What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Committing to a Spa  (Read 6777 times)

d00nut

Re: Committing to a Spa
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 05:28:27 pm »
To me, the dealer is the most important thing, the spa the second.

I had someone come in today and wet test a bunch of hot tubs.  They tested a couple of Marquis, Artesian, and landed on a Hot Spring Jetsetter LX.  They had no idea what they wanted, what they preferred, but in jumping back and forth between the various hot tubs, they decided they liked the salt system the most and loved the moto jet.  They trust me to keep my promises, so it just came down to what they liked best :)

In my experience, the top-tiered brands aren't going to have much difference in terms of reliability.  Bullfrog for instance isn't a ton more reliable than Hot Spring, and vice versa.  You have to choose what is most important to you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 05:28:27 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 07:58:02 pm »
Just a couple comments not related to price or model or the brand you're mentioning.

1) Sometimes when someone is in a rural area excessive distance is unavoidable but a 90 minute distance would make me pause (not eliminate, but definitely pause) if you have other equally good options relatively close by. If you have trust in them then that's fine but if you're in an area that freezes that would really be the main concern if you were to go down hard.

2) I'm really surprised by the delivery dates they're quoting as manufacturers are swamped. You should go in with the idea there is a good chance they'll not meet those dates just so you're not too disappointed and in reality its something you'll have to deal with wherever you buy and the dealers can only rely on what they're being told so hopefully they're not over-promising.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

kiva

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 11:09:57 am »
Just a couple comments not related to price or model or the brand you're mentioning.

1) Sometimes when someone is in a rural area excessive distance is unavoidable but a 90 minute distance would make me pause (not eliminate, but definitely pause) if you have other equally good options relatively close by. If you have trust in them then that's fine but if you're in an area that freezes that would really be the main concern if you were to go down hard.

Thank you. We're in the northern sacramento valley, so mild winters. I recently found that there is a BF dealer north of us that is actually closer (60-70min), but they are new to BF. I'm trying to figure out the arrangement for service.

2) I'm really surprised by the delivery dates they're quoting as manufacturers are swamped. You should go in with the idea there is a good chance they'll not meet those dates just so you're not too disappointed and in reality its something you'll have to deal with wherever you buy and the dealers can only rely on what they're being told so hopefully they're not over-promising.

So, the story I'm being told is this: dealers were allotted "slots" each month based on their volume. Once those slots are sold, they sell for slots for the next month, etc. The primary dealer we're working with right now claims that he had 1 slot in February and then 2 in March (and others after).

What has transpired is that, we wet tested saturday, he and I talked Monday. I'm not super thrilled with his pricing and we're trying to figure the aforementioned service issue. I told him Monday I'd have to further consider. Surprise: When I talked to him Tuesday afternoon, the february slot was gone and the March ones still available.

Yes, it's possible he's being truthful...but it also smells like a sales tactic; that is, February never actually existed. Had I took it, I would have been pushed off to a later month anyway, etc. Basically, creating the illusion he has slots that other dealers don't and then just put people off a month or whatever once it approaches. Could this be confirmed with BF or am I overthinking it?

The new dealer in Redding did tell me they have been allotted 3 tubs as a new dealer for April. Who knows on that too.

Trying to figure out if one is being fleeced in this process is kind of a PITA.

Sam

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 01:55:05 pm »
I highly doubt anyone is fleecing you.  Bullfrog dealers have limited slots and it's different for every dealer, partially based upon previous sales metrics.  Things change daily, especially with covid demand increases.  I've had several customers go home to think about it and the slots fill up within hours.  I had a cancellation and my sales guy sold that spa 30 minutes later.

It's an insanely unprecedented explosion in our industry.  25 years in the business and nothing has ever come anywhere close to what we are seeing. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 02:13:19 pm »

Thank you. We're in the northern sacramento valley, so mild winters. I recently found that there is a BF dealer north of us that is actually closer (60-70min), but they are new to BF. I'm trying to figure out the arrangement for service.

So, the story I'm being told is this: dealers were allotted "slots" each month based on their volume. Once those slots are sold, they sell for slots for the next month, etc. The primary dealer we're working with right now claims that he had 1 slot in February and then 2 in March (and others after).

What has transpired is that, we wet tested saturday, he and I talked Monday. I'm not super thrilled with his pricing and we're trying to figure the aforementioned service issue. I told him Monday I'd have to further consider. Surprise: When I talked to him Tuesday afternoon, the february slot was gone and the March ones still available.

Yes, it's possible he's being truthful...but it also smells like a sales tactic; that is, February never actually existed. Had I took it, I would have been pushed off to a later month anyway, etc. Basically, creating the illusion he has slots that other dealers don't and then just put people off a month or whatever once it approaches. Could this be confirmed with BF or am I overthinking it?

The new dealer in Redding did tell me they have been allotted 3 tubs as a new dealer for April. Who knows on that too.

We are all dealing with allocations for tubs for 2021. On Saturday I had 5 slots open for a tub delivery on a March order. Today I have zero. It changes daily. I am also making people aware that there are plenty of things out of dealers hands right now. Such as lockdowns happening, parts being delayed, issues with covers and whatnot. It’s crazy right now. I would be willing to bet those 2 March slots will be filled by weeks end. I highly doubt he’s making things up, unfortunately right now it’s the way things are

kiva

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 04:55:42 pm »

We are all dealing with allocations for tubs for 2021. On Saturday I had 5 slots open for a tub delivery on a March order. Today I have zero. It changes daily. I am also making people aware that there are plenty of things out of dealers hands right now. Such as lockdowns happening, parts being delayed, issues with covers and whatnot. It’s crazy right now. I would be willing to bet those 2 March slots will be filled by weeks end. I highly doubt he’s making things up, unfortunately right now it’s the way things are

Thank you for this. I really appreciate it. When I get into this world that starts to feel like buying a car, I get super paranoid I'm getting played.

My wife being the badass she is, was able to put it succinctly: even if you are getting played - and you're probably not - isn't that his job? To get the most he can for a product that the market will allow? He's trying to make money - he owns the place. 

The place 70min north of us said they can't match his price anyway, so we're just going to commit to the March date and see what happens.

When you said you would have 3 slots and then they would disappear: that's because of sales or because the factor would change parameters?

kiva

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 04:57:28 pm »
I highly doubt anyone is fleecing you.  Bullfrog dealers have limited slots and it's different for every dealer, partially based upon previous sales metrics.  Things change daily, especially with covid demand increases.  I've had several customers go home to think about it and the slots fill up within hours.  I had a cancellation and my sales guy sold that spa 30 minutes later.

It's an insanely unprecedented explosion in our industry.  25 years in the business and nothing has ever come anywhere close to what we are seeing.

Thank you. It's taken me a while to get to this spot of understanding...

what do you think of just saying, "screw it. I've gone this long without one, I'll just wait until next summer / fall and see where the market is. Enough time for things to sort themselves out post-vaccine? Probably impossible to predict.

Thank you for your insights.

castletonia

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 06:07:06 pm »
If you have found a hot tub you like then go for it now.  The market isn't going to change during 2021. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 07:46:08 pm »

Thank you for this. I really appreciate it. When I get into this world that starts to feel like buying a car, I get super paranoid I'm getting played.

My wife being the badass she is, was able to put it succinctly: even if you are getting played - and you're probably not - isn't that his job? To get the most he can for a product that the market will allow? He's trying to make money - he owns the place. 

The place 70min north of us said they can't match his price anyway, so we're just going to commit to the March date and see what happens.

When you said you would have 3 slots and then they would disappear: that's because of sales or because the factor would change parameters?

Selling tubs fast right now. In my area I think most dealers are out 4-6 months

kiva

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2020, 12:50:05 am »
Thanks everybody. We went ahead and got the R7L. Right now figuring out any other options besides the jetpacks and circ pump...

Sam

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2020, 01:48:37 pm »
Thanks everybody. We went ahead and got the R7L. Right now figuring out any other options besides the jetpacks and circ pump...

Probably the right move.  My guess is that we won't see anything resembling normal until well into 2022, or beyond.  Some manufacturers are over a year out on new orders.  There's no way they are going to get caught up until well after that. 

What we are seeing now is so ridiculously unprecedented that it's hard to communicate to customers.  People just aren't getting it.  Imagine more than doubling demand and combining it with all of the problems of a global supply chain being affected by a pandemic.  Shutdowns, social distancing at factories not designed for that, people quarantining due to exposure or fear, the California ports are on lockdown and parts are just sitting there for weeks at a time.  It's insane.  Getting yelled at daily because of the delays is starting to wear on myself and our entire team. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm super thankful that we are doing well during a time where things could so much worse and are for a lot of industries.  It's just been super stressful and customers just don't understand.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2020, 06:43:33 pm »

Probably the right move.  My guess is that we won't see anything resembling normal until well into 2022, or beyond.  Some manufacturers are over a year out on new orders.  There's no way they are going to get caught up until well after that. 

What we are seeing now is so ridiculously unprecedented that it's hard to communicate to customers.  People just aren't getting it.  Imagine more than doubling demand and combining it with all of the problems of a global supply chain being affected by a pandemic.  Shutdowns, social distancing at factories not designed for that, people quarantining due to exposure or fear, the California ports are on lockdown and parts are just sitting there for weeks at a time.  It's insane.  Getting yelled at daily because of the delays is starting to wear on myself and our entire team. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm super thankful that we are doing well during a time where things could so much worse and are for a lot of industries.  It's just been super stressful and customers just don't understand.

That last paragraph......Feel the exact same way

kiva

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 07:24:14 pm »
Thank for this reminder. It took a while, but I eventually have grown to understand what is going on. Much appreciated. a

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2020, 12:15:12 pm »

this x100....it's such a mess, they'll be lucky to be caught up by 2022...most of these manufacturers have a rolling 'build que' of about 500-700 spas during a normal good year, they now have have 5,000 - 7,000+ spas to build with not enough parts or manufacturing capacity to build anywhere near that number even during a 'normal year'

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2020, 12:15:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42