What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First post...  (Read 2688 times)

kiva

First post...
« on: November 23, 2020, 05:38:38 pm »
Greetings

Just doing a 1st post to say 'hello' and ask 1 question. We're in the planning stages with our yard a current blank slate and we start committing to placement of items soon. We have our first wet test tomorrow eve at a local HotSprings dealer. We don't have many dealers here, in general, so more on that in a separate post once we get things narrowed down a bit.

So, my Q: is it possible or advisable to put a tub in a 'corner'?  It's possible that the most convenient place for the tub is in a corner of the building where 2 sides would be close to a wall?. Is this a bad idea? Is it even possible to position it in such a way that the 2 easily accessible sides would have all that is typical serviced?  Is this tub dependent?  This is, of course, assuming leaving room for cover lift.

Oh, and PSA on hottubuniversity: as a layperson, that was the first thing that popped up in my search for info. He's a very convincing speaker to the uninitiated. Per his recommendation, we went to look at Master Spas at an Expo. The sleaziness of very interaction was so horrid, I actually ended up having to tell the salesperson to stop talking so I could ask questions (he kept talking over every question). It was EXACTLY like being on a car lot and the fast-talking salesman stuff is the same stuff you see in HTU's videos. All signs point to schill for Master Spas. I want nothing to do with any company that needs that type of sales job.

The HS dealer we're visiting with tomorrow has been around for 40 years and everybody I know that has bought from him has been happy (sample size = 5). We shall see once I get the list of availability. Earliest something is available is February, which seems fine with us if we get the tub we want.

Anyway, that's it. I'll put together a more detailed tub-related post once more info is gathered.

thank you

matt

Hot Tub Forum

First post...
« on: November 23, 2020, 05:38:38 pm »

bud16415

Re: First post...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 10:09:35 am »
It is nice if you can leave a little room around the tub for service, but the main area is the side where the equipment is. The cover lifter also may take more room than you think. We have ours close to a wall/railing that I made removable just in case.

If you live up north think about keeping the tub close to the door to the house and think about putting a roof over it for rain and snow. It is great watching the stars but nicer to not go out needing to remove a foot of snow or sitting in your tub when its raining.

Welcome to the forum.

kiva

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 12:39:34 pm »
Hello! I should have specified we're in northern CA, north of SAC. Very mild weather.

Thank you!

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 08:00:56 pm »
I'm up on the great lakes.

We put our tub in mid summer and enjoyed the stars every night. November came along and it seemed to be raining cold rain every night and i hurried up and built a covered pergola over it. Winter same and the cold winds were rough on the face and head so I rigged some curtains to pull.

Start off with wide open and time will tell you what you need.

I have had the equipment end opened up maybe 6 times in 7 years and none of the sides ever needed to come off. I had a leak one time and i replaced a pump this summer. 99% of any problems will be on that side.

Roger

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 08:56:53 am »
99% of any problems will be on that side.

I did a study based on 200 of my repairs when I was a service guy and it was 98%. LOL

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 04:33:43 pm »
99% of any problems will be on that side.

I did a study based on 200 of my repairs when I was a service guy and it was 98%. LOL

There is Murphy's law and if you build a deck to enclose 3 sides of a hot tub leaving only the service side open then the odds go to the problem being on one of those 3 sides to 99.96%.

I thought a lot about sinking my tub half way into the deck and talked to Murphy and went with the stairs. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 04:33:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42