What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Trying to determine the age and manufacturer of a used hot tub  (Read 1817 times)

Magnum

Trying to determine the age and manufacturer of a used hot tub
« on: September 21, 2020, 10:35:04 am »
Hi. I am planning to buy a hot tub. I was going to get a new budget spa from Dreammakers or Masters (Getaway line) which is less than $4000. However, I also found a guy nearby who is selling his used hot tub. It is well maintained and he hires a spa company who cleans it and adds chemicals regularly. He does not know who the manufacturer is and how old it is as he bought it with the house. It uses a Balboa control system and has wooden cabinet. He would be willing to sell it for around $1000. I would appreciate if someone could take a look at it. Maybe someone would be able to recognize the manufacturer?

Here's a link to few pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/ts4knsb

Thank you!

Hot Tub Forum

Trying to determine the age and manufacturer of a used hot tub
« on: September 21, 2020, 10:35:04 am »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Trying to determine the age and manufacturer of a used hot tub
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 01:25:48 pm »
Looks old......I would think 400-500 is maybe all I’d pay. Make sure that wood frame isn’t rotting out underneath.

Magnum

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 03:27:33 pm »
I contacted Balboa about the details and they replied that the manufacture date of the control unit was 03/23/2016. That might be possible because the owner bought the house last year so he just estimated that its 6 years old, can be less than that.
I am pretty positive that I located the manufacturer as well, I think its Spa Manufacturer Inc, located in Clearwater, FL. It is local to the sellers location and it looks very close to other tubs from this manufacturers factory.
This hot tub is up and running, temperature is set to 95-100 F daily and its maintained weekly, the owner states that all jets and controls are running. It sits in a million $ house.
I am not sure about the reliability and quality of this factory. It has great reviews on google and other portals, its A+ on BBB and is over 35 years on the local market.

I contacted the manufacturer and they use materials dedicated for Florida which helps them keep the prices down compared to bigger manufacturers, that is:
- Acrylic shell backed by 7 layers of resin and fiberglass,
- Glued piped (not clamped)
- Plastic jets with chrome plating,
- Cedar wood cabinet (which according to the manufacturer, is enough insulation, so there is no other form of insulation)

Just to add, I am a DIY so I should be able to maintain it. I will also add some sort of insulation just in case.

I will try to negotiate the owner to sell it for $500. Do you think it will be worth it?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 04:23:55 pm »
If you are in a warm weather state maybe, cold weather state I would buy something insulated.  Those tubs have zero insulation

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 04:23:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42