What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Alternative to mineral cartridges  (Read 2839 times)

jamiho

Alternative to mineral cartridges
« on: September 29, 2020, 12:16:20 pm »
I'm going on 3 years as a hot tub owner. I started with using the inline system on my Marquis Destiny, with one bromine cartridge and one mineral cartridge.  Then I switched to a floating sanitizer dispenser and just put 2 mineral cartridges in the inline system.  Now I use chlorine granules as needed and just the mineral cartridges inline.

I'm kind of sick of spending almost $60 every time I change the water to replace the mineral cartridges, and I don't like the environmental waste of the cartridges either.  Would it be OK to leave the inline system empty and instead use something else for minerals?  Are there any more environmentally friendly (and inexpensive) options for minerals?

Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

Alternative to mineral cartridges
« on: September 29, 2020, 12:16:20 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Alternative to mineral cartridges
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 08:11:30 am »
I'm going on 3 years as a hot tub owner. I started with using the inline system on my Marquis Destiny, with one bromine cartridge and one mineral cartridge.  Then I switched to a floating sanitizer dispenser and just put 2 mineral cartridges in the inline system.  Now I use chlorine granules as needed and just the mineral cartridges inline.

I'm kind of sick of spending almost $60 every time I change the water to replace the mineral cartridges, and I don't like the environmental waste of the cartridges either.  Would it be OK to leave the inline system empty and instead use something else for minerals?  Are there any more environmentally friendly (and inexpensive) options for minerals?

Thanks in advance.

Stop using the mineral cartridge and see if it makes a difference. I bet you won't notice.
Retired

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 11:52:22 am »
My inline holder has been empty for 8 years with no problem and I tossed the minerals after the first one. I really feel it is a gimmick.

The only time I have used the inline after switching to the cheap and simple dichlor/bleach method is when we go away and I stick an @ease chlorine canister in. I open them up and dump the contents into a sealed plastic container I labeled @ease. If we are going away for a week I add one forth of it, 2 weeks half or it etc. Snap the lid back on and stick it in the tubs holder. If we are only gone for a couple days I just give the tub a shock dose of dichlor.   

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 11:52:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42