What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First hot tub in about THIRTY years... and I analyze more now! (aka: questions!)  (Read 3257 times)

CV3720

We bought our first (and thus far only) hot tub in the late 80's. For some reason the name "Pacific Marquis" came to mind, but I really can't recall. I do know it was considered an 8-person tub - and the color was mauve. It was not a cheap tub then -- something like $3-4k?? We sold it by the mid/late 90's when it fell into (constant) disrepair.

We recently purchased a vacation home in Canaan Valley, WV - where it gets much colder than Florida, lol. The 25 year old tub (a "Gatsby" from when the house was new) is ready for the landfill.

In that area the only two stores which sell/service tubs are about an hour away (Elkins, WV and Oakland, MD). The only options are Jacuzzi and Hot Spring - and their floor inventory is pretty sparse at the time being. Neither of them offer regular water care given the distance, only repairs. There are a couple of realty/rental management companies in the valley who offer regular care. One of these companies also sells and installs PDC tubs, and maintains about 80 of them. For an annual plan it's about $800.

We're only able to get up there for a week every couple of months, so having someone there to provide regular checkups is a must.

So, it really comes down to those three brands. The place in Oakland was very "pro salt" for the Hot Spring (I think they mainly deal in that brand). No real mention of salt from the other place, and when pressed as to which tub he would consider the better tub (between Hot Spring and Jacuzzi), he leaned toward Jacuzzi. BTW - I can say with 100% certainty that we're not going to do any type of wet test. My decision will be based on reviews, product specs, and what your collective experience can enlighten me on!

Budget wise I have some flexibility. The lowest number I heard was low/mid $5K range for a PDC Twilight installed from the local place, a Hot Spring Hot Spot model for about $7,200 (from the place in Oakland), and the Elkins store (a few Jacuzzi's which were priced out): J-245 $6500, J-355 $9,500, and a J-575 for $13,800. So really, anywhere in that range is not unreasonable if we get something that's going to last and suits our needs.

Having said all of that - there are some space considerations as well. The current hot tub is 80" wide, and has basically 12" to spare on either side. Depth (not water depth) is more forgiving, having a few feet to spare. The local fellow already went out and took a look and suggested an additional two 6x6 posts in the middle to support a couple more beams underneath the existing deck (for a couple of hundred $'s - didn't sound unreasonable to me). It's 12' from the ground to the top of the railing, but he said they can get it up there. :)

-----------------------

So:

> Salt ... Hot Springs puts it out there as new/improved and all that. From a few things I've read, it's an expensive short and long term option with some people reviewing that they can't keep things balanced.

> Brand comparison (thoughts/experiences) regarding reliability, warranty, performance, etc?

> What's the consensus here - bromine or chlorine?

> Ozonation - beneficial or hype. Same goes for UV-C. Any pros/cons?  Any change in chemical needs/levels as a result?

If I went with PDC, I'd probably lean towards the (~$8,300) "Luxury Biscayne" - 79"x90", 37" deep. With an approximate 11 week span between placing the order and receiving the tub.

I look forward to any thoughts, insights, or recommendations you folks might have to offer... and I'll probably have more questions too!

THANKS

Hot Tub Forum

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
The PDC will not be as well built as the Jacuzzi or HS. But with a local maintenance company providing after sale service and maintenance maybe that's not a bad option as long as you know going in. The PDC should be a lot cheaper for the first 5-8 years, then you may need a new tub. You can have 2-3 PDC's for the price of the others.

I would avoid all the salt, ozone, UV stuff for what ever the maintenance company recommends.
Retired

CV3720

The PDC will not be as well built as the Jacuzzi or HS. But with a local maintenance company providing after sale service and maintenance maybe that's not a bad option as long as you know going in. The PDC should be a lot cheaper for the first 5-8 years, then you may need a new tub. You can have 2-3 PDC's for the price of the others.

I would avoid all the salt, ozone, UV stuff for what ever the maintenance company recommends.

Thanks for the response :)

Not sure if it's just because that's what they (local company) sells, but the service guy says they see more issues with other models (two Jacuzzi's just last week - yes, not statistically relevant!).

So, in your opinion - there's no advantages to the ozone/UV? Is that based on a cost/benefit over time reasoning, or does it stem from reliability/efficacy?

Chlorine vs Bromine... just personal preference? The service guys just recommends a floating dispenser with bromine tabs - and they'd check every ~2 weeks.

THANKS

Red MC

I think Tman's point is that if you're going to have a company maintain the water for you, go with whatever sanitation system they recommend.

Our current spa is 16 or 17 years old and the whole time we've been using CD ozone + mineral (Nature2/similar) + a small amount of chlorine after each use.  We've gone through a couple of periods where we used it very infrequently.  When we're not using it, it still requires a shock every 2 weeks or so.  The mineral cartridges are supposed to be replaced every 6 months, but we've delayed replacing them before for >1 year and it made no difference.  So either they last a heck of lot longer than advertised or are ineffective for us.

Our friends who have a vacation home use a floating bromine dispenser (not sure the brand) because if they shock the spa after last using it, it can maintain the water through a month of inactivity.  However, you need a higher concentration of bromine than chlorine for the same effect and it always has a little bit of foul odor (kind of like a public swimming pool but not as strong).

Supposedly UV light breaks down bromine, so that particular combination sounds like a bad idea.  Salt would also be a bad idea if you're not using it & maintaining it frequently.

CV3720

Thanks for the reply/info !!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Bromine feeders are easy. But higher odor, higher maintenance of water balance.

All of the other "supplements" may or may not be worth it to you. To me, the benefit is not enough to justify the cost. Sure, UV, ozone, minerals work. But you still need a good level of sanitation from bromine or chlorine.
Retired

CV3720

All of the other "supplements" may or may not be worth it to you. To me, the benefit is not enough to justify the cost. Sure, UV, ozone, minerals work. But you still need a good level of sanitation from bromine or chlorine.

Ah - ok. I thought it was chlorine which would have the stronger odor. Good to know!

I read somewhere that (whatever bromine breaks down into) some of it is converted back to its useful state by... and here's where too much reading here/there starts to confuse me... either UV-C or Ozone... ?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke

Ah - ok. I thought it was chlorine which would have the stronger odor. Good to know!

I read somewhere that (whatever bromine breaks down into) some of it is converted back to its useful state by... and here's where too much reading here/there starts to confuse me... either UV-C or Ozone... ?

Chlorine dissipates quickly in hot water, this is why it is not the preferred sanitation regimen for tubs with low, sporadic usage (no one there to add it every other day or so). Bromine feeders do exactly that, feed bromine continually.
Retired

The Wizard of Spas

I work for a manufacturer and we note what products you cannot use (Tri-Chlor tabs, Biguianide, etc) and then state parameters of which you need to stay within (proper pH and alkalinity, for instance).  That is it.  The dealer tends to dictate what you use as a client of theirs for a slew of reasons:  They were trained on XYZ sanitizer 20 years ago and that is all they know, or they will have an exclusivity on a certain product so its to their advantage to pitch that, or they truly feel that whatever their way is is certainly the best way, or they may present several options and simply let you choose. 

The point is - there are many ways to treat a spa.  Source water, region, usage, cost, personal preference, etc. all play into the decision.  There is no best way.  Just ways that might be better for your specific situation.  But most importantly, the manufacturer is unlikely to dictate what you *must* use.

Hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

CV3720

Thanks for all the input!

I pulled the trigger Tuesday on a PDC Malibu - with all the options except a cover lifter and built in stereo.   :)

Delivered (they're going to do a factory pick-up), hooked up, the old one hauled away, and reinforce my deck for $10,800 "out the door".
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 07:00:35 am by CV3720 »

CV3720

Question --- does anyone on these boards actually own a PDC tub ?

EDTI: (Probably better posted as a new thread in order to get responses)  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:14:57 am by CV3720 »

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42