What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking to buy my first hot tub  (Read 4051 times)

skeet

Looking to buy my first hot tub
« on: October 28, 2020, 02:29:26 pm »
I am looking to buy my first hot tub.  I was looking at the Artesian south seas 748L, Hot springs flair or relay?  Also was looking at PDC.  Which do you guys prefer or another brand? 

Hot Tub Forum

Looking to buy my first hot tub
« on: October 28, 2020, 02:29:26 pm »

A.O.

Re: Looking to buy my first hot tub
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 06:01:49 pm »
I bought an Artesian a bit over a month ago... after fighting it for said month I finally got the store to pick it up and give me a full refund.

I just bought a Cal Spa but I cannot give you my opinion of it as it has not arrived yet.

My advice is to buy one from a reputable local dealer that also services what they sell, so if something goes wrong they will stand up and fix it!

skeet

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 02:07:49 pm »
Why didn't you like it what exact model was it?

A.O.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 08:05:35 am »

It was an Artesian spas Island Spa line  "Captiva" model.

It had a large jet in the center of the floor in a "dome".. volcano jet, or whirlpool jet or whatever they called it and it would not stay in its hole!! As soon as you would turn the pump on it would just blow out. They ordered me a replacement but it just did the same.
The BIG problem though was the tub would not maintain the correct temperature! I like my tub at 103-104, I would set it at that, go to use the tub and the temp was at 105 or 106, 107 you just never knew so I would have to add cold water to it to use!! The people at the store kept telling me it was due to the great insulation, what a crock, insulation works both ways! So then he told me if it was warm out to set it at about 98 to get to the right temp! No, thats not how thing work! Then they came out and replaced the temperature sensors but again to no avail! So finally (I think they were tired of hearing from me) they agreed to come get it and refund my money , all except the $75 out of area delivery charge... YAY.

Good luck with your endeavor I hope you find a good one you like!! I've had hot tubs for 30 years and cant live without them! In it almost every day!

skeet

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 01:12:32 pm »
Oh wow..do you know anything about Hot Springs brand or PDC?  What brands do you recommend?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 07:07:06 pm »
Oh wow..do you know anything about Hot Springs brand or PDC?  What brands do you recommend?

A short list of the best spas varies from person to person but some of the brands that I'd expect to be on most lists would be Artesian, Bullfrog, Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. Obviously there are others people will like though I don't expect you'll see much chatter on PDC and I can't comment on them.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

A.O.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 08:14:49 am »

Let me say that, other that what I've heard or read while doing research, I know nothing about either. Lots of people have opinions on lots of stuff, me, I don't like to comment with out first hand knowledge on something and without actually owning/using one of those two not much I can say.
Best thing I can say is to do your research and in my opinion buy something from a local servicing dealer so if you do have problems you have someone to turn to. If you buy one on line or from a show at the fair or whatever you are kind of on your own (unless the fair guy is also a local servicing dealer).
I do like this guy and what he says makes lots of sense and concurs with what I've seen over the years (hope its ok to post a link here)

https://hottubuniversity.com/

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 10:17:04 am »

Let me say that, other that what I've heard or read while doing research, I know nothing about either. Lots of people have opinions on lots of stuff, me, I don't like to comment with out first hand knowledge on something and without actually owning/using one of those two not much I can say.
Best thing I can say is to do your research and in my opinion buy something from a local servicing dealer so if you do have problems you have someone to turn to. If you buy one on line or from a show at the fair or whatever you are kind of on your own (unless the fair guy is also a local servicing dealer).
I do like this guy and what he says makes lots of sense and concurs with what I've seen over the years (hope its ok to post a link here)

That Hot-Tub-University guy is not exactly well respected by most pros here as he preys on those not in the know spa wise and tries to drive him toward the product he endorses. He's is not giving an unbiased education. Its a lot of half-truths, exaggerations and deception mixed in with some truth of course but definitely laying out bread crumbs to steer people (IMHO).

A.O.

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 11:12:50 am »

That Hot-Tub-University guy is not exactly well respected by most pros here as he preys on those not in the know spa wise and tries to drive him toward the product he endorses. He's is not giving an unbiased education. Its a lot of half-truths, exaggerations and deception mixed in with some truth of course but definitely laying out bread crumbs to steer people (IMHO).

Sounds exactly like most if not all hot tub sellers!

And yes, he definitely does some steering but he also has some good insights.

And if "most pros" here mean manufacturers reps, salesmen and things like that, if they are trying to sell something and someone is pointing out flaws on their stuff or something, of course they are not going to like him or respect him. That doesn't make him wrong or them right.. or vice versa now does it. Got to look at both sides and weigh ALL the information you can find.YMMV
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 01:02:37 pm by A.O. »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 01:05:18 pm »

Exactly why he can’t be considered impartial at all. No matter the question he always pushes people towards Master. He also pushes Coast (without ever setting foot in factory or even ripping one apart), artesian and PDC because they pay him too. I know I’ve lost sales in the past because when people ask me who makes great tubs I tell them my opinions on the different brands out there. I obviously don’t sell all the tubs I think are great tubs. My list is similar to spatech list

A.O.

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 01:40:31 pm »

Exactly why he can’t be considered impartial at all. No matter the question he always pushes people towards Master. He also pushes Coast (without ever setting foot in factory or even ripping one apart), artesian and PDC because they pay him too. I know I’ve lost sales in the past because when people ask me who makes great tubs I tell them my opinions on the different brands out there. I obviously don’t sell all the tubs I think are great tubs. My list is similar to spatech list
[/quote]

Agreed, and he's very obvious about it, but there is also some good info on the site. Got to take everything with a grain of salt these days. AND look at ALL info you can find and make your own decision about things.
Who in the business is NOT impartial?... no one..

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 01:09:06 pm »

And if "most pros" here mean manufacturers reps, salesmen and things like that, if they are trying to sell something and someone is pointing out flaws on their stuff or something, of course they are not going to like him or respect him. That doesn't make him wrong or them right.. or vice versa now does it. Got to look at both sides and weigh ALL the information you can find.YMMV

Yes, he sure does!

Sam

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 01:54:22 pm »

It was an Artesian spas Island Spa line  "Captiva" model.

It had a large jet in the center of the floor in a "dome".. volcano jet, or whirlpool jet or whatever they called it and it would not stay in its hole!! As soon as you would turn the pump on it would just blow out. They ordered me a replacement but it just did the same.
The BIG problem though was the tub would not maintain the correct temperature! I like my tub at 103-104, I would set it at that, go to use the tub and the temp was at 105 or 106, 107 you just never knew so I would have to add cold water to it to use!! The people at the store kept telling me it was due to the great insulation, what a crock, insulation works both ways! So then he told me if it was warm out to set it at about 98 to get to the right temp! No, thats not how thing work! Then they came out and replaced the temperature sensors but again to no avail! So finally (I think they were tired of hearing from me) they agreed to come get it and refund my money , all except the $75 out of area delivery charge... YAY.

Good luck with your endeavor I hope you find a good one you like!! I've had hot tubs for 30 years and cant live without them! In it almost every day!

I wouldn't let this one anecdotal experience affect someone's decision to buy Artesian.  They generally build fantastic hot tubs with great reliability.

I have a great analogy.  My Grandmother bought a new Toyota Camry that was just a complete lemon.  Problem after problem within the first 3 years.  That doesn't change the fact that Toyota is the most reliable mainstream car brand out there.

A.O.

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 03:32:46 pm »

I wouldn't let this one anecdotal experience affect someone's decision to buy Artesian.  They generally build fantastic hot tubs with great reliability.

I have a great analogy.  My Grandmother bought a new Toyota Camry that was just a complete lemon.  Problem after problem within the first 3 years.  That doesn't change the fact that Toyota is the most reliable mainstream car brand out there.
[/quote]

Interesting, last Toyota I had the frame rusted through and broke in half.. haven't owned one since!! But I tend to buy American when ever I can... 4 dodge trucks in a row now, and the  wifes Charger has 240k on it

And I wasn't telling someone not to buy an Artesian, they asked me about my experience and I told them.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:52:51 pm by A.O. »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 03:32:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42