What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The hidden costs of a new hot tub - What did your electrical and pad cost?  (Read 2085 times)

lugoismad

Something I really didn't put much thought into when I went to a dealer and put a down payment on a hot tub, was the cost of getting a pad poured (my deck isn't big enough, and I didn't build it, so I don't know if its strong enough) and running the electrical.

I looked into building an addition onto my deck, however wood is very hard to get right now due to the COVID-19 issue. Everyone is at home and working on projects. I went to Lowes and the only pressure treated wood they had was 6 foot 4x4s and all of them were in terrible shape.

My brother in law works for a landscaping company, and moonlighted this job for me. He charged me $500 to do the labor on pouring the pad, making the forms, and putting a broom finish on it.

Well worth it to me, as the whole reason I decided to get the tub was because of a bad lower back.

He showed up with a mini bobcat

Concrete was $570 for 3 yards. That was after $7 per yard for fiber $20 per yard for Saturday and a $60 small load fee.

Here is my pad finished

You'll notice the old concrete isn't level. Its not. At all. My house is 120+ years old.

Next is electrical.

I purchased a used (installed, but never turned on) Spa box on ebay for $130 shipped. It included the box, GFCI breaker, 30 feet of liquid tite flex conduit, and some other wires I ended up not needing. The previous owner bought it but ended up needing a 60 amp unit instead of 50.

4 conductors of THHN 6 gauge at 55 feet came out to $140 at my local electrical supply house.

I ran THHN from the disconnect to the hot tub.

125 feet of 6/3 Romex was $145. I ran that from my 100 amp sub panel in my garage to the disconnect.

The 50 amp breaker was $12. And 5 sticks of 3/4 sch40 conduit was $10.

So my total just to have somewhere to put it and turn it on was...

$500 pad install
$570 concrete
$130 spa box + liquid tite
$140 - THHN wire from spa box to spa
$145 - 6/3 romex (only used about half of this)
$12 - Breaker
$30 - conduit, fittings, mix stuff like that.

$1527 total.

I thought this might be helpful to folks who are looking into getting a hot tub and wanted to know the additional costs beyond just the tub.

And it would be helpful if others could chime in on what it cost you for all of this.

Final product -

My greenhouse is getting taken down this fall after my tomatoes and melons die off and I'm moving the garden to another part of the yard next year. Along my fence line is thornless blackberry bushes I put in last year, so I had a little cover, but I went ahead and added that pull out screen. I have some really nosy neighbors and just didn't want to have them staring at me out the window, because thats something that they have and will do.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:44:01 am by lugoismad »

Hot Tub Forum

swilly1000

Did you consider running the electrical up from underneath the pad for a stealth install?

lugoismad

Did you consider running the electrical up from underneath the pad for a stealth install?

Yes. I had wanted to, however the dealer advised me not to because it would make positioning it difficult and if I got a different tub in the future it may not be compatible with the same spot.

I'll be getting some hold downs and strapping it down with some tapcons soon.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42