What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance 850 Altamar error message  (Read 2767 times)

sundancer

Sundance 850 Altamar error message
« on: July 28, 2020, 09:31:53 am »
I have a Sundance Altamar (850 series). I’ve noticed a few times lately power has been interrupted to the spa, and once got this error message of “ - - - -“.
If I turn the breaker off and back on, things start running again smoothly. That said, electrical issues around a spa make me a bit nervous. I’m in a remote area with a hard time getting a service tech out to take a look. Anything I should be checking out?

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance 850 Altamar error message
« on: July 28, 2020, 09:31:53 am »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
Re: Sundance 850 Altamar error message
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 03:47:03 pm »
What do you mean by power has been interrupted to the spa?

sundancer

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 10:05:30 pm »

I should have been more clear.  The hot tub is on whenever power to the home is on, but on a few occasions I've gone to get in and noticed that there was no power to the tub.  Then recently I noticed that error message.  Perhaps on the other occasions that error message has been there as well and I just didn't notice it (it's a message that could be easy to miss, with just the hyphens.  Perhaps I just glanced and thought the display was blank, and the tub unresponsive when I tried to turn the blowers on)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 07:56:47 am »

I should have been more clear.  The hot tub is on whenever power to the home is on, but on a few occasions I've gone to get in and noticed that there was no power to the tub.  Then recently I noticed that error message.  Perhaps on the other occasions that error message has been there as well and I just didn't notice it (it's a message that could be easy to miss, with just the hyphens.  Perhaps I just glanced and thought the display was blank, and the tub unresponsive when I tried to turn the blowers on)

Does the power to the house stay on all the time?
Retired

sundancer

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 12:43:49 pm »

No, the home is off grid and powered by an 11.5 kw generator.  Power is on approximately 5 hours per day, when needed. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 01:06:32 pm »

No, the home is off grid and powered by an 11.5 kw generator.  Power is on approximately 5 hours per day, when needed.

So every day the tub gets turned on for 5 hours? How long has this tub been turning on and off every day? What year tub? Did you purchase it new?

I ask because I'm not sure what effect the on/off, on/off has on the controls?
Retired

sundancer

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 02:54:35 pm »

So every day the tub gets turned on for 5 hours? How long has this tub been turning on and off every day? What year tub? Did you purchase it new?

I ask because I'm not sure what effect the on/off, on/off has on the controls?

That's correct, the home is used primarily on weekends.  I'd say the entire power system gets turned on/off an average of 3 times per day.  If we leave the house, for example, the power is shut off. 
Tub is about 15 years old, for whatever that is worth.  Never any issues until the last week or so. 

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 10:50:04 am »
The ---- error could be a few things.  And sometimes it does fade out.  Some of the issues include:

Not getting adequate power
temperature sensor
Power kicking on and off too quickly
Mice chewing wires on the control panel
Clogged filter

You can check the temperature sensor when the spa is on by using a known good thermometer and testing it against what the spa display says.

sundancer

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 11:05:33 am »
Thanks, SerjicalStrike.  You've given me some things to check out.  A few thoughts:

I was doing some work with a mitre saw on that same circuit, perhaps I limited the power to tub?  The breaker didn't trip, but wonder if it could have been related.
Mice are an issue everywhere in the house, I'll take the panels off and check the wiring.
We've also gotten an "OH" message periodically, I do wonder about the temp sensor.  Will check with a thermometer.  Thanks again.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 11:05:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42