What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Tub Purchased - Electrical underneath the brick, or through side chaseway?  (Read 4746 times)

JoesTub

Hi,

I ordered a Bullfrog A8L last week, (delivery in 10 weeks) and I'm in the process of getting quotes for a brick patio/pad, as well as electrical service.  The spa looks to have 2-3 side entry points for electrical, and it looks like electrical can also come from underneath the brick patio/pad.

What is the preferred way to have the electrical run?

I'm assuming it would look cleaner if it were run underneath; however, this would require me to coordinate with the landscaper as they lay the brick, and would potentially limit future options (should i remove/replace the Spa)

If I run it through one of the chaseways, it would not look as clean, and would be a slightly longer run, but would provide greater flexibility in the future.

This is my first time buying a Spa, and also my first time having hardscaping/electrical work done, so please forgive my ignorance if it seems i'm overthinking this.

Thanks

Joe
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:34:43 am by JoesTub »

Hot Tub Forum

swilly1000

I ran mine underneath and it's a cool stealth install.  It requires serious coordination between you, your concrete and electrical guys and your dealer or manufacturer. Get a schematic of the underside of the tub to pinpoint the exact entry spot, check, double check and triple check the location of the conduit before the pad gets poured and congratulate yourself later for being so thorough.

JoesTub

Thanks swilly1000 - appreciate the encouragement.  I have the schematic and have made  brick guys and electricians aware when i asked for quotes.

Quick question - do i have the electrician dig the trench and run the conduit first (and brick layed around it), or, have the brick layed, with a cut out for where the conduit will come throught?

Joe

swilly1000

I had a concrete pad poured after the electrician trenched the conduit 18" (I think) below ground.

I had to correct the electrician's spot for the conduit before the pad was poured so ensure you are very diligent about the spot from which it comes up underneath.  Don't rely on your trades guy or you may end up super-pissed if they miss the mark.

Your brick guy should be able to cut around it when laying down the brick.

Below is a link to a photo of the pad just prior to the delivery of the tub. You can see the conduit on the LHS of the pic between the paver stones that I initially laid down for the tub to sit on so I could mark the spot to cut the ABS pan at the bottom of the tub:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kmMFTzPvZZjxFGhu7
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:08:38 pm by swilly1000 »

JoesTub

thanks again - that makes sense to me.  I hear you on making sure i have the cut out spot measured correctly - I have that calculated and will make sure i go over it again before finalizing the plans.

Pcola77

I recently did the same (but under a stone base, not concrete or pavers), and am really glad I did. Just didn't want to worry about drilling a hole into the side, having conduit there for someone to trip on, etc.

BUT, our sales people were horrendous (although maybe partially blamed on how busy they have been because of COVID), and acted like I was crazy, and that no one does that, and they didn't have any schematic.  I knew they had one of our model on the showroom floor about an hour away, so I said I wanted to go there to look at it myself, and then they finally claimed to understand what I wanted to do. they told me where to drill up, and I said I could still come look just to be extra sure.  They assured me I didn't need to.  And of course they told me the wrong spot.   Luckily our electrician is a family friend,so he did the extra work to zig-zag around stuff that was in the way.  End result, I am happy with the cleaner look, but just make super duper sure you have the right spot.

JoesTub

I recently did the same (but under a stone base, not concrete or pavers), and am really glad I did. Just didn't want to worry about drilling a hole into the side, having conduit there for someone to trip on, etc.

BUT, our sales people were horrendous (although maybe partially blamed on how busy they have been because of COVID), and acted like I was crazy, and that no one does that, and they didn't have any schematic.  I knew they had one of our model on the showroom floor about an hour away, so I said I wanted to go there to look at it myself, and then they finally claimed to understand what I wanted to do. they told me where to drill up, and I said I could still come look just to be extra sure.  They assured me I didn't need to.  And of course they told me the wrong spot.   Luckily our electrician is a family friend,so he did the extra work to zig-zag around stuff that was in the way.  End result, I am happy with the cleaner look, but just make super duper sure you have the right spot.

Thanks Pcola77.  I am using the schematic for the tub that I found on Bullfrogs website, https://www.shopthegreatescape.com/_wss/clients/20/assets/A8L:R8L:X8L.jpg and have updated the sketches i've made in Visio.  Here is my math:

Brick patio will be 12' X 9'; the base of the tub is 89.6" square.  I'll be positioning it so that it has an equal gap from each side and the back.

Internal Electrical Stub up is 5" from front, and 5" from left side.

Width = 108"
Tub = 89.6"
Total width gap = 18.4"
Gap on each side (right, left, back) = 9.2"

Mark to center of Stub up from Left = 14.2" (9.2" + 5")
Mark to center of Stub up from Back = 93.8" (9.2" + 89.6" - 5")

Thanks

Joe

Pcola77

That math looks right, good luck!

Thanks Pcola77.  I am using the schematic for the tub that I found on Bullfrogs website, https://www.shopthegreatescape.com/_wss/clients/20/assets/A8L:R8L:X8L.jpg and have updated the sketches i've made in Visio.  Here is my math:

Brick patio will be 12' X 9'; the base of the tub is 89.6" square.  I'll be positioning it so that it has an equal gap from each side and the back.

Internal Electrical Stub up is 5" from front, and 5" from left side.

Width = 108"
Tub = 89.6"
Total width gap = 18.4"
Gap on each side (right, left, back) = 9.2"

Mark to center of Stub up from Left = 14.2" (9.2" + 5")
Mark to center of Stub up from Back = 93.8" (9.2" + 89.6" - 5")

Thanks

Joe

swilly1000

Of course there is a schematic! If the dealer tells you otherwise, that's an open invitation to contact the manufacturer (and tell them about the dealer's ignorance of same).

Your experience is a perfect example of not relying on what someone else (especially the dealer!?) tells you. If you want something done right....
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:51:08 am by swilly1000 »

JoesTub

Update - my tub was delivered yesterday.

Electrical was trenched, and brick patio laid last week.  I re-measured after the patio was in to update my target, and created a template, that I would use to line up the spot for a pilot hole on the bottom of the tub.  All the videos i saw of tub delivery, had the tub on it's side, so i figured it would be easy to get to.  Instead, they came an hour early (which would've been welcome, if i wasn't on a conference call), and they brought the tub in, on a dolly, resting on it's bottom.  There wasn't room to get the drill in underneath, so I had to drill my hole from inside the equipment compartment.  Well, without a template, I was off on my spot.  After they placed the tub over the conduit, it didn't look bad, and i'm probably the only one who would've noticed, but after all the planning i had undertaken, it would've bugged me.  There is a black border of bricks that make it obvious if it isn't centered.  So, if i was going to correct it, i needed to do it before i filled the tub.  I measured the distance the tub needed to move, marked the plastic base, and went at it with my dremel.  took some time, but once i removed the piece and slid the tub over, it's perfect.

My advice to anyone else planning something similar - either insist when they deliver that they lift it on it's side so you have access to the bottom; or, have an additional template ready to go that corresponds to the interior of the equipment compartment.  It's getting wired up now as i'm typing this.  Thanks everyone for the feedback.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:41:07 pm by JoesTub »

JoesTub

deleted
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:42:03 pm by JoesTub »

Frogger

Nice tub and pad! Although I'm perplexed you got yours so soon...i ordered my A8D may 15th and am still waiting. They tell me this month I'll get it...

JoesTub

Nice tub and pad! Although I'm perplexed you got yours so soon...i ordered my A8D may 15th and am still waiting. They tell me this month I'll get it...

Hey Frogger - Sorry to hear that.  I feel pretty fortunate getting it so quickly, I actually thought they were blowing smoke when they told me the original estimates, but they met them.  I'm in the Chicago area, and bought from the Great Escape - not sure if those factor into quicker delivery.

Good Luck, hope yours arrives this month

Frogger

Hey Frogger - Sorry to hear that.  I feel pretty fortunate getting it so quickly, I actually thought they were blowing smoke when they told me the original estimates, but they met them.  I'm in the Chicago area, and bought from the Great Escape - not sure if those factor into quicker delivery.

Good Luck, hope yours arrives this month

Your well wishes have some clout dawg....My salesperson called today and  said I'm getting it next week. We need to do vegas because you brought me some luck...ha! Anyway I like your pad design...its the nicest one I've seen...very elegant.. An interior shot would have been cool to see but I'm sure you are pretty busy right now enjoying  it all
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 12:35:54 am by Frogger »

JoesTub

Your well wishes have some clout dawg....My salesperson called today and  said I'm getting it next week. We need to do vegas because you brought me some luck...ha! Anyway I like your pad design...its the nicest one I've seen...very elegant.. An interior shot would have been cool to see but I'm sure you are pretty busy right now enjoying  it all

Glad to hear that.  I'm normally in vegas at least 2-3X/year.  Not gonna happen this year, so the money i would've brought to vegas was spent on the hot tub.  No pics from inside the tub yet - i'm a jr chemist apparently.  Never had a hot tub, or pool before, so it's my first time dealing with getting the water right.  Still treating it for high-alkalinity.  Will be sometime tomorrow before i can start correcting PH.  Should be in it by evening tomorrow - fingers crossed.

Thanks for the compliment on the pad.  I wanted it to look like it was here when the original brick patio was put in, so i had the landscaper match the type of pavers, and carry the border design throughout the walkway/pad.  Came out better than i expected, and I expected a lot.

Here's another pic to show how it matches up to the existing patio.  Patio used to end where you see the mulch in the foreground.  They moved two bushes that were there, removed some of the existing pavers and created the walkway.  I had marked that area with spraypaint for the path and the patio, they nailed the rest.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 10:55:33 am by JoesTub »

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42