What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Vanguard price  (Read 4197 times)

Steelcity

Hot Springs Vanguard price
« on: June 13, 2020, 10:09:42 am »
Hi everyone.

This is my first post to the board, but I have been lurking around for a bit reading and learning. Thanks to all the posters and responders for the info being shared.

We are in the market for our first tub and are strongly leaning towards Hot Springs. I received a quote on a Vanguard and a Flair. I like the Vanguard but the price is a little salty...

Right now we have an out the door quote of 13,343.00 which includes the matching Highlife steps, cover cradle lifter, cover, sub panel, chemical pack and of course delivery.

Is this a great price, good price or just an average price for this tub?  The Flair on the other hand is much less coming in at $9811.00

My second question is the Highlife Series “worth” the $3500 more? I know worth is sort of subjective here, but thought I’d ask.

Thanks in advance

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Vanguard price
« on: June 13, 2020, 10:09:42 am »

ratchett

Re: Hot Springs Vanguard price
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 07:37:35 am »
How's the dealer?  Do you like them?  Have you checked any other Hotspring dealer in your general region?  I personally saved 20% on my Jetsetter purchase simply by visiting both Hotspring dealers equidistant from my rural location (very different business models - one was a large big-backyard makeover type store, the other sold/serviced hotspring spas exclusively).  No haggling needed, just very different business models and operating margins.

Most first-time buyers don't realize the dealer is going to be your point contact for all warranty service (and often the lifespan of the tub).  They will be the ones covering labor costs for warranty service if/when there is an issue with the tub.  Be sure you trust them to do the job right, and not outsource to the lowest-bidding spa tech in the region.  In my case my dealer has their own trained Hotspring technicians on staff who have been with the company a long time, all they work on is Hotspring spas and nothing else, and I wanted that for such an expensive investment.

My second question is the Highlife Series “worth” the $3500 more? I know worth is sort of subjective here, but thought I’d ask.

I'm a huge fanboy of the Hotspring brand.  In my opinion, that's a solid yes.   In fact the Limelight tubs weren't even sold under the Hotspring brand until recently - heck the Highlife tubs are the only ones assembled in their California factory, the other two tiers are assembled in Mexico.   If you look at the internal construction differences between the Limelight and the Highlife, you'll notice differences like a polymer frame vs pressure treated wood which can rot and crack over time.   Other differences include multi-density spray foam insulation which helps increase thermal efficiency and reinforce the plumbing to prevent stress caused by jet-pump activation which can jostle loose plumbing around in lesser-insulated tubs.   With proper care/maintenance, you might see an extra 10+ years lifespan out of a Highlife tub over the Limelight series.    But only if you intend to care/maintain the tub - if you're going to let it sit dry and empty for five years so the rubber seals rot away, then no it's not a good investment.

So I think you need to ask yourself do want to get a bigger bang for your buck with a product built to live longer if you care for it?   If you just want to play around with hottubs and have no problem with buying a new tub in around 10-15 years then sure, save money consider the Limelight series.

To me, I waited twenty years until the right time/place to buy my first hottub.  I knew I wanted something built to last a long time.  Although I also did instantly fall in love with the sexy style of my 2019 Jetsetter - it was perfect for the location I had picked out for the tub.  And nothing else on the market (except the Marquis Vector, natch) came close in styling
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 07:42:06 am by ratchett »

castletonia

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 08:22:13 am »
I assume that is a tax included price since you say out the door.  In that case, very good price.  I would consider it a good price even if tax wasn't included.  That Flair price is also a good price.

Yes, I would say the Highlife Collection premium is justified based on what you are getting.  That is not taking anything away from Limelight though.  If you have the opportunity to wet test, I would and let that be the determining factor.  I'm a huge fan of the Moto-Massage jet so for me that alone would be a tipping point. 

Steelcity

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 01:32:01 pm »
Unfortunately the only other dealer is about an hour and a half away from us whereas this dealer is 20 minutes. The dealer further away was hesitant to even give pricing until it was clear the hometown dealer didn't have the tub we wanted. Once he understood that he started to open up a bit.
My understanding from the hometown dealer is that whoever sells the tub has to service it during the 5 yr warranty period. If this is actually true I wouldn't want to get hit with trip charges so I would have to exclude the dealer further away.

I didn't know about the Limelight not being under the Hotspring brand.. Good to know.
I'm a particular about the things I spend significant money (the wife says I'm an over researcher) but so be it, so no this won't be sitting empty and I definitely want it to last.

Thanks for replying I really appreciate the detailed response, its very helpful.

Stay tuned for which one we decide on.

How's the dealer?  Do you like them?  Have you checked any other Hotspring dealer in your general region?  I personally saved 20% on my Jetsetter purchase simply by visiting both Hotspring dealers equidistant from my rural location (very different business models - one was a large big-backyard makeover type store, the other sold/serviced hotspring spas exclusively).  No haggling needed, just very different business models and operating margins.

Most first-time buyers don't realize the dealer is going to be your point contact for all warranty service (and often the lifespan of the tub).  They will be the ones covering labor costs for warranty service if/when there is an issue with the tub.  Be sure you trust them to do the job right, and not outsource to the lowest-bidding spa tech in the region.  In my case my dealer has their own trained Hotspring technicians on staff who have been with the company a long time, all they work on is Hotspring spas and nothing else, and I wanted that for such an expensive investment.

I'm a huge fanboy of the Hotspring brand.  In my opinion, that's a solid yes.   In fact the Limelight tubs weren't even sold under the Hotspring brand until recently - heck the Highlife tubs are the only ones assembled in their California factory, the other two tiers are assembled in Mexico.   If you look at the internal construction differences between the Limelight and the Highlife, you'll notice differences like a polymer frame vs pressure treated wood which can rot and crack over time.   Other differences include multi-density spray foam insulation which helps increase thermal efficiency and reinforce the plumbing to prevent stress caused by jet-pump activation which can jostle loose plumbing around in lesser-insulated tubs.   With proper care/maintenance, you might see an extra 10+ years lifespan out of a Highlife tub over the Limelight series.    But only if you intend to care/maintain the tub - if you're going to let it sit dry and empty for five years so the rubber seals rot away, then no it's not a good investment.

So I think you need to ask yourself do want to get a bigger bang for your buck with a product built to live longer if you care for it?   If you just want to play around with hottubs and have no problem with buying a new tub in around 10-15 years then sure, save money consider the Limelight series.

To me, I waited twenty years until the right time/place to buy my first hottub.  I knew I wanted something built to last a long time.  Although I also did instantly fall in love with the sexy style of my 2019 Jetsetter - it was perfect for the location I had picked out for the tub.  And nothing else on the market (except the Marquis Vector, natch) came close in styling

Steelcity

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 02:06:34 pm »
Yep, it sure is. That's good to hear i didn't want to push if this was a great price, but I was feeling a bit frustrated about not being able to get or know what a "good" price really is on these things. Wish it was more like car shopping where you can see or get the dealer price and go from there.

We tested in an Aria and a Flair, they didn't have a Vanguard available. The wife likes the lounge in the Flair, but I'm not 100% sold on a lounger. On the other hand, I like the Moto-massage chairs and she was more of a "Meh" on them. The 100% bypass filtration, the polymer frame, and base pan (or whatever its called) are big positives in my book.

Due to COVID it sounds like there is a huge backlog in manufacturing so we are going to have to wait quite a while anyway.

Thanks for the input!

I assume that is a tax included price since you say out the door.  In that case, very good price.  I would consider it a good price even if tax wasn't included.  That Flair price is also a good price.

Yes, I would say the Highlife Collection premium is justified based on what you are getting.  That is not taking anything away from Limelight though.  If you have the opportunity to wet test, I would and let that be the determining factor.  I'm a huge fan of the Moto-Massage jet so for me that alone would be a tipping point.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 04:18:46 pm »

My understanding from the hometown dealer is that whoever sells the tub has to service it during the 5 yr warranty period. If this is actually true I wouldn't want to get hit with trip charges so I would have to exclude the dealer further away.

Ask what the trip charge is and then negotiate it. Let them know its a sticking point, you don't have to necessarily exclude them over it. BTW, the hometown guy can charge a trip fee as well even if they're 2 miles away. Basically everything is negotiable to a point!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Footrace1

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 02:05:10 pm »
Wait the $13,343 includes tax??? How much are you paying in taxes?  I'm being quoted way more than that before taxes (but haven't really begun to negotiate yet and may hold off until market conditions change).

castletonia

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 04:07:53 pm »
Unfortunately the only other dealer is about an hour and a half away from us whereas this dealer is 20 minutes. The dealer further away was hesitant to even give pricing until it was clear the hometown dealer didn't have the tub we wanted. Once he understood that he started to open up a bit.

I didn't know about the Limelight not being under the Hotspring brand.. Good to know.
I'm a particular about the things I spend significant money (the wife says I'm an over researcher) but so be it, so no this won't be sitting empty and I definitely want it to last.

Thanks for replying I really appreciate the detailed response, its very helpful.

Stay tuned for which one we decide on.

Limelight is a line of Hot Spring Spas.  Hot Spring has 3 product lines: Highlife, Limelight, and Hot Spot.  While the Highlife Collection is made in a separate factory, they share components.  Same pumps, heaters, electronics (except control panel), circulation pump, cover, etc.  Highlife will have exclusive features like Moto-Massage, No-Bypass filtration, insulation, etc but to state that a non Highlife Hot Spring is not a Hot Spring is in my opinion a statement that holds no truth and is poor in taste.  The Hot Spot Collection was not marketed as a Hot Spring until this year.  Prior they were marketed as "From The Makers of Hot Spring".  I believe Limelight has had the Hot Spring name ever since they were introduced back in 2008.  FWIW, I do no more service on Limelight than I do on Highlife.

Pricing varies by region and dealer overhead.  If $1,000 off will make you want to purchase, ask your dealer.  If they say no now they will probably say no next year. 

The dealer that sells that hot tub is obligated to perform any warranty service work per the dealer agreement.  If a different dealer did not sell the hot tub they cannot be forced to service the hot tub if they don't want to. 

Steelcity

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 05:37:54 pm »
Wait the $13,343 includes tax??? How much are you paying in taxes?  I'm being quoted way more than that before taxes (but haven't really begun to negotiate yet and may hold off until market conditions change).

Yeah that’s the out the door all in price. Taxes are about $845 +/-. We were told it would be a 16 week wait so we’ll see if that holds true.

Wrigleyville82

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 03:25:09 pm »
Your price seems great compared to what I received via e-mail today. I haven't been in yet to talk through if they can offer anything better, but the Vanguard quote I received was $19,600 US with salt. Seems way out of bounds compared to your number.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 03:25:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42