What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to build gravel pad?  (Read 3145 times)

da_guy2

How to build gravel pad?
« on: July 11, 2020, 09:18:20 pm »
We've ordered a Nordic Warrior XL 110v which should be here in 6-8 weeks. Or dealer asked that we have either a gravel pad or a poured concrete pad. I'm opting for gravel as I'd rather not have a giant slab of concrete in our yard (nor do I think it's necessary for a smaller tub like ours). The only problem is they didn't provide and details beyond that it must be level. Does anyone have any recommendations? I.e. depth, type of stone to use, etc? I like the idea of pea gravel but I could foresee it being an issue. Also, would a reinforcing grid (i.e. something like this https://iowatgroupinc.com/handygrid#/diy-concretefree-base-for-hot-tubs) be a good idea or is it overkill for a smaller tub like ours?

Hot Tub Forum

How to build gravel pad?
« on: July 11, 2020, 09:18:20 pm »

Pcola77

betsbillabong

Re: How to build gravel pad?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 06:06:48 pm »
@da_guy2, what did you end up with? I just purchased a Nordic Escape MS and am wondering if I can support it with gravel and a product like the one you mentioned.

Roger

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 07:18:45 pm »
@da_guy2, what did you end up with? I just purchased a Nordic Escape MS and am wondering if I can support it with gravel and a product like the one you mentioned.

Good solid compacted class 2 or better 4-6" deep will be fine. (where do you live?) But I prefer a built up design like of course a slab, but wood, decking or e-z pad or a solid base of some sort will be fine. Frost, soft ground, a lot of things need to be factored in........

da_guy2

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 08:35:09 pm »

Ended up digging down just shy of 8 inches. Lined the hole with a geotextile. Filed with 6" of high-performance bedding (1/4" crushed limestone with the fines cleaned off) in 1-2" layers compacting between each layer.

Topped it with ecoraster grid https://www.ecorastergrid.com/. It's a german product similar to the other one I linked before but was able to find a company selling it locally for 1/2 what the other one would have cost. I then filled the grid with a combination of the bedding mix in the middle and pea gravel around the outside.

So far so good but the big test is how it'll hold up over time.

betsbillabong

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 01:19:21 pm »
Thanks for the update. Those products are interesting to me. I'm curious what those in the business think of this approach. I would much prefer not to pour a concrete slab for a variety of reasons, including environmental sustainability, cost, and permanence. However, it's important to me that it hold up over time (of course!).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 01:19:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42