, and I’m the only one in the store or if there are more they don’t look like serious buyers just dreamers.

A lot of the profits from selling a tub seem to me to go back into the business cost of operations.

Mine is 30 miles away so I normally buy my supplies on line as it is cheaper and easier.

I saw a change in my store shortly after I bought mine and they moved away from the high end lines and are selling cheaper models mostly. They look great and I can see how they appeal to those first time buyers with hundreds of little jets rather than fewer large ones. Fancy colors and light but lacking insulation and large pumps.

We have another small pool store that used to sell tubs and they had just one tub in there and it had been there for 10 years. They had a lower overhead but couldn’t show you anything in person. They got out of the tub business and now just do pools. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 02:27:12 pm »

Am I being too critical?  It's possible... I'm generally untrusting of people. LOL I don't think I'm being too cautious when it comes to spending that much money (cash purchase, FYI).

Any advice from those of you who've gone through this?

Better too critical than too trusting but your point of view is actually pretty normal.

Keep one thing in mind, no matter how they frame it everything is negotiable. One way to know if you're getting a good deal is to firmly yet politely counter back. They can say "no" (if so ask them to counter your counter though they shouldn't need to be prompted) or they can simply say yes (often more like "yes but"...) or very likely they'll just recounter on the spot.

Have you ever watched Pawn Stars or one of those type shows where you see the person just accept the store's offer that they're given without haggling back. My first thought is "How do you say yes without asking first for a better deal regardless of whether they hold firm or not". Same rule of thumb applies and them simply saying the "$xxxx is firm" doesn't necessarily mean its rock solid firm until they say "no thats really our best offer"!

220, 221, whatever it takes!

icenogle

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 09:29:19 pm »
Did you end up buying a tub.  I bought the J-345 about 5 years ago in Federal Way.  So far no problems.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 09:29:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42